Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

OEM toolkits a relic? & roadside stories

Options
  • 06-08-2021 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭

I was watching a review of a BMW E28 on YT (Hubnut) and he made a point of showing the OEM toolkit in the boot lid. That got me thinking, in modern cars are these a relic of bygone times (assuming they're still supplied, I've an old banger). I mean, if you broke down in your 2 year old car would a spanner be of any use. Say even a fan belt, if you had a spare I imagine you would have to pull half the front end off to get to it. A laptop would be more useful!

So, has anyone ever used one to fix a car by the roadside (excluding the jack for a flat)? Either now, or back in the day?

And, any stories from the side of the road, an uber bodge to get you home?

I can't think of any apart from fixing a stranger's car in the late 80's, just a broken low tension wire to the coil.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I keep a spanner in the boot for disconnecting the battery in case anything starts misbehaving. I've had incidents before with previous cars where the stereo would not turn off (with keys out - disconnecting/re-connecting battery solved this), and when smoke started coming out of the dashboard (turned out to be blower resistor pack).

My current car is a hybrid so there is a "service plug" under the boot floor that can be pulled by hand to disconnect the high voltage traction battery (probably a good idea to know where this is if anyone else has a hybrid or EV), but the 12V battery still requires a spanner as usual.

Besides that and the standard jacking kit (always good to check this is complete and functional), I don't keep any other tools in the car. I have some gloves and a high-vis vest in the boot too.

Advertisement