Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What bike for comfort - gravel or endurance

• 27-07-2021 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭

My budget will be between 2000-3000 (flexible). Haven't been on a road bike in 4-5 yrs now and looking for comfort first (so a relaxed geometry) but still with some road bike character.

This will be for daily road rides in Dublin area mainly and eventually venturing into Wicklow once I build up fitness levels.

Presumably purchasing from shops in UK is no longer viable option due to import charges.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what's the intended use of the bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭omri

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

There is not a huge difference between an endurance road and a gravel bike. I would only buy a gravel bike if you are planning to use it off road. If you are planning on road use, then buy a road bike, with wider tire clearance, maybe run 30 or 32mm if you are planning on using poor surfaces. The tires that come with most gravel bikes are not really suited for on road use and will slow you down significantly.

I'd also keep an eye on the weight, easy to top 10-11kg on a lot of gravel bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Citizen2011

Find the Trek Domane SL6 a very comfortable bike. it's an endurance bike. Last year I wanted to get back into cycling after a long lapse.

The shop first gave me a Giant TCR to test for a couple of days and it was lovely to ride but I was crippled with neck pain for the following 2 days. Obviously the gemoetry was too aggressive for my age(46) and physique and I was past it for something like that type of an Aero bike.

Went with the Domane SL6.

Often I am out riding for 3.5 hours covering between 50 and 60 miles and I feel I could ride for another 3 hours. No pain of any kind. There are also features called decouplers at the front anjd rear for extra comfort but i haven't even needed to use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭omri

Is SL5 a lot different than SL6 ? Presumably a lower end version of the same bike ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

If you've no plans to go off-road then Endurance bikes are what you should be looking at. Carbon will give you more comfort than Aluminum (although there might not be a huge gap in difference) and wider tyres will help too. You could also opt for carbon handlebars to take off even more of the road bumps as the default handlebars are usually aluminum but maybe see how you feel on the bike first as you may be happy enough.

Also get a bike fit done after purchase to get you set up properly and avoid niggles before they become an issue.

Something like this buying guide for 2021 may give you some pointers on where to look.

The Canyon Endurace range would be well within your budget - https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/road-bikes/endurance-bikes/endurace/cf-sl/

Post edited by DeepBlue on

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mh_cork

Great advice. A bike fit is a good place to start as too many people buy a "racing" bike that is too aggressive and give up when they start getting neck / shoulder pains. The Canyon Endurace have a good reputation and are great value. It would be even better if it could take tyres larger than 30mm.

I wouldnt discount the gravel bike option, even if you only intend using it on road. My main bike is a Planet X gravel bike and can fit tyres up to 38mm. I use it all the time, solo, club spins, etc with 32 mm road tyres. Just be aware that "gravel" does not always mean "relaxed geometry", some are set-up for racing. I think the Canyon Grail might fit into this bracket.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

doesn't look like there's much available anyway there - SL6 totally out of stock and only three options available in the SL5.

Advertisement