Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DUBLIN IS TOTALLY UNLIVABLE **Mod Warning In Post #671**

Options
  • 06-07-2021 8:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Liam32123

Dublin (at least the city center) has become literally unlivable, especially for foreign people who don't have their family here. There are street fights on all sides; people taking crack and heroin on every corner;
    you have to do the slalom between excrements to walk; police totally absent and if you try to report a fact to the people in charge they consider you as the problem. Women certainly risk walking alone. Most of all, there is a total absence of values

It feels like living in a nightmare
    Post edited by JupiterKid on

Comments

It's unliveable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

Thanks for letting us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

What an over exaggeration

I was surprised how much it’s been let slip to the gutter. Will there be an effort to clean up most of it post lockdowns or is it as good as gone now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Its grand, could be better but could be a lot worse.

More Gardai and an effective system of dealing with scumbags wouldn't go amiss but that's a wider issue than just Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭Allinall

Liam32123 wrote: »
    Dublin (at least the city center) has become literally unlivable, especially for foreign people who don't have their family here. There are street fights on all sides; people taking crack and heroin on every corner;
    you have to do the slalom between excrements to walk; police totally absent and if you try to report a fact to the people in charge they consider you as the problem. Women certainly risk walking alone. Most of all, there is a total absence of values

It feels like living in a nightmare

I was in Dublin city centre last night for about 5 hours.
    Henry St, up through Temple Bar, Grafton St and up Camden Street.

What I saw was shocking. People sitting outside pubs and restaurants enjoying themselves.
    Not a sign of a street fight.
    Didn't see anyone taking crack or heroin.
    Searched yards and yards of pavements, but not one bit of excrement could I find.

I'll try again at the weekend, and hopefully will have something more positive to report.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I just checked the corner of my street and no poo or junkies in sight. Hope to have both sorted shortly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Liam32123

From your answers I assume you are all locals

Take a walk with your children from Capel Street to Croppies Acre Memorial Park at 7pm and get me updated

Self-criticism is a rare commodity, and I assume the rule here is to proceed with keyboard sarcasm and bullying to address the problem

People have been saying Dublin is unliveable since Damo the Viking turned to his mate Erik and said "I don't think much of the summers."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Is that because of all the shouting???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

There are definitely more junkies in the centre of Dublin than in any other city I've been too; at the same time, there seems to be fairly little petty crime like pickpockets and muggings, and women are a lot less likely to be harassed than in other European cities.

So, as with so many things, a bit of a mixed bag.

• ok then. Lay off the TESCO lager too bud. Go back to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Thank your lucky stars you didnt live in Dublins inner city in the late eighties through to the early mid 90s

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Liam32123

Allinall wrote: »

What I saw was shocking. People sitting outside pubs and restaurants enjoying themselves.
    Searched yards and yards of pavements, but not one bit of excrement could I find.

I'll try again at the weekend, and hopefully will have something more positive to report.

"Didn't see anyone taking crack or heroin.
    Searched yards and yards of pavements, but not one bit of excrement could I find"

Are you sure you went through Henry Street and all those small street close to ILAC mall? WHY DON'T YOU MAKE A VIDEO NEXT TIME AND POST IT HERE? (INCLUDING THE PAVEMENTS). You see I am very stupid not to believe in that. Please humiliate me once again

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭JPup

This post feels about 3 months out of date. The city is already a lot better than it was just during the lockdown. Will get back to normal soon once the last restrictions end.

Dublin was not in any way unusual in that by the way. Loads of cities around Europe had curfews in place for months. Once you take out the normal football and activities in a city, it is to be expected that the atmosphere will worsen as druggies and criminals see a chance to take over.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

El Tarangu wrote: »
    There are definitely more junkies in the centre of Dublin than in any other city I've been too; at the same time, there seems to be fairly little petty crime like pickpockets and muggings, and women are a lot less likely to be harassed than in other European cities.

So, as with so many things, a bit of a mixed bag.

There in every city but in other cities that you visit, you're not there as often as Dublin or know it as well. Also the centre you talk about is really O'Connell St and it's off shoots so quite a small concentrated area. You see less of them around College green , Grafton St etc. In other cities they'd be more spread out or confined to other areas

Despite the trollish post from the OP Dublin is a very safe and vibrant city to be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

I live in Dublin city center. I am not from here or have family. Throughout the entire pandemic, I have not seen a single fight. Nor a single person taking crack/heroin (obviously have seen a few enjoying the subsequent side effects). Not one bit of dog poo. Agree with the "no guards", but that has always been the case. I see and know, lots of single girls who walk alone without being afraid their own shadow.

Dublin has always been a dirty kip. It is proud of being a dirty kip. But it is a totally liveable dirty kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

In my early 20’s as a poor student I briefly lived in Dublin City Centre. It was a kip back then. There was an alley behind the apartment. Very popular spot for junkies shooting up. Never felt safe walking around after dark. Plenty of fights witnessed and many of those between couples. It was a culture shock to be honest and luckily rents crashed and I was able to get out of there to the suburbs of South Dublin.I can’t imagine it got any better during the pandemic when there was a drop in workers going in and out of the city every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I work with a fair few EU nationals, there are 3 French women in my team. They have no issues walking around Dublin on their own at night and feel much safer here than in any large French town or city.

There's a lot more visible issues here than in some cities, but to be honest at this stage they are more in the category of annoying, but tend to stay out of your way. I'd be very familiar with Hamburg and Frankfurt, they have some serious drug problems and I've seen far worse there than here as well as far more open gang criminality.

Yeah, Dublin can be frustrating at times, but it's not as bad as most European cities in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Its grand, could be better but could be a lot worse.

More Gardai and an effective system of dealing with scumbags wouldn't go amiss but that's a wider issue than just Dublin.

our police force much prefer plonking themselves on roads holding speed cameras or pulling people over for motor tax offenses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    our police force much prefer plonking themselves on roads holding speed cameras or pulling people over for motor tax offenses

And they don't even do that enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

dotsman wrote: »
    I live in Dublin city center. I am not from here or have family. Throughout the entire pandemic, I have not seen a single fight. Nor a single person taking crack/heroin (obviously have seen a few enjoying the subsequent side effects). Not one bit of dog poo. Agree with the "no guards", but that has always been the case. I see and know, lots of single girls who walk alone without being afraid their own shadow.

Dublin has always been a dirty kip. It is proud of being a dirty kip. But it is a totally liveable dirty kip.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who goes into town, enjoys going to the shops or to Merrion or St Stephen's Green, has a nice lunch, goes for a coffee, and generally just has a nice time.
    Everyone else is just getting high off other people's heroin smoke and avoiding being stabbed.
    I love going into town myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I don’t like Dublin and would hate to live there. I have seen this type of post regularly before and I have to ask, especially non nationals who have no family here…why the hell did YOU chose to live in Dublin? There are hundreds if not thousands of other towns and villages that you could have chosen to move to where rent would be considerably less and you would have a better quality of life than living in a dingey flat in Dublin City centre. Move the **** out of the city if it’s that bad!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

bring back lugs brannigan

• Registered Users Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

fryup wrote: »
    bring back lugs brannigan

no he sounded like a horrible wanker

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

Been in a few times and have seen a few dodgy characters and shouting matches between said dodgy characters.

I've seen plenty of garda too.

It's okay but could be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

no he sounded like a horrible wanker

maybe he had to be to get the job done

• Registered Users Posts: 16,355 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

No deluge of culchies in this thread talking about how much of a kip they know Dublin is?

Non nationals end up living in Dublin because the majority of jobs that attract people to come and live in another country are based in Dublin. Seems a simple enough thing to understand.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Allinall wrote: »

I hate people whinging about Dublin, I love living here and will defend it always. However twice recently I brought my daughter to the Jervis St. McDonalds, and multiple people were openly doing crack in that green area behind The Church, so while perhaps exaggerated, that part is not totally false.

There was also a group of 2-3 spaced out junkies trying to steal a bike in broad daylight; they were gradually joined by more and more fellow zombies who only impeded their effort. There were about 8 of them at it by the time I left, one had injured himself in his attempts. There were at least 50 people out of their minds on something.

Suppose it helps that they congregate in one area and can be avoided, but it's a shame that when they're so visible there isn't more of a Garda presence, especially just off one of the main shopping streets in the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,484 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

nullzero wrote: »
    No deluge of culchies in this thread talking about how much of a kip they know Dublin is?

Non nationals end up living in Dublin because the majority of jobs that attract people to come and live in another country are based in Dublin. Seems a simple enough thing to understand.

I don't think so. A place with 1.5 million people out of 5 million is unlikely to have the majority of anything. And certainly not non nationals, according to the Census.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp7md/p7md/p7anii/

Advertisement