We've partnered up with to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from and get an exclusive discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Commercial Tax on a used Vehicle

  • 18-08-2021 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭ Tommyboy40

    Hi All. If I buy a used vehicle which is commercially taxed, will I need a VAT Number to tax it? I already have business cover on my car but €333 versus €1850 defeats even man maths at the moment


  • Registered Users Posts: 72,028 ✭✭✭✭ Atlantic Dawn

    Yes will need VAT or herd number when you first tax it.

  • Registered Users Posts: 17,409 ✭✭✭✭ ELM327

    Depends on your county's motor tax office.

    I've taxed commercials in Meath and Kildare.

    Kildare needed only the garda declaration and the payment

    Meath needed the garda declaration, proof of commercial insurance and payment.

    In neither county did I need a VAT or herd number. I am below the threshold where you are required to register for VAT (75k) and am not a farmer so do not have a herd number.

  • Registered Users Posts: 13,169 ✭✭✭✭ Bass Reeves

    It varies from county to county. It more being registered as a sole trader than a vat number is required in some counties.

    You really need to ring the Motor tax office in you county to see what they require.

    When I taxed a commercial vehicle in Limerick, I had to provide proof of commercial insurance ( nearly all insurance companies insure a van as commercial now), I had to get the declaration signed by the gardai and I had to get a revenue certificate of being registered as a some trader.

    They would not accept a herd number registeration. Vat number will suffice as it indicates you are either registered as a sole trader or as a company

    Slava Ukrainii