Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Would a diesel be suitable for this driving?

• 19-08-2021 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Current car is a diesel (2009 Saab 93), currently looking for replacement. Budget 15-20k (ideally closer to 15), automatic, want something very nice trim, interior & that makes you smile each time getting into it. Was looking at Skoda Octavia but after looking at BMW & Merc the Octavia seems solid but not exciting at all.

If I went with diesel I'd have much wider choice & better value. Had current car for about 8 years, haven't had any issues related to diesel re driving distances. Previously I was driving 30km round trip to work 5 days a week. That'll be 2 days a week now, besides that many short trips (5km or less round trips- school/sports), 36km round trip 2 or 3 times a week & every 2nd or 3rd month a long trip (100-200km to destination and same back). Also the odd 40km round trip.

So my question is would a diesel be ok for this type driving?

Cheers,

Pa.

Comments

Yes, I drive my Diesel 15KM to work and 15KM back from work five times a week and never had an issues.

It usually gets one good spin of around 90KM round trip once every two months.

I've never had an issue and been driving Diesels 15 years. Current car is actually a 2018 Skoda Superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd say you will be fine but I would consider petrol and hybrid though your choice will be less and probably more expensive to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

That's my exact predicament- 330e hybrid (lovely) or Hyundai Ionic fully electronic (nice but I'd prefer if the interior was more luxurious).

I can get a very nice diesel for a lot cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

We had the exact same dilemma recently and would do similar mileage.

Just bought the diesel :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

We were in the same boat except for the longer trips. Our 2012 diesel was suffering for lack of high mileage, various valves giving trouble so we went for a plug in hybrid and have problems getting rid of the petrol in the tank now! I'd blow the balls off the diesel if you get one on the long trips. Rev right up through the gears, get it hot and sweaty the way it was designed to do, burn off all that crap being redirected in to the engine.

Best of luck with the new car.

• Advertisement
Advertisement