Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

John's Garage Irish YouTube Channel

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Thanks Mick, it seems to be coming together a lot better now. I've some new equipment that I'll be using for filming tomorrow which should help it even more when it comes to walk around shots. Fingers crossed it comes good for Thursday

Definitely, huge history of producing beautiful looking coupes. The 504 Coupe especially stands out.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,702 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Yes my favourite too. I doubt there is even one of them in Ireland though. Very rare.

Oh there there alright, a friend used to own one that was used on Top gear years ago. There are a few more around too. Literally feels like a Bond car

And for anyone not familiar with them, this is what they look like:

Peugeot presented a full EV concept car a few years ago with looks that strongly resembled a modern take of the 504 Coupe. Unfortunately, I haven't heard anything about it since. Awesome.

#

• Advertisement

That 504 Coupé is to die for. I really wish it had made production.

And to celebrate the channel reaching the mile stone of over 600 subscribers.........you can have a sneak preview of this weeks video........remember to subscribe if you want to see it first....

Will this 1993 MR2 N/A be SCRAPPED or SAVED? You decide what happens on John's Garage this week. Head says it's at best a donor car, heart says SAVE IT.

Tomorrow on John's Garage Ireland we take a drive and look around this incredible and original Irish 1989 Phase 1 Renault 21 TI Injection. Make sure to subscribe to see it first.

Hi Folks, tomorrows episode is delayed. Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭goochy

It's not original Irish 406 coupe with that reg no. ?

Good to see main dealer with those cars

• Advertisement

Nope that 406 is an import. They do have an original Irish one however which I might try out in a few weeks.

Folks, I'll soon be stopping the weekly videos announcements, if you haven't already done so PLEASE SUBSCRIBE NOW and follow me on Twitter or Instagram to stay updated. It's almost time to see if the channel can stand on it's own two feet WITH YOUR SUPPORT. Thanks for all the support up to this point, its meant a huge amount to me.

This week we take a drive in 1989 Renault 21 Ti Injection Phase 1. This week was an epic video to record for all the wrong reason. Laptop issues, camera issues, software issues and after the final shot..........we blew a coolant hose. All is good however as I spotted the temp gauge rising just in time.

Anyway, enjoy the video and subscribe to see everything from here on in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Good video, the driving position doesn't look comfortable for you though. I thought the seat might have collapsed but then remembered a quote from an old magazine group test "the R21 is blighted by a truly silly fault - the front seat backrests won't come upright enough".

I think it was related to the monotrace seats.

Also, re: the comment about the R21s weight, it was one if the lightest cars in its class if the official figures are to be believed. Under 1000 kg for the 1.7. Combined with the aero this meant it was an economical car

Funnily enough I was actually really comfortable in it! Those sqeechy French seats are great.

Here's conformation of the price of the R21 Ti in early 1989 - and what you could have gotten for the same money. I'm actually surprised that Renault sold the Ti here given their tendency to not bring in "big" engined versions of their cars and given the wheelbase situation as described well in the video.

itis a safe bet that that is the only Irish Ti that survives, IIRC there were less than 5 R21s of all types NCT'ed in 2020, There are a few other stragglers out there. I saw a black TXi (phase 2, 2.0 litre 12v) on donedeal a while back, looked like original irish. Not in great condition but also super rare..

Edit: that attachment was perfectly readable before I uploaded it

I looked at that black TXi as it was near me. The money was mental on it and it was rough. Riddled with rust and overall was in poor condition.

I might PM you if you could email me that article and I'll try get a better look at it. Looks very interesting.

I forgot that I posted the price list in the Renault 19 thread in Classic Cars. it is readable if downloaded from it, 16,700 for the R21 Ti which I think was about the figure mentioned in the video

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/113219214/#Comment_113219214

This week on

John's Garage I drive this 1976 original Irish Toyota Crown 2600 Super Saloon.

Nice any idea where reg. Is from ?

• Advertisement

Co. Limerick. I'm told the original owner sold some land to a small computer company called Dell to build a factory on it and bought the car with the money.....

Great story

Sounds like a tall story 😂 Dell didn't come to Limerick until the 90s, did they? And by that time they were already a Fortune 500 company. Not some sort of garage startup. Would the man really have bought a 15 year old second hand car from the no doubt massive proceeds?

I remember when I was a kid in the 80s there were a small number of Crowns about but they were the later model with 4 rectangular headlights. I only remember seeing two of the model in the video. Crowns and to a lesser extent Datsun Laurels were noteworthy in 1970s/80s Ireland.

I later heard that they were regarded as superb cars by UK banger racers.

Could well be hence I didn't include it. Could also be they sold the land to Analog, timeline would fit. I'm only being tongue in cheek about Dell being small.

There's a whopping big chassis on it. It's body on frame so in theory you could do a chassis swap for a newer body......like a Land Rover 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Pretty rare car. One family locally used to always have a crown and always dog rough so I'd say it was hard to keep the rust away.

Not seen one for 20 years though.

This week on John's Garage I have a VERY ODD experience with an NCT/MOT/Roadworthiness Test in my 2001 Megane Convertible.

Don't forget to SUBSCRIBE!

This week on John's Garage Ireland I take a drive in this incredible RETROMODDED Toyota Sera

• Advertisement

Hope you all enjoyed that, don't forget to checkout the channel for all the other reviews 

Advertisement