Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Japanese import dealership

Options
  • 24-07-2021 1:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

Hi all, again,

I still haven't pulled the trigger on a car yet. It wasn't urgent but am going to try and get something in the next week or two.

The car I'm searching for is an IS 300 Lexus around 2014 + with a budget of around 14-15K.

Is there a dealership that can source one in Japan for me. I am looking at one tomorrow 2014 88K miles for about 15K tomorrow but just want to know my options.

Also am a bit apprehensive about insurining an import from Japan as that's a question that's asked.

Any help really appreciated. I know I've been on here fore but I really just want to make the right decision for the outlay.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Flooper, why do you have to import direct from Japan ? Can that model not be sourced in EU spec here through Toyota dealers?

Some JDM stuff is fantastic, but a Lexus IS 300 seems fairly common-or-garden to go to all the trouble of importing direct from Japan. My brother-in-law has a 2013 IS 300h...and there's loads on the roads. (Maybe you are looking for a non hybrid)

But just going on my limited knowledge, you'll probably have some insurance headaches because Lexus are just called Toyota's in JDM ..and they have different model names that won't be on Insurance company databases here.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,153 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

An IS300h will cost more in Japan than one here.

Here's a good site for pricing ideas...

https://www.japanesecartrade.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

Hi guys.

i was actually enquiring about dealers here that bring in Japanese cars.

anyway had a look at the is300 today and looks good with last service done at Lexus garage and chap/dealer seems quite genuine.

so I think I’ll wave the warranty that will save me 200. It only covers engine and gearbox.

I could get an engineer to look at it for 200 and he’ll do the works with regards history engine check and panel checks for filler and crash.

but to tell the truth I’m inclined to wave that check too as the Lexus service history is good.

what do you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,153 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

One thing to look out for is if they have had a hybrid healthcheck annually at service from a Lexus dealership. I would do a history check on the car regardless of the warranty for the sake of €20 or so.

Advertisement