Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Animal health certs (for puppy on uk-Ireland ferry)

Options
  • 03-08-2021 4:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I’m planning to take a ferry from the uk back to Ireland. Last time I did it the customs people played out the classic Dara O’Brien joke and only looked at the outside of the passport. Actually they didn’t even look they just waved us through based on Irish accents. That was pre BREXIT pre COVID.

planning to do everything by the book in relation to COVID vaccinations testing etc. My question is about animal health certs, will be travelling with puppy. Waiting for rabies vax and animal health cert will screw up my plans.

My pre BREXIT pre COVID experience is that they don’t check pet paperwork on tourists. Have they tightened up on this??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Haven't travelled through Dublin Port since Brexit but I would expect that, yes, they check and enforce. This is an EU external border now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭vandriver

Your experience is not mine.My dogs pet passport was checked both ways by customs (2019).How old is the puppy?

Is there a different system in the UK?Because here the Vet who administers the shots issues the passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭squeekyduck

Your pet will be quarantined if it doesn't have the correct documents and not let into the country. You will need to get the animal health cert and rabies vaccine. The vaccine is required a minimum of 28 days before arrival and the health cert is required a few days before hand. Your vet will know all this and will know the new process. FYI - Health cert price is £180

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Make sure you have proof the dog was wormed recently, that's one requirement the Dept of Ag are looking for, a relative brought a dog on holiday from the UK last week and all the dogs paperwork was checked, as you are now importing an animal from outside the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 rx6

Hmmm. Previous experience was in Rosslaire but probably will be Dublin this time. What about Belfast are they checking pooches on the M1?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I think the same regulations apply when bringing a dog to NI from Britain - since Brexit.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 8 rx6

Update on this. Have been through Dublin port twice since the above thread.

Got the health cert first time. They didn't ask for it. Second time went through with same cert even though it was out of date. I figured I would argue that the vax lasts 3 years so I thought the cert would last that long too. When I went through they asked if I had a dog in the car, I could have said no, but I said yes, they asked for the cert. I gave them the log book from the vet with the sticker from the batch of vax she was happy with that as proof of vaccination and she did not ask for the health cert. £180 per pet per trip is too much to ask normal people/tourists.

Next time I'll just put the dog in the boot and say nothing. If they do open the boot I'll show them the sticker in the pet health log book and the out of date cert if they want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Kiwi John

Have been through Rosslare twice this year with a dog and they checked each time.

You have a tag in your windscreen showing a pet abound and are sent to there new customs and quarantine centre up the road where they check paperwork and the dogs microchip.

Worming has to have been done and certified by vet at least 24hrs before departure and no longer than a period befoe,you can find the periods on there website.

There were no checks on the uk side.

Advertisement