Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car valuation

• 01-07-2021 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all. Unfortunately my car was written off in an accident recently - car was a 131 Skoda Octavia Elegance model, 148000km, 1.2 petrol. Beautiful car, leather seats etc. Will be missed.. :(

The insurance company has come back with a valuation of €8250. I have looked online at similar cars but can't get my head around whether this is a decent offer or not and would appreciate some opinions.

If anyone has any suggestions of a good replacement car to buy now for €8000-€10000 that would also be great - we love the boot space and size of the Octavia so would be looking for similar.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Looking at donedeal it seems close enough to correct valuation....maybe push for a few more hundred euro...there are elegance models asking more.

As for what to get next, I think you've answered your own question, just buy another.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Carquestion112

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    Looking at donedeal it seems close enough to correct valuation....maybe push for a few more hundred euro...there are elegance models asking more.

As for what to get next, I think you've answered your own question, just buy another.

Thanks for your reply Buddy Bubs. Yea I could only find a few Elegance models none of which were directly comparable which was making it hard to get a good idea of value. If I decide to push for a few hundred more would I just send the insurance company the ads I've found?

Haha yes I'm 99% sure we'll go for another one. Was just curious if there were any other suggestions

From looking online I won't be able to buy a comparable Octavia with what they're offering, hence the thread. New to all this and it's very stressful and unexpected

• Registered Users Posts: 81,111 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

You could have a look at the VRT calculator to see what the OMSP price of the car would be, that might help.

https://www.ros.ie/evrt-enquiry/vrtenquiry.html?execution=e2s1

• Registered Users Posts: 51,109 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I don't think the insurance company will take a VRT valuation, you will need to show them identical cars for sale on the likes of donedeal and even at that they will probably claim that asking prices are not selling prices. However you don't have to accept their first valuation offer which will always be low to suit them. Present your case and evidence of higher value cars to their assessor and negotiate a better settlement figure with them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

If the accident was caused by a third party, your options are greater than if you are claiming off your own insurer.

You can play hard ball if it is against another insurance company, but not so much with your own.

• Advertisement
Advertisement