Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport and Bike Boxes - Predicting Chaos & Disappointment

• 15-07-2021 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Dublin airport have a new conveyor system.

This has limited the size of items that can be taken on the oversize luggage.

They have a new jig and the bike box needs to fit into it before they will take it.

Many (most?) bike boxes, like mine, are too big to fit and therefore will not be accepted.

Unbelievable really...fortunately mine is semi-rigid and I could just bend it enough to gain the inch I needed. Otherwise I was SOL.

I have not seen any measurements for what size items can be carried - I guess people need to contact the airport.

EDITED to add (before people ask): this was taken a few weeks ago when I was leaving Ireland for an indefinite period of time, not on holiday!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭ARX

Does it have to go through horizontally, or can you put it through at an angle?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭koutoubia

planning on a trip in a few weeks and planning on bringing the bike in a rigid bike box. This has me nervous. Think I am gonna have to go to the airport and see if it will fit!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭2016

No, cannot put it through at an angle. Has to be laying flat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,005 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you would hope they've published the actual dimensions to spare you that trip.

You would hope...But i cant find anything on the DAA site

• Advertisement

I have just asked on the DAA website for the dimensions.

It's just crazy, and the reason it hasn't come up yet is obviously the travel ban - so in very short order we are going to have some very shocked and p*ssed off cyclists at Dublin airport essentially having to turn around and go home.

What we need is a twitter mob to get this sorted! We can't just accept not being able to bring bikes through our main airport.

My understanding is that the design/specification of this new conveyor system just did not take into account that bikes travel in large bike boxes...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

My bike box is identical to the O.P.'s. I don't think I'd like to squash mine as the O.P. did.

I hope they have this sorted before next February.

Thanks O.P. for flagging the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

There is also an 'Extra Oversize' section for much larger items such as harps, double bass, skis etc. I'd say the above is the limit for that particular belt and that a bike box not fitting in it would simply have to be manually transferred.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

Hope you are right WA. Anyone else gone through with a bike box lately?

• Advertisement

Not so sure - the guys running oversize luggage were telling me they could simply not take the bike box unless it fitted. No alternative was offered. Simple choice: either it fits or you're taking it back home....

which terminal?

T2 - I didn't even think of that actually.

Thanks for the heads up

I have got a reply.

Baggage Dimensions or Type   Length (mm)    Width (mm)   Height (mm)

Minimum Bag Dimensions  300             200    75

Maximum Bag Dimensions  950             750    450

Out of Gauge (OOG)         >950 but <1500      750    450

Super Out of Gauge (SOOG)    >1500 but <2400 950    750

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,005 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what's the penalty for going OOG? no can fly, or a financial cost?

Just meausered my BIke Box Alan and it just about fits in the SOOG meaurements. Will bring a screwdriver to take off the wheels if need be as its that measurement thats the tightest. Going in 14 days time so should be able to fill in then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Don't forget to get rid of the screwdriver before you go through security.

Ah it will be in the bike box itself and returned there.

By the way, on my picture you can see the OOG and SOOG lines.

But the width is still the same on the gauge/jig that they use, only the length changes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

So laying down on its side it's the bag height that poses a challenge. I have a Scicon Aerocomfort and I don't fancy its chances fitting into that jig at all 😣

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭ARX

Would there be any problem testing a bike box in that jig without being booked on a flight?

yeah, i'd been curious about that myself, two dimensions change across the three sizes, but only one seems to be allowed for on that physical gauge.

so the aerlingus Sports Equipment booking is the SOOG dimensions?

Post edited by siochain on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Given that you cannot even get into the airport from the outside if you are not a travelling passenger, I say, yes, there will be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

So is the maximum "width" 950? A standard cardboard bike box from a shop should hopefully be ok then. They are usually about 800mm from memory..

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jonesy101

This happened to me a few years ago at YVR. It was a jumbo jet to london and then aerlingus to ireland. The very informed and helpful check in assistant told me that my cardboard bike box would fit on the jumbo jet but wouldnt actually fit into the airplane. nothing to do with limit of dimensions, taking of wheels or temporarily bending some plastic. So i cut the box and folded it down about 10 inches and had to throw out the duvet i was using as padding.

It seems like theyve put that dimension restriction jig up without thinking it through. Maybe theyve got a new conveyor belt that limits the size rather than the actual storage hold in whichever plane you use. and that DAA has a size restriction , and so does the particular airplane youre taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

"Maybe theyve got a new conveyor belt that limits the size rather than the actual storage hold"

That's what has been said in the opening post.

Hence why i can't understand why the bike box can't be simply manually transferred like other much larger awkward items. 

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

This isn't the case. There's no issues with accessing Dublin Airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭cletus

I was up at Dublin airport very recently, and all the signage at the entrance certainly suggests no entry unless you are actually departing. I was collecting someone, so I waited outside, didn't actually try to enter

Advertisement