Advertisement
Private Profiles - an update on how they will be changing here
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.

DUBLIN IS TOTALLY UNLIVABLE

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭ crazy 88

That would be a normal sight in those areas compared to what he described

• Registered Users Posts: 7,550 ✭✭✭ dublinman1990

Jesus wept; that video looks really depressing. I can't understand how it's that bad in Philadelphia. Are people like those who would be struggling to stay upright over their knees as a result of all their drugtaking; currently visible on the streets of Dublin City Centre right now as a result of Covid?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Ashida

That is disgusting, and I live close by. I am feeling so depressed to live here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭ Thelonious Monk

Howth and Malahide are plagued with gangs? I'm often in both places and Malahide especially is about as middle class and quiet an area you can get. Jesus Dublin Live has a lot to answer for if this is what you all think lol.

I saw yesterday they took benches from a park in Cork due to anti social behaviour, people on Reddit were saying addicts and teenagers drinking were the cause. It doesn't make me think it's some lawless hellhole down there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,551 ✭✭✭✭ Kermit.de.frog

I'm a Dubliner and I'm happy to admit it (the anti-social feral behaviour, not being a Dubliner 😉 )

• Registered Users Posts: 21,551 ✭✭✭✭ Kermit.de.frog

Howth and Malahide have had issues recently of gangs of feral youth using the DART from other areas.

Yeah but cmon a few videos on Dublin Live is all it was. Kids have been going to these places on the Dart since I was a kid in the 90s, they just sensationalise everything now. If there was any real trouble in Malahide the residents wouldn't accept it for a second and it'd be sorted by Garda pretty quickly anyway.

• Advertisement

Not going to watch it but I assume it's some kid jumping on top of a car or something. Does seeing things like this really make you think the wealthy area of Malahide is dangerous because a few kids were messing? I live close to Clontarf and am there all the time and didn't realise there were any issues with anti-social behaviour, I've never noticed any anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭ BlackEdelweiss

Totally agree. I tried to buy a bit of hash from a guy on one of the streets off O'Connell St around 1995 and it turned out to be a bit of a magnet wrapped in loads of tin foil. I was feckin raging! Still am to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭ corner of hells

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭ mrslancaster

The number of times i've seen young people & teenagers described on this thread as feral youths, scrotes, scumbags, druggies etc is unreal. Talk about generalisations & exaggeration...

Htg if I didnt live in dublin i'd think the place was being over-run by zombie like mobs 24/7.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,406 ✭✭✭ YFlyer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭ Topgear on Dave

LOL I was just in Limerick yesterday and it was no oil painting.🤣

A bit of sun in this country uncovers some things which should remain covered. 😮

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭ Liam32123

Perfect Analysis. It is this 'spirit of denial' that I cannot understand. Had two Asian friends as guests yesterday from Greystones, one currently being made redundant. They decided to spend huge money on taxi round trip, as they never take the Dart after 5pm, after being assaulted on a train last year by a gang of teenagers (who were not eventually identified by the authorities). Sometimes I ask where my tax money go...no public healthcare, no security on streets and transports, basically nothing in return as a public service

No public healthcare?? but everyone is entitled to treatment in a public hospital. I can think of many public services that all of our taxes pay for. Do your kids go to school for example or get free GP services or do you receive childrens allowance? Who pays for the Gardai or the fire service or what if you needed an ambulance in an emergency. Does your locality have street lighting or do you use the many public parks or libraries? What about our excellent social welfare system that provides supports for those less fortunate or old, or people with illness or disabilities.

You get a lot of public services in return for taxes, maybe you hadnt thought about it clearly...

Aren't all the problems in Dublin just general Irish problems though albeit on a larger scale? I've seen counsellors get in the way of developments in Cork and Limerick too, and NIMBYism goes on countrywide. There has been uproar nationwide when it came to car restriction and cycle lanes and improving the public realm, sometimes councils try to do things but residents and some counsellors make changes for the good impossible. Look at the injection centre carry on, which was just snobbery at its finest. It may have helped greatly with the problems addicts have in Dublin, but no, NIMBY.

It just seems impossible to get anything done in this country.

Dublin is a lovely city and totally liveable in fact the whole country is. We are one of the most tolerant, open minded countries who welcome visitors and immigrants as can be seen by the high percentage of non-irish born numbers in our census figures. Our citizens enjoy religious, sexual and social freedoms that others dont and our great education system and many sporting activities are available to all equally. It's easy to start and operate a business which is one of the reasons so many MNC's are here and why we have so many work and employment opportunities. Our police force is not armed and our health service has done a great job in rolling out our vacination programme - for free too...

Sure, we have some problems that have become more visible since Covid like litter or graffitti and there are people that game our generous welfare system & others who engage in ASB. In the overall scheme of living a good life in a politically stable country, they are minor issues.

If everything here is as bad as some people feel, then that's obviously not a good way to live.

What are we talking about? For an urgent procedure to remove a polyp, I had to return to my country. Here it was performed only by private hospitals, and the least expensive asked me for 5,000 euros; in my country I did it for free at the public hospital.

Not to mention the creches; no support at all from the State. I can prove to you that they cost four or five times as much as in Spain. Eventually I gave up and got an au pair.

I don't understand the reason for denying the evidence

No denying any evidence here. I had a similar procedure done within two weeks in a public hospital, so no, its not only available in a private hospital.

The state does support pre-school years with the ECCE scheme, it's available for all children for two years whether they are attending a private or state funded creche/nursery.

This IT article has some interesting information about creches in Spain. Also info about the salaries that are paying those fees. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/childcare-the-european-experience-1.3618057

I don’t know what you are talking about. You’re just posting unrelated links

-Urgent Procedure for Hysteroscopy, only private could perform that in one month at 5.000 euros. A public hospital asked me to wait at least 5 months. 

-I had now to subscribe to a Healthcare Provider. Actually, I have already changed two providers; I spend money and services are very low level 

-I am very familiar with how useful can the ECCE Scheme be (sarcasm), no worries. I only know that I could not afford the creche for two children (and my income is not low at all)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Ashida

You can't even judge a neighborhood in a week, and I assure you that Caracas is a very livable city, so I don't understand the reference. I think it all depends on personal standards; I have been the victim of assaults twice in three years. And for me it is very serious and made me decide I want to change country

Advertisement