Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Neighbour spray painting

• 01-07-2021 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hi all
    I have a neighbour spray painting out his back garden. What is the best options to deal with it
    Any help would be great thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

Needs planning permission

Report to county council (environmental health, noise nuisance, planning enforcement)

Maybe check if he has planning permission before going full John Wick

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

It's anonymous.

I expect you'll be told to eff off if you call into them.

Is there a residents association or long term resident who knows the background?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭con747

Report to the council and let them deal with it. You do not want the neighbour knowing it was you who reported them unless you want a confrontation when or if he is told to stop.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Deeec

What is he spray painting?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Go the Council route, but I think they may be informed who complained (which if there is a breach, imo is stupid), depending on the council, you may make no progress.
    Maybe consider going to local Councillors or other Politicans in the area? they might make more headway with the Council than you alone.
    I suggest keep a record in the meantime, ie of times/duration/effect, ie odours, and maybe a description, i.e sickly, noxious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Which of you has lived there the longest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Which of you has lived there the longest

What does that have to do with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Even in a business park you would need "industrial use" to do spray painting.

So it's an absolute no in a residential setting.

The absolute quickest route is the HSA under the chemicals heading of complaint

They will act in days

http://www.hsa.ie/eng/customer_service/make_a_complaint/

I'd maybe add that you child has complained of sore eyes and you have noticed redness in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Send a written complaint to the Enforcement Section of the Planning Department of your local authority.

They are required under the Planning Act to investigate your complaint.

They will not disclose your identity.

nigwerwig wrote: »
    Not sure I can never see them but I think it's kitchens

He 100% should not be doing this in a residential area. As well as a health hazard there are strict controls over how paints are stored as they are a huge fire risk.

In addition to the above chances are he is not paying rates or possibly tax. He could have a world of trouble coming down the line. Its best for you to stay silent and let the council/environmental health/HSA deal with it.

• Advertisement

nigwerwig wrote: »
    Is there a way to find out what sort of business there doing just from there address

Did you try googling the address to see if anything comes up?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ReadySteadyGo

You might want to anonomise your post a bit. There cant be too many people in the country in this position.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭bobbyss

nigwerwig wrote:
    Hi all I have a neighbour spray painting out his back garden. What is the best options to deal with it Any help would be great thanks

What exactly does spray painting out his back garden mean?

bobbyss wrote: »
    What exactly does spray painting out his back garden mean?

Presumably someone is spraying cars or kitchens/furniture or something commercially, in the back garden of a house (I also missed the pre-edit OP).

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

He may also be liable for commercial rates if operating a business. He may also have to apply to Council for change of use of workshop.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

nibtrix wrote: »
    What does that have to do with it?

Everything, there is a big difference between the odd bit of DIY and a commercial operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Jim2007 wrote: »

Everything, there is a big difference between the odd bit of DIY and a commercial operation.

What does that have to do with which of them have lived there longer though? I totally agree with you by the way, someone doing a minor bit of spraying very occasionally for their hobby or for DIY is different than commercial use.
    However the comment I responded to was “which of you has lived there longer?” and I wanted to know what difference that made? Was that poster trying to suggest that if the sprayer was there longer then they were entitled to do what they wanted?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Commercial premises beside my work were spray painting and it got carried in the wind and damaged all our cars. They paid to fix them but it cost them many many thousands. If the setup is not right there will be remnants of the spray in and on neighboring properties. Needs to be using a proper booth with PPE, although probably shouldn't even be doing it in residential area anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭nigwerwig

This is 100 not DIY multi-person operation open air spraying

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

shar01 wrote: »
    He may also be liable for commercial rates if operating a business. He may also have to apply to Council for change of use of workshop.

You can only be liable for rates if it has a change of use granted. I wouldn't even think of using this argument as its a non runner.

Easier, quickest and most applicable complaint is HSA under the chemical use. In some cases it will be actioned in a couple of days.

If you go a council route, it can take a couple of years.

HSA has the power to issue a shut down notice on the spot and if you ignore it, it can be taken to court immediately. No ifs or buts or writing letters and giving 90 days notice and options of appeal and hoping someone will act on it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement