Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Moving from beef to tillage

• 16-07-2021 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ happydude742

Beef seems to have the lowest overall profit margin in farming and I’ve been thinking about getting into tillage instead.

Is 80-90 acres of tillage enough to make money it would you have to be doing more?

What are the pros and cons of moving from beef to tillage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭ Bass Reeves

Are you watching Clarkson s farm and us that what have you the bug. I know very little about tillage but have you sums done on it. How do you intend to till, sow, spray and harvest. I presume you are part time.

Who will you sell to. If Glanbia are you happy to buy inputs at a premium. Have you knowledge of the skills required for tillage. Would it not make more sense to let it to a tillage farmer if you need large capital investment to get into tillage.

What sort of beef were you in. If your land is suitable for tillage you must be in a fairly good quality land area. It's hard to believe that you cannot make a margin from beef on such land

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement