Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DUBLIN IS TOTALLY UNLIVABLE **Mod Warning In Post #671**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Could you show me just one piece of street furniture in Dublin CC that isn't vandalised? Everything is graffitied, markered or stickered. You can have a good time at the cities attractions whilst being disgusted at the general state of the city. It does look like the authorities have walked off the job though in the past 18 months, focusing entirely on shoehorning as much cycling infrastructure into the city instead of dealing with the myriad of other problems.

I don't know if it's money that's the problem. It's a social attitude one, a lack of civic ownership and pride in the city, no consequences for vandals or litterers.

I often hear that ad on the radio "bin your gum or face a €100 fine" and have a little laugh to myself, have you ever heard of anyone getting one of those? Ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Street furniture that isn't vandalised... off the top of my head the seating areas on Chatham St, the benches in Merrion Square, the benches along the canal at Baggot St bridge that I have lunch on regularly are fully functioning too. They've done some good work during covid, the streets around South William St have restricted cars to a certain extent, new paving and seating on Drury St, Dawson St has had a few buildings redeveloped and it's looking well.

Do you think the civic pride thing is a Dublin thing or a national thing, because I regularly see instances of dumping and litter and pollution all over Ireland?

They haven't done anywhere near enough for cycling infra in my opinion but that's another thread, it's still getting better though.

None of those benches have any stickers on them, none? Permanent marker graffiti?

There is barely a streetlight in the city that isn't stickered.

Well that's pretty normal in all cities, but no I hadn't noticed this on what I mentioned, I guess I don't go looking for these things or worry about them. Ever been to Berlin or London? Does that actually bother you?

Ever been to Tokyo, Singapore? Just because that bullshit is tolerated in other western countries doesn't mean it should be tolerated here. No council effort goes into removing these either.

And yes, it does bother me. It looks like every fuckwit that fancies themselves as a graphic artist has chosen to impose their "work" on the rest of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭dubrov

I'm afraid you are just getting old.

It happens to us all at some stage 😁

I really hope we never try to imitate the likes of Singapore, they're kind of OTT with everything. Anyway, Dublin isn't going to change overnight but it's always improving in my opinion, if I were you I'd try and focus on the things you like about the place, get involved with groups trying to make the place better, or just don't visit/live in the place if it upsets you that much.

You think Dublin is always improving? Aside from cycling infrastructure, what exactly has improved in the last 18 months? The city is visibly more littered, and now has gangs of youths roaming the streets attacking people.

I had to go into the city in the early hours last week and ended up traversing down south William St. To say the atmosphere was hostile would be the nicest way if putting it.

The fingers in the ears ignoring the cities problems, whilst telling ourselves the city is great has gone on long enough. Perhaps you should tell the pregnant woman that lost her baby after being assaulted in the city how great the place is. Or the lad that was forced to perform a sex act on two other men or the family of the cleaner that was murdered outside CHQ.

Well I have never had a problem with gangs of youths attacking people, Dublin has always been a tough town and Dublin Live and mobile phones have just meant incidents are widely publicised now. I don't know anyone who has any issues with security in the city centre, and I know a couple of women my age that live in IFSC and Temple Bar and have never had any issues. Personally I think it was far rougher in the 90s, where I used to see fights nearly every time I went out at the weekend, that doesn't appear to be the case any more as most people are just more chilled out these day.

I have never in my life felt any kind of "menace" in the air in the city centre, especially not around South William St ffs. I think this is down to your own mindset, and I have no idea why you'd live in a place that made you feel that uncomfortable.

The pregnant woman was attacked by someone well known to her, these things happen everywhere, and sexual assault is a problem everywhere too.

I think you need to chill out tbh and stop worrying, the chances of anything happening to you are very slim.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,763 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Dublin is dis-improving.

when the Metro, was proposed to when the first passenger will avail of the service, 26 years will have passed. That could change because of covid.

one line 16 stops, 26 fûcking years. One third of a persons lifetime.

Copenhagen metro took just 10 years.

Also it was planned, designed and built for a population far less then it will be forced to try and accommodate...ie. It won’t be fit for purpose.

my parents were both still working when it was given the green light... they are unsure if they’ll still be around and living when the first train moves with passengers.

Dublin is overpopulated, difficult to transport oneself, unsafe, expensive. It’s getting worse, it’s dis-improving

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Luxemburgo

That is because the focus is on/money spent on the blameless 5-10% and not the 90-95% who want to get on with their life within the boundaries of the law, and contribute to society/life.

We are so so soft on certain cohorts due to both the fear of offence, and the "optics"

I take it then that you've never walked the boardwalk?

The metro is not happening because of parish pump politics and Dublin not having enough power over itself or its own finances. This isn't Dublin's fault, it's the fault of Ireland and how it is governed. Look at the traffic disaster that is Galway, or the lack of public transport all over Ireland, and the complete lack of planning in rural Ireland which has made it 100% private car dependent. Dublin's faults are just a mirror of the problems of the whole country, but an easy target for people to point fingers at. It's all down to terrible governance at a national level, too many TDs with vested interests and lobby groups get in the way of big infrastructure projects, all except road building for some reason.

of course I have, loads of times, addicts frequent there but I don't have any ill feelings towards them and they don't bother me, I just feel bad for them. If you are so appalled by them why do you ever go near the boardwalk yourself?

I have more sense than to walk the boardwalk after being assaulted by a junkie, thanks.

It should be demolished imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Nonsense we should just deal with those causing the problems.

As novel an approach as that might be for this generation of politicians

We should deal with the societal problems that mean many people end up homeless and addicted, instead of looking down upon them.

Thats worked very well so far.......

We should do both, and hope the next generation avoids these pitfalls.

I am not looking down on anyone

it hasn't worked very well has it? there are still too many miserable people from miserable backgrounds ending up with mental health issues, addiction and homelessness.

It hasn't, and there must be a massive focus on ensuring their kids don't fall into the same traps they did.

Not just getting rid of a boardwalk because people cause trouble on it..

The concentration of drug related facilities in the city centre doesn't help either, or the increasing numbers of social housing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Liam32123

So, shall I justify also my username because I am a foreigner? are you serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I agree I'm originally from tallaght and I moved down to Carrick on Shannon 2 years ago simply because it was to expensive to keep renting throwing money away so we bought a 2 bed house for €69,000

My employer is an American multinational that has chosen Dublin as its European headquarter only for the low corporation tax. 

They convinced me to take the job, and as soon as I arrived I bought a house in the centre. It was my big mistake, I admit it.

Actually now I'm sending my CV to other EU States, but I haven't been lucky so far because the companies in my sector have all their headquarters in Ireland. And my children need clothes and food.

Like so many other Europeans here, I pay a lot of taxes in this country, I don't even have the right to vote; I just want to wake up and not have to worry about my children. Sorry about that

So you arrived, saved for a long time, got to know the city and then decided to buy a place around Jervis st? That's not even remotely believable.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Heraclius

I'm sorry your experience of Ireland has been so poor. Have you considered moving to a different part of Dublin or to a suburb?

You can vote for local and European elections here if you want to. I don't know if many countries allow non citizens to vote in parliamentary or presidential elections.

Thank you. My point about 'voting' was that writing in a forum is probably the only way I can express my opinion. For some months I considered selling here and buying a house in Kilkenny, as they told me it is a very pleasant town; however, I have to see if they will let me work from home also in the next years. Yes, going to live in Kilkenny is one of my options if I have to remain other years

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The Boardwalk is a failure and a no go area for most people now. It's a place for those up to no good to congregate and operate in gangs and numbers.

One easy fix would be to get rid of the benches and just allow coffee/tea stalls with seating reserved for those purchasing same. But you know yourself, the cocky feckers would take the cafe seats and shout and roar and God help anyone who intervenes.

Forget about the effect removing the benches would have on the law abiding citizens because few of them ever sit there anyway, no point, harrassed for money or worse before five minutes are up.

Or just make it a cycleway, no seats, no pedestrians, at least that would serve a useful purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Heraclius

If you are uncertain about your future in the country it wouldn't make great sense to buy anywhere though; it would be better to rent despite the costs until you are sure about an area and your future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Most Dubs stay away from the boardwalk because they know the issues. Tourists/visitors don't unfortunately and will innocently wander along there. Not only is it dodgy from a safety perspective, it's dreadful image of the city. It's not just about street fights or assaults or uneasy atmosphere - it's the city's reputation as well.

I would agree it's more trouble than it's worth and something should be done. But it's just one thing. There are many things that need to be sorted out right across a good chunk of the city center.

I think it's been allowed decay to a point where I think it's going be very difficult to sort this stuff out at this stage.

We are reaping what has been sowed for decades. The city has never been looked after or run properly.

Advertisement