Advertisement
Boards are fundraising to help the people of Ukraine via the Red Cross at this horrific time. Please donate and share if you can, you will find the link here. Many thanks.

Are you concerned about the destruction of the natural world and climate change?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,999 ✭✭✭ Thelonious Monk

I'd say more like 10 or 15. I think our neighbours might be back too as soon as food shortages become regular occurances

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭ RandomViewer

Not actual food shortages, lack of variety was the main issue, The Daily Star up there with the Journal as a credible source now

I don't mean the Brexit food shortages and lack of truck drivers, I mean pollution and climate change making food production difficult worldwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,462 ✭✭✭✭ Tell me how

In areas with Lockdowns, Covid has been detected with less people meaning less illness, less deaths which is the determining factor of whether or not something works.

Masks not only reduce the spread or collection of droplets but are a constant visual reminder to be cautious in getting too close to people, to wash hands, to use sanitiser etc.

I've no tolerance for BS artists who think single simple measures should fix all problems rapidly and permanently for them to be considered useful while bringing nothing to the conversation themselves in terms of workable, meaningful solutions with some basis in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭ HarveyHunt

Whatever about billions in the third world, is Ireland, or Europe generally, ready for millions of climate refugees from Asia and Africa? A country like Bangladesh could be washed away in the next few decades, where does their population of 165,000,000 go? We're dreaming if we think that won't eventually cause a surge of refugees into Europe. That's just one country at risk but there's several other examples.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 71,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭ New Home

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭ dublin49

immigration due to climate change is well flagged as one of the major issues we will face.We have under populated country and could easily absorb millions on immigrants on a population density basis,obviously we couldnt resource this increase but sure the EU can print money when it suits them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭ Peterteanh

Looking forward to reading the new report, I believe it's out tomorrow?

We are definitely in interesting times to say the least.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 71,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭ New Home

I've just come across this, I was looking for information on World Rivers Day.

We absolutely could but as a nation are we ready to invite (say) 1,000,000 people or even 500,000 people from a different culture into our own? Even aside from the logistics of it, are we culturally brave enough (in a manner of speaking) to do so?

• Advertisement

God I am definitely not looking forward to it, I think it's going to be seriously grim.

Not sure these things are going to be optional sooner or later.

It's really more of a question for people who are currently indifferent to the impact of climate change tbf.

It's not just weather changing here, with increased flooding and droughts etc, it's potentially massive demographic shifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭ Peterteanh

Yes, poor choice of words by me :)

Interested in reading it, not looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ MightyMunster

At least RTE are now covering Climate change for the first time and the other media outlets seem to be following suit.

Should help to educate reasonable folks that don't know much about it. The anti vax, anti mask, tinfoil hat, flat earthers etc.. won't listen anyway but luckily they're only a loud but small minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭ dublin49

we may have to pay more than lip service to our connection to the Irish Diaspora if parts of America and Australia become less inviting than was the case up till now.If even a fraction of this cohort decide Ireland is a better bet long term with regard to climate we are talking serious numbers coming home pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭ cnocbui

That's astonishing. We must be stuffed because Venice has never flooded before: https://www.theguardian.com/cities/gallery/2015/jun/16/history-flooding-sinking-city-venice-in-pictures

"The earliest recorded flood event (an event known as “Rotta della Cucca“) in the Venetian lagoon happened on October 17, 589."

https://matkailu-opas.com/venice-floods-history.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭ screamer

I think climate change is totally being presented to us backwards. It’s not the destruction to the earth that’s the issue, it’s the destruction to mankind itself. The earth will shake us off and humans will be extinct long before the planet is depleted or changed completely. The biggest issue I can see is that our economies, even our way of life is built around greedily taking and using more resources than we should be allowed. For things to change, society in general will have to take a big step backwards, and I don’t see anyone, people, governments, employers being willing to do that.

I don’t disrespect the fact that you are putting another view forward but you guys are becoming more and more of a minority. It’s happening man, **** is getting real. This is the only thread on the greatest existential threat to mankind ever because people just want to ignore it, some people only listen to experts and scientists when it suits them.

I agree, but we have been sold this world since ww2 that we all need to be mega consumers. We need to change our mindsets.

• Advertisement

It's not astonishing because it has never flooded before, it's astonishing because it has flooded in AUGUST. It's a winter phenomenon.

^^^

Well put.

I do think people should start thinking again along the lines of "Do I need it?" vs. "Do I want it?", and should start realising again the "residual value" of items. There's no need to throw something out just because it's broken, there should be more emphasis put on repairing things, but they're making it so hard - either the spare parts can't be found, or the repair is dearer than buying the item from scratch - yet, how many resources are wasted, when the original item is dumped?

Planned obsolescence, one of my pet peeves, should be made illegal.

Post edited by New Home on

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭  Cognitive Dissident

There's no evidence that significant man made climate change is behind recent weather events.

These could well be isolated incidents with the vast majority of the planet rolling on as normal. They get a lot of press which gives a false impression they are more common than they are.

Regarding the OP, I'm not worried. I think its the amount of rubbish on the streets and cheap Chinese tat filling our homes that makes us uneasy. That's within our personal ability to resolve. Plenty of things we can do individually to reduce unnecessary waste. Collectively it has an impact, and also reduces demand that corporations will have to address.

There is also evidence that a 'greening' of the planet as a result of extra carbon is good for us.

( google NASA greening/ cooling of earth )

Why are you even posting in this thread if you already stated none of these matters concern you? They concern me, so I read these things.

So we can carry on consuming and polluting as is without any problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭ Heraclius

And some articles are prescient so I think your point is pretty poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭  Cognitive Dissident

Also have to bear in mind there aren't many independent scientists around. Many will rely on funding from private industry/ government that may influence reporting.

While acknowledging human activity maybe influencing the climate, there may also be an interest in exaggerating the overall impact.

Post edited by Cognitive Dissident on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭ TimeLadsPlease

With the Olympics over it will be fun to watch the hyperbole and hysteria competition playing out in the media over the next few days about this new report, as each talk show guest tries to outdo the last with shrill alarm calls of our imminent DOOM, until everyone just gets fed up and switches off.

They are already ramping it up in almost gleeful anticipation.

• Advertisement

So 1.5c definite in next 20 years. We must act right now. 14,000 scientific studies were analysed but gobshites watching YouTube videos will still tell us it's not real.

I wonder if we'll take any action now? I don't think we will.

Advertisement