Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Deck

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

It is very playable with it.i played it for half hour last night and it is very nice. The loose buttons really cheapen the product though. Enough to make the whole steamdeck seem cheap. They are as loose as a cheap GameStop controller for a Wii or similar. They rattle when ya pick it up. That's how I noticed. I thought there was something loose inside it.

Ya 5 years ago I'd be happy to open it up but just done have the time and I shouldn't have to do that with paying near 600e on a device.

Others on Reddit have swapped the buttons from LCD model. Shouldn't have to do that though.

Most will be perfect I'd say.im sure yours will be grand .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

If people do have issues it might be better to hold off until after Christmas, a lot of the issues people have don't make it unusable. Otherwise you're dealing with Christmas post and customer service being flat out.

So far my 512GB OLED is fine, buttons feel the same as the LCD model. Haven't looked for any dead pixels or checked the headphone jack just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Briefly opened mine didn't notice a button rattling but will check. But twice the X button got stuck in when the right side of it dipped under the plastic. Happened once and popped it out by just pressing it again. But it happened a second time.

I'll be disappointed if it needs to go back. If they dropped the quality in the most important bit I'll be annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Darwin

My buttons rattle a bit when I shake the device, not enough to make me want to return it, so I'm going to sell my LCD version. I have the Samsung panel on mine, I believe it supports 100Hz with a mod, BOE panels can do 120Hz. Also have the Rog Ally and the LCD screen is really very nice for what it is in comparison to the OLED panel on the deck. However Windows drives me absolutely nuts on the Ally, but it is great for playing all non Steam games without having to faff about with workarounds on the Deck.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,884 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Im starting to think there arent any workarounds for non-Steam games on the deck, Ive been messing with this kind of thing since installing modchips in the PS2 was a thing so I wouldn't consider myself ignorant of this kind of stuff but the Steam Deck has defeated me, nothing in my Epic library works on any launcher, when I give up and just pirate the game Im trying to launch it doesnt work either, bit of a disappointment but my Steam backlog is massive so it still gets a lot of use.

I dont see people complaining about it ether but Desktop mode where you have to do all this stuff is an absolute disgrace, its like the devs never used a smartphone in the last 10 years. Trying to do anything in it reminds me of wrestling with Symbian OS back in the day, except its a lot worse.

• Advertisement

I've heard they rattle a little bit as well, so must just be something to do with the lighter weight of the device.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eggy81

I’m a complete novice with Linux and really computers in general and I got emulation and heroic launcher working relatively smoothly. Emudeck and emulation station are working perfectly. X cloud and Xbox remote play too. Must be something you are missing.

I've found most stuff I tried did work once I found the right compatibility layer to use.

The mad thing is that it can be different from game to gane. But I've found the launcher itself goes out of date and that's when issues pop up.

I've kinda given up on Epic and other launchers though.

I pretty much use it as an Xbox cloud device now. First game I played on oled was ori on XCloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,764 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

TBH.....if the buttons are, like, 'loose' loose or having problems sticking, then it's probably worth the RMA

On my one they aren't as firm as the LCD, but not far off and they certainly don't rattle or move about when jostled. The Ally's buttons, which I'm not a mad fan of, would be looser, but still perfectly acceptable. The OLED for me feels about in between the two. There's a little more play in them when pressed versus the LCD but they don't feel off, for lack of a better term, for buttons of that size.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭BenK

Played Resi 4 through the tv on Steam Deck. Very hassle free, worked very well and handy option to have. Worked with Xbox controller straight away too.

• Advertisement

Got an update to say it should be delivered tomorrow but I’m not convinced.

last update was from early this morning to say it arrived to Ireland yesterday

That was my timeline. Same last time. Once it hit Ireland I had it the next day.

Interesting. I’d say it’s tomorrow I’ll get it as the update it landed in Ireland was yesterday and the tracker is saying tomorrow.

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

I've heard of many issues with the new OLED model - rattly/stuck buttons, audio jack issues, wifi connectivity issues, dead/stuck pixels.

I really hope the users in this thread will not be affected by these.

But... I can't help but feel Valve are getting a karma sandwich for this. They effectively scalped users in September by selling the LCD model "at a discount" only for them then to announce the OLED model at same price with better spec and the worst part - to sell the LCDs at practically give-away prices. It pissed a lot of people off and now they are getting the karma for it.

Ya I got a rattle button one . Valve are very slow on support . Took 3 days for them to say they can do an rma and they still have not provided me with rma details to send it back

I will also most likely only get 270e for selling my 256 LCD so a hefty price for the OLED at 570 tbh.

On a side note the fan is consideribly less noisy. Comparing resident evil 4 remake. Fan goes 90 on LCD. Doesn't make any noise on OLED, it is a nice machine.

My buttons rattle too when I shake it. But I'm not shaking it too often. But the X is sticking which is more annoying.

Spent today setting up a few bits and it stuck fairly often.

It looks like the buttons are a tiny bit smaller. It might be an optical illusion as the print is a darker colour, but it would make sense as to why they are rattling and sticking if they don't fit in the holes the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

What's the chance of Valve producing a home console only version of this ? Like with XBox Series X specs + can play Steam, Windows, Sony's PC ported playstation games ? Basically an open console PC, but less cost than an equivalent PC, and quiet and tailored for games.

You can just stick this in a dock and play on TV. So I'd say they are not in a rush to go down the non portable console route. But you never know.

The old Steam machines were small factor pc that ran steam OS and they flopped pretty hard. But again there they outsourced the hardware. Maybe in-house would be better.

Looks like my delivery got pushed out a day.

they’re being advertised as arriving in 3-5 business days, I’m past 10 now. Bit disappointed on how long it’s taken

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭McFly85

Mine arrived around 11. When I checked this morning it says it would be tomorrow but it got loaded on the van and changed back to today.

Turned it on around lunch and the screen is amazing, haven’t noticed any issues with the buttons or anything. Will give it a proper go later on!

• Advertisement

Same as yourself, GLS are a shower with the tracking being so off.

but delighted to have it, the best thing is my old SD card just hot swapped right in and delighted with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭frisbeeface

How does Cyberpunk play on the og deck? Thinking of finally picking it up in the current sale

Steam support refusing to rma units with wobbly abxy buttons now. Not happy receiving a unit sub par to LCD buttons and refusing to fix it .

They must be getting flooded with it. I've my LCD and oled side by side. The buttons don't rattle on the LCD. If you flick your finger across them they will but not by gently shaking it like the OLED.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Darwin

Mine rattle a bit too when the deck is shaken, but that will never happen during use. As long as the buttons don't stick, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I probably wouldn't have noticed if I didn't read about it! I must check the other functions are ok though (bluetooth functionality, both speakers working etc).

Ya their policy for rma must have change since they replied intially to my request.

5 days ago they said they would rma it. Now they are stating they will not after requesting my address.

Loving Resi 4 remake on it at the moment though. that engine plays so well on steamdeck at 40 locked fps

Resi 4 was good. VR update is out very soon too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭brady12

Tempted to upgrade to the oled but the thoughts going into all them stupid menus again to install chiaki and xcloud is off putting 😅

I'm defo more careful about what I install this time. Although chiaki and XCloud were the first. There is a new chiaki4deck that supports swiping on the controller touchpad.

• Advertisement

Mine have a small wobble as well but the deck needs to be shaken with a bit of force for that to happen, it’s not going to happen by just playing it.. I’ve not tested the headphone jack yet but I mostly use wireless headphones so not too bothered.

buttons haven’t stuck on me either and I tried pressing them really hard, but would be miffed if that happened tbh.

panel looks the business as well tbh. Delighted with it so far.

Advertisement