Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Is buying a diesel car now silly?

• 29-07-2021 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭ lightspeed

I'm currently driving 06 diesel golf which over 200,000 miles. I've a baby on the way and also making frequent trips to hospital to my mother for cancer treatments. I'm not sure how long the golf will last and my mother has offered to help me buy a new car.

I will be working from home 2 days a week and commuting by train to work in an office 3 days a week.

I was thinking of going electric and thinking it would save long term. However, most of my driving is on motorway so might not suit even getting a newer car like VW ID4 etc.

So im thinking maybe I get something diesel powered like VW Tiguan.

There seems to be a lot of doom around diesel powered cars but diesel is cheaper than petrol here, so most probably cheaper to run than a hybrid. Tax is still relatively cheap on most from about 2012 onwards.

So how much more expensive do people think it will be to run a diesel vehicle in next few years?

Will parts become massively more expensive as they phase out manufacturing diesel cars?

Post edited by biko on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭ Buddy Bubs

These motorway trips, how frequent are they and what distance? Do you have facility for home charger?

These are the questions you need to answer. If you have ability to charge at home then the electric range will suit nearly all people. Diesel is still viable, but so is electric.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,070 ✭✭✭✭ fryup

is there such a thing as a hybrid diesel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭ Buddy Bubs

Mercedes have a 300de in the e class.I think Volvo had one few years ago too. They are rare beasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,492 ✭✭✭✭ Vicxas

• Registered Users Posts: 7,504 ✭✭✭ Outkast_IRE

Would I consider buying a brand new diesel ? Yes , if my usage type and mileage made it the best fit over an electric and hybrid.

More likely I would look and see if I could get one a year or two old so alot of the depreciation is eaten on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭ TaurenDruid

You've left out basic information - what sort of mileage are you doing? And what length are your journeys.

The big advantage of diesel used to be the cheap price of fuel for doing long distance driving and high mileage - I could get to Killarney and back to Dublin on one tank in my last car, a diesel Octavia.

If you're not doing high mileage/long distances, petrol would probably be better for you than diesel - cheaper to maintain in the long run as the service intervals are longer. You might save 5c a litre with diesel over petrol at the pump, but as it sounds like your car will be sitting outside your house for 5 days/week, the amount of fuel you're putting in will be minimal, anyway?

But if you're not doing high mileage/long distances regularly, then yes, electric or plug-in petrol hybrid would be better for the environment and cheaper again to run. EVs don't like cruising on motorways for long distances, but they can certainly do it when needed and range shouldn't be a problem if you can charge at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,375 ✭✭✭ kirving

The Merc E300 would be classed as a mild hybrid, and had a 20kW (27hp) motor with 250Nm torque, so quite a bit more than just electronics. It could only propel itself up to about 30km/h from a standstill, but it would drop into electric mode pretty much any time you were off the throttle at any speed. It really did make a difference to fuel economy around town particularly, and the driving experience was so so much better with electric rather than the feeling the clutch.

Fuel savings per year would be very very minimal however. Maybe 100-200 per year vs normal diesel for high mileage driver.

In my experience, hauling the (empty) battery is only a problem in town. On the open road, and extra 200kg makes no noticeable difference to fuel economy. Wind resistance accounts for the vast majority of fuel at higher speeds.

All that said, fuel savings vs a regular car (in the hundreds per year for me doing 80% motorway, 20% urban) will not even approach depreciation cost. Real reason for me buying a PHEV was the VRT saving tbh, and the fuel saving was a nice bonus. I certainly wouldn't be paying a premium for a PHEV on the basic of fuel saving, but I might do for urban driving experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,375 ✭✭✭ kirving

I can't seem to edit my post without quoting it, which would look messy.

Just to add, the terminology around hybrids and mild hybrids has next to zero standardisation and leads to expected confusion among the general public.

By extension too, all ADAS features right now are a complete confusing mess and mean different things to different manufacturer, as does "fast charging" and the like.

As for the OP's question, I would have no hesitation in buying a diesel today, they will be around for decades to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭ timsey tiger

If your motorway trip is less than 200km round trip. Go electric and have a nice pleasant drive instead of adding to the pollution your little one gets to breath in.

• Registered Users Posts: 50,148 ✭✭✭✭ bazz26

I've never heard the Merc E300 being referred to as a mild hybrid so my previous statement does not apply to it. My reference was to cars labelled as mild hybrids that only have an extra small battery to power some of the electronics. These cars are not hybrids in the correct sense of the word.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭ blue5000

Nobody mentioned that because average Joe now thinks diesel is dirty, second hand prices have dropped. My wife bought a used 2014 Fluence with 120k km on the clock for 5k earlier this year. It's a buyer's market, shop around.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭ JCN12

OP - buy what is necessary when it is necessary.

See what you can afford without assistance from your Mom, and then work from there is my advice.

Diesels aren't going to be outlawed soon, but rapid depreciation may be an issue over the next few years with consumer sentiment changing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭ Mimon

Makes sense but they are still too pricy for a lot of drivers to afford. Have the manufacturers racked up the price to take advantage of the subsidies? I wonder if the margin on electrics are more than ICE cars?

Was hoping to be able to buy an electric for 25- 30 grand by now to do my 90km commute but it seems the prices are 35- 40 grand for something decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭ User1998

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭ bmc58

Not the smartest move.Eamon Ryan and the Greens will punish you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭ bmc58

Advertisement