Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is buying a diesel car now silly?

• 29-07-2021 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭

I'm currently driving 06 diesel golf which over 200,000 miles. I've a baby on the way and also making frequent trips to hospital to my mother for cancer treatments. I'm not sure how long the golf will last and my mother has offered to help me buy a new car.

I will be working from home 2 days a week and commuting by train to work in an office 3 days a week.

I was thinking of going electric and thinking it would save long term. However, most of my driving is on motorway so might not suit even getting a newer car like VW ID4 etc.

So im thinking maybe I get something diesel powered like VW Tiguan.

There seems to be a lot of doom around diesel powered cars but diesel is cheaper than petrol here, so most probably cheaper to run than a hybrid. Tax is still relatively cheap on most from about 2012 onwards.

So how much more expensive do people think it will be to run a diesel vehicle in next few years?

Will parts become massively more expensive as they phase out manufacturing diesel cars?

Post edited by biko on

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Diesels will be around for another while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,008 ✭✭✭mikeecho

A second hand diesel will do fine, for years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

These motorway trips, how frequent are they and what distance? Do you have facility for home charger?

These are the questions you need to answer. If you have ability to charge at home then the electric range will suit nearly all people. Diesel is still viable, but so is electric.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is there such a thing as a hybrid diesel?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,590 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I got a brand new diesel car yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Mercedes have a 300de in the e class.I think Volvo had one few years ago too. They are rare beasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,187 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

• Registered Users Posts: 51,059 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

"Mild hybrid" is nothing more than marketing nonsense the same way Coke Zero or Diet Coke are claimed to be much better for you over regular Coke. Hybrid is a very trendy word these days and average joe associates it with being more earth friendly and clean. So car manufacturers decided to stick a second battery in their cars that run some of the car's electronics, etc which slightly helps with emissions. They then stick the word "mild hybrid" on to make buyers feel better about themselves and their contribution to saving the planet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Plug-in hybrids are only worth it if you actually plug them in, and then do a useful proportion of your miles on the battery. Otherwise, you are hauling an extra battery around for no benefit. They generally have a 50 or 60 km range on battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Would I consider buying a brand new diesel ? Yes , if my usage type and mileage made it the best fit over an electric and hybrid.

More likely I would look and see if I could get one a year or two old so alot of the depreciation is eaten on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

You've left out basic information - what sort of mileage are you doing? And what length are your journeys.

The big advantage of diesel used to be the cheap price of fuel for doing long distance driving and high mileage - I could get to Killarney and back to Dublin on one tank in my last car, a diesel Octavia.

If you're not doing high mileage/long distances, petrol would probably be better for you than diesel - cheaper to maintain in the long run as the service intervals are longer. You might save 5c a litre with diesel over petrol at the pump, but as it sounds like your car will be sitting outside your house for 5 days/week, the amount of fuel you're putting in will be minimal, anyway?

But if you're not doing high mileage/long distances regularly, then yes, electric or plug-in petrol hybrid would be better for the environment and cheaper again to run. EVs don't like cruising on motorways for long distances, but they can certainly do it when needed and range shouldn't be a problem if you can charge at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭kirving

The Merc E300 would be classed as a mild hybrid, and had a 20kW (27hp) motor with 250Nm torque, so quite a bit more than just electronics. It could only propel itself up to about 30km/h from a standstill, but it would drop into electric mode pretty much any time you were off the throttle at any speed. It really did make a difference to fuel economy around town particularly, and the driving experience was so so much better with electric rather than the feeling the clutch.

Fuel savings per year would be very very minimal however. Maybe 100-200 per year vs normal diesel for high mileage driver.

In my experience, hauling the (empty) battery is only a problem in town. On the open road, and extra 200kg makes no noticeable difference to fuel economy. Wind resistance accounts for the vast majority of fuel at higher speeds.

All that said, fuel savings vs a regular car (in the hundreds per year for me doing 80% motorway, 20% urban) will not even approach depreciation cost. Real reason for me buying a PHEV was the VRT saving tbh, and the fuel saving was a nice bonus. I certainly wouldn't be paying a premium for a PHEV on the basic of fuel saving, but I might do for urban driving experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭kirving

I can't seem to edit my post without quoting it, which would look messy.

Just to add, the terminology around hybrids and mild hybrids has next to zero standardisation and leads to expected confusion among the general public.

By extension too, all ADAS features right now are a complete confusing mess and mean different things to different manufacturer, as does "fast charging" and the like.

As for the OP's question, I would have no hesitation in buying a diesel today, they will be around for decades to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Go for a TDI but why a SUV. Superb estate better economy than a SUV and a very large boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

If your motorway trip is less than 200km round trip. Go electric and have a nice pleasant drive instead of adding to the pollution your little one gets to breath in.

I've never heard the Merc E300 being referred to as a mild hybrid so my previous statement does not apply to it. My reference was to cars labelled as mild hybrids that only have an extra small battery to power some of the electronics. These cars are not hybrids in the correct sense of the word.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Nobody mentioned that because average Joe now thinks diesel is dirty, second hand prices have dropped. My wife bought a used 2014 Fluence with 120k km on the clock for 5k earlier this year. It's a buyer's market, shop around.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

It really isn't a buyer's market! There's been several articles on RTÉ News app and in the papers about the lack of second-hand cars around lately, due to a combination of COVID, Brexit and the chip shortage... That's been borne out for me lately as I'm looking for a 2nd-hand car at the moment, there's not much choice out there at all.

Just seen the OP was wondering about buying a SUV. @lightspeed that would be silly! An SUV adds 25- to 30% to your fuel expenditure for no reason other than you're hauling around 35- to 30% more weight. And if you've only one kid on the way, you don't need the extra space (and it's not much more space, really, the boots are tiny!).

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭JCN12

OP - buy what is necessary when it is necessary.

See what you can afford without assistance from your Mom, and then work from there is my advice.

Diesels aren't going to be outlawed soon, but rapid depreciation may be an issue over the next few years with consumer sentiment changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭jimbobmalones

You do realise that the electricity your electric car is using has probably been generated using fossil fuels and therefore has created pollution for your little one to breath in? Also note that to use 1KW at charger probably required 1.3kw to be generated given powerline losses etc. Don't forget the opportunity cost of the time taken up with charging etc if not done at home

• Advertisement

🙄 You're right, why should we bother, just set fire to the planet now!

The truth is that while Ireland lags behind the rest of Europe in moving to renewables/avoiding fossil fuels, we are catching up. In 2018 the overall renewable energy share in Ireland was only 11%, compared to the 2020 target of 16%, by last year some energy providers had reached more than 40% renewables.

How many litres of diesel were used to ship your last tank of fuel from the U.S. or the middle east?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

What about kids mining cobalt in Africa? Thats allright? Diesels arent the greatest solution but now its the most sensible thing we have to offer for long term usage in high mileage trips.

Give me an electric car which will do 1100km in one charge and I will gladly buy it to save "Earth".

Getting back on topic, when I switched to diesel, with 20-25k km done in year, saved around 500-1000€ per year. You would need to do the math for yourself. Both options have pros and cons.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭jimbobmalones

How many litres of diesel were used to ship the natural gas / diesel / coal used to power the electricity plant that generated the electricity to power your electric car?

I'm not suggesting we burn the planet. Energy discussions should be based around engineering, science and mathematics which looks at the

actual energy usage of different modalities (ICE Cars vs electric etc...). Many electric car advocates use simplistic arguments that don't include

the cost of manufacturing the car and especially its batteries or that fact that electricity doesn't magically appear but has to be generated.

It may be that there is a case for small electric vehicles for use in Cities etc but there is little evidence and no current technology that can match ICE engines for a significant percentage of the read miles that are currently made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

I'm afraid kids mining cobalt is FUD sponsored by the multi trillion oil and gas business. Why would you need over 1000km of range, did you often drive for 10hrs without stopping? In a nappy? If you were driving long distances like that a modern EV with one pedal driving would be a far more relaxing place to be as well as saving you around 80% in fuel costs

Producing anything has a detrimental impact on this planet now no matter how green you are told it is and over the last number of decades we have become a throw away society where we just want to replace one thing after another because we like new things and they make us feel better. If you want to make a difference to the planet then keep your existing car until it is no longer fit for purpose rather than replacing it every 3 years on PCP. Same goes with mobile phones, tablets or tvs, we continue to buy new ones when the existing ones work fine because we are brain washed into thinking the new one is way better than the old one.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

I was just answering to the fact that a lot of people threat electric cars like "miracle" cure for all pollution problems. When You try to mention diesel they hiss at You like I was the one who killed Bambi. Im aware that both businesses aren't clean.

Why I would need 1000km? Because during my holidays I drive a lot, being able to cover such a distance without worrying about how much battery is left and where to find nearest charger is for my use just more convenient. Like for example I like the Chinese or Taiwanese concept of replacing the battery on the spot instead of charging it.

I dont see a problem driving long distance in manual, drove last week like few hundred km without touching the pedals, just used cruise control.

Dont take me wrong, I do believe that electric cars/hybrids are important step but I just don't see it viable in the way EU sees things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Makes sense but they are still too pricy for a lot of drivers to afford. Have the manufacturers racked up the price to take advantage of the subsidies? I wonder if the margin on electrics are more than ICE cars?

Was hoping to be able to buy an electric for 25- 30 grand by now to do my 90km commute but it seems the prices are 35- 40 grand for something decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,589 ✭✭✭User1998

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭bmc58

Not the smartest move.Eamon Ryan and the Greens will punish you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭bmc58

Advertisement