Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Metrolink south of Charlemont

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Not wanting to take this thread too far off topic, but joining the GL above ground at Charlemont does open up solutions for the Luas GL stub that is left at Harcourt.

Putting a line from GCD to join the Red Line along the South Circular (the Grand Canal is too narrow unless the motor traffic is removed) opens up so many possibilities. Continue further along, onto the North Circular, and many more possibilities open up. There are tricky places to navigate passed, but no worse than already dealt with by the current two Luas lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

I wonder if one way systems could be implemented on the Grand Canal and SCR to reallocate space to PT / Luas. Could make cars westbound on GC and eastbound only on SCR.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think that might warrant a new thread.

However, if the GL south of Charlemont is to become the Metrolink from Charlemont above ground, then the two outstanding issues remain - Dunville Avenue and the road crossing at St Raphaela's Road. Both can be dealt with long before ever the Metrolink is built as far as SSG. Dunville Ave by closing the road and putting in a pedestrian/cycle bridge. St Raphaela's Rd is solved by putting in Metro bridge with the station on it straddling the road.

All can be achieved without the four (or was it five) year closing predicted by one of the well known voices against the whole project.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,272 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Demolishing the houses in Peters place and taking the church car park looks like the best option for a connection to the tunnel. They're going to demolish many more homes on Tara St for the station there so that's clearly not a barrier. They could even build the same or greater number of homes as apartments with the spare bits of the site when the tunnel tie in is finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭DoctorPan

That's not far off from the 3rd proposed corridor that Aecom came up for Luas Lucan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Munurty

This video about orbital trams was released today.

I don't think we can do cheap and fast build in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Why can't Dunville be made two way and barriers like at dart Stations installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I assume you mean if the line was upgraded to Metro? At peak there would just be too many movements to make it practical. Could be a metro passing every 90 seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Yeah... so they can give a green for a minute at a time. Its only peak times its an issue.... also people will just start going other ways at peak times if its an issue...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

They can’t give a minute, there are safety tolerances for timings, see how much before a dart the gates drop. It would effectively close the road anyway.

• Advertisement

Besides which, level crossing gates are very dangerous because drivers do not respect the lights.

Even on the Dart, it means the gates are closed more than half the time at busy times. The gates close 2 minutes before the train arrives, so the Metro with a 90 second frequency means the gates would never open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Level crossings would be 100% out of the question with metrolink being a fully autonomous system, nevermind the frequency of it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Dunville residents opposed the bridge when the Luas was built. They can live with the consequences of their actions.

Station would have been on the embankment (where the old rail station was) with lifts had the bridge been reinstated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

For a city so fundamentally lacking in core radial lines, the idea of building an orbital line is putting the cart before the horse.

On the contrary, after Metro we'll have 6 radials; Metro, Dart Coastal, Dart West, Dart South West, Luas Red, Luas Green.

An orbital Metro route would supplement all current trams / rail modes and the entire Bus network.

A 15-20 minute bus ride would bring huge numbers of people to a high speed, high capacity and high frequency Metro. No single radial route could possibly benefit as many customers as an orbital.

Trams are not radial mass transit, and when Dart is complete that's 2 radials not 3.

Just some journey examples to show the wide reach of a Grand Canal Metro (about 7.5km long, 10minutes ride).

1) Sallins to Grand Canal Dock:

Dart to Heuston West (30min), Metro to Docklands (10min). Total journey time 40min (c. 15min saving versus current)

2) Rathgar to Grand Canal Dock:

Bus to Portobello (15min), Metro to Docklands (4min). Total journey time 19min (c. 17min saving versus current)

3) UCD to Inchicore:

Bus to canal at Leeson Street (17min), Metro to Suir Road (7min), Red Luas to Blackhorse (10min). Total journey time 34min (c. 32min saving versus current)

4) Crumlin to Airport:

Bus to canal at Dolphins Barn (8min), Metro to Charlemont (4min), Metro to Airport (22min). Total journey time 34min (c. 26min saving versus current)

We need metro tunnels through the core, not going around it. A similar project going east-west through the centre would be far more useful. I doubt the canal route is even feasible.

"No single radial route could possibly benefit as many customers as an orbital."

That's nonsense.

Another example to show it's not nonsense.

5) Tallaght to Grand Canal Dock:

Luas to Suir Road (25min), Metro to Docklands (10min). Total journey time 35min (c. 21min saving versus current)

its total nonsene. none of these are major trip generators

• Advertisement

The area between Leeson Street and the Liffey, right along the canal, has the largest concentration of office space in Dublin.

To say that this area is not a trip generator is utter nonsense.

This route doesn't serve the area between Leeson Street and the Liffey.

I think you'll find my suggested route does. Here was my suggested "nonsense" route with a rough 500m corridor marked in.

It doesn't take a huge leap of imagination to connect it directly across to New Spencer Dock, which would bring the line directly across the river.

Don't forget there are plans to house 8000 people in Glass Bottle site of Ringsend. That's a massive trip generator, which a red line extension will struggle to serve.

I struggle to understand why you think this suggested route is nonsense.

That's less than half the area you described. Try to cut the hyperbole. Your concept is a non starter.

Its not a struggle to understand, its very simple. Its nonsense because it bypasses the CBD. Totally ass backward. And building under the canal is more nonsense.

Let's assume my suggestion goes to New Spencer Dock rather than Ringsend and, as I've also suggested, a Luas is built from Heuston West or James to College Green.

Now compare options. At the very least my option is not nonsense and it is extremely disingenuous to say it is.

Your suggestion:

My suggestion

None of the above changes the fundamental problems of lack of CBD access and the generally silly idea of building under the grand canal.

Anyone coming from Dart West or South West can change to Metro at Glasnevin to get to the CBD which I assume you take as SSG.

Building an extremely expensive DU tunnel will shorten that journey by about 5 minutes max.

• Advertisement

The CBD is the whole city centre (plus Docklands) area where the bulk of employment and commercial activity is.

DU is about far more than that one example, which would be much more than 5 minutes quicker by the way. More nonsensical hyperbole.

Advertisement