Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chair [Netflix]

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,719 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Stars Sandra Oh, so immediately went on my radar. Looks like it has the potential to be a solid Dramady, some solid character actors spotted too (like David Morse or Bob Balaban). Drops August 20...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,719 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The season has dropped; 6 episodes by the looks of things.

Caught the first episode and quite liked it. A good mix of drama and comedy, and I like the ensemble already. Oh has good comedic instincts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Also drawn to Sandra Oh! 🙂 So far so good.

1: Alright, setup communicated. I get the feeling they've put the roots in for a whole bunch of stuff to get hairy down the road.

• Advertisement

If I have one complaint, and it's more a niggle, it's that the Inciting Incident and subsequent fallout has led to some writing perilous close to lazy "Gen Z are easily outraged" stereotypes. Then again, the staff also indulge in their own set of clichés along the lines of "tenured faculty are out of touch old farts", so maybe it's an universal approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Finished! Was grand. Funny and what felt deliberately head melting watching each set of events slowly unfold 😁

Like just one domino leading of melt leading to another. Strangest Cameo! .. but I guess they might have been given the opportunity and rolled with it.

I'm glad it had a kinda uplifting ending. Like.. the others like that move off to Paris one felt like it would be a disaster

I liked the family building and learning the bit about Mexican and Korean culture.

Sandra Oh definitely put in a strong performance.

Nods too for Bob Balaban (Rentz) and Holland Taylor (Joan). Just looked them up and they have put in work!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Balaban

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holland_Taylor

Finished this up and while I enjoyed it as a mild, human sized story, I would wonder if at 6 episodes it might have been better as a movie. Can't see potential for a second season, everything capped off with that sense of an open path not needing charting.

Worth watching though, as an antidote to the high/melo drama if other fiction out there.

Advertisement