Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Favourite Historical Films

Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,121 mod Manach

As there is news that the Master and Commander series is getting a reboot (my own favourite) and having recently read/heard the book A Historian Goes to the Movies by Gregory S. Aldrete : wondering what historical films would people recommend watching.

Comments

Manach wrote: »
    As there is news that the Master and Commander series is getting a reboot (my own favourite) and having recently read/heard the book A Historian Goes to the Movies by Gregory S. Aldrete : wondering what historical films would people recommend watching.

I didn't hear that - too old now, I had an offer to crew on HMS Rose back then but had to decline due to a several month time committment. One of my few life regrets and thinking about it still rankles.

True POB/JA fans were not impressed with Master & Commander. In fairness to Peter Weir he did try to be authentic to the novels but the result was at a cost to box office receipts. Should there be a sequel/prequel (I believe it unlikely) it most likely will be a travesty as the $bottom $line will be the driver. Think of ‘Braveheart’ and ‘The Patriot’.

For all its faults I like ‘Lawrence of Arabia’; OK it was filmed in Jordan, had too much sand instead of scrub (to fit with US notions of desert), the Arabs are shown rather like the Irish in a 19th century Punch Magazine, etc. However, certain scenes are accurate (the ‘No Prisoners!’ is one) and it also shows the duplicity of the Brits. and their respect for a treaty. (Ahem, like the NIP!) Being based on the Seven Pillars too had confines, just as a Roman history film would have were it based on Caesar’s ‘de Bellico Gallico’.