Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Laser sights

• 31-07-2021 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ PSXDupe

Folks, I remember reading some where in the Firearms Act that laser sights where illegal.

I was trying to find the article again for a mate of mine but for the life of me I cannot find it.

Has it changed or can someone point me to the article

Thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭ Grizzly 45

Offensive weapons act 1990.Restricted not illegal.

Confucius say."He who says one man cannot change World. Never has eaten bat soup in Wuhan!"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Cass

If its mounted to a firearm it requires authorisation like a suppressor, etc.

If I remember correctly there is or was (unless something new came in, in the last 6 or so years) no legislation regarding them with the exception of gun mounted stuff (vaguely referred to in the 1990 act). There is loads of talk about 5mw (630 - 680nm) being the legal limit as well only certain colours, but again its nothing I have ever seen in law, not even the firearms acts (all of them). I believe back in 2014 they intended to bring in la regarding shining them at airplanes, helicopters, etc. but I don't know if it happened.

I also know feck all about them (the lasers), but lads refer to IIIa as the "limit" or max, but again nothing in law. I believe Sparks, some years back, tried to get answers from the DoJ about this and was given vague, non commited "answers", but again nothing concrete or in any legislation.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - RFDs - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads

If you see a problem post use the report post function, "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Your Shooting Forum Moderators - Cass, Cookimonster, Vegeta, Sparks, It wasn't me!

Advertisement