Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reg that suits the car

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Brian Scan wrote: »
    You need to get out more.

Ah, he's only helping keep down the price on non-D used cars. Sure in these days of DPFs and DMFs it's as logical to avoid D reg cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,646 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

CoBo55 wrote: »
    It's easy to get a D reg when you get a new car, just get the dealer to put in your address and instead of the actual county put in Dublin. When you go to tax it online using the vin number change the address to the correct one and you're sorted.

I still say that the Government are missing a trick there with used cars.

When you buy it, you should be allowed re-register it as part of the transfer process, maybe for a small fee (<100. Should be less but this Ireland). Lots of people would register to their home/preferred county and few extra quid for the tax man.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,646 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Brian Scan wrote: »
    You need to get out more.

Not at all. It's reflected in the market as I said.

I'll grant you though that a lot of non-Dubs have a chip about "dem up der" alright. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,660 ✭✭✭CoBo55

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I still say that the Government are missing a trick there with used cars.

When you buy it, you should be allowed re-register it as part of the transfer process, maybe for a small fee (<100. Should be less but this Ireland). Lots of people would register to their home/preferred county and few extra quid for the tax man.

Just get a vintage car and put any number you like on it that's the norm here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Water2626262

Used to always be a premium XX D 4 car. Like a CLK, Porsche or a Jaguar. Pretty tacky to be fair. Then the recession came. A Seat Altea in 2010.

Personally I’d hate a distinctive reg. Would feel like I’d have no anonymity. Not that I do anything dodgy but would feel I’m on show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭zg3409

557475.jpg

21 ID4 (ID4 from VW) 211-D-4

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I used to own a Mercedes demo car. Reg was 02-D-270. It was an ML270.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Would it be primarily dealers reserving specific plates for their press car?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭zg3409

Would it be primarily dealers reserving specific plates for their press car?

Many sandyford dealers used to put show regs on their UK imports such as 201 D 1 and you would see them test driving around sandyford. In theory they would have green dealer plates inside the window.

The cost of pre-booking a reg used to be cheap, then it went crazy expensive, so even dealers would think twice. Generally it's showy cars from rich owners now.

Some clever people don't pay to reserve a number, but they are in counties with less demand and less likely to have people pay to reserve. I have heard they (via dealer interfaces) wait for registrations to be released and take for free things like 201kk1 as no one has reserved it. I think they are released on new years eve. One bus company does this regularly.

The Facebook group Irish vehicles past and present often has the details, and you can look up the reg using online tools. Some regs are reserved such as the first one for Dublin and possibly Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭ofcork

A lot of the AMG mercedes had the plates to match over the years 04 C 55 or 63 etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

That would be a cop car, low Dublin numbers are nearly all cop cars

No, before they used to keep any number under 200 for reservations. Ie. Numbers started counting from 200.

They then changed the cost of reserving from 350 to 1000 and people stopped so now the numbers start at 1.

The Mayor of Limerick had the number 1 for years. I still see their 2004 Prius and 2008 Avensis around.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

[PEDANT]Think they started at 201 not 200[/PEDANT]

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Seems you’re right!

Depressing ther 06/07/08 D 200 are all C class Mercs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,660 ✭✭✭CoBo55

zg3409 wrote: »
    Many sandyford dealers used to put show regs on their UK imports such as 201 D 1 and you would see them test driving around sandyford. In theory they would have green dealer plates inside the window.

The cost of pre-booking a reg used to be cheap, then it went crazy expensive, so even dealers would think twice. Generally it's showy cars from rich owners now.

Some clever people don't pay to reserve a number, but they are in counties with less demand and less likely to have people pay to reserve. I have heard they (via dealer interfaces) wait for registrations to be released and take for free things like 201kk1 as no one has reserved it. I think they are released on new years eve. One bus company does this regularly.

The Facebook group Irish vehicles past and present often has the details, and you can look up the reg using online tools. Some regs are reserved such as the first one for Dublin and possibly Cork.

Kavanaghs of Urlingford and Slatterys in Kerry.
    Another industry practically wiped out by this great government.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Few years ago saw UK registered Citroen DS5 with a plate DS54FUN. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,458 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

joujoujou wrote: »
    Few years ago saw UK registered Citroen DS5 with a plate DS54FUN. :)

Trading Standards would want a word about that claim :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

mgbgt1978 wrote: »

Pharmacist in Limerick. Brought the Car in himself from the UK and had to jump through a few hoops to get a Leitrim address (but his name) and to have the number held for himself.
    He also has a lovely E9 CSL.

Interesting! Mate of mine owns it now and another mate owned it about 7 years ago.

The complication there is that you’re applying for the number in advance and the process is more manual than on ROS where you can just put in any address with the drop-down for the county and it’ll give you a reg number for that county.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I've been wandering around like rainman trying to spot one since I saw this thread. I got this one today and feel so gratified.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Doublebusy

@boombang that did make me laugh.. Nice find

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

There is a 1.6 Peugeot 206 in town with the reg 02-SO-206.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Used to being an early 911 on Ailesbury Road PZO 911. Looked good on the black and silver plate

Comical one was a 00 or 01 S320 I was driving behind years ago. Last 5 digits were 8008!

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭User1998

Just saw 211-G-63

It was a Mercedes G Class

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭ofcork

Was it an actual G63 AMG?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Fidoodles

Must have been 201 G 63.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭User1998

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Lovely reworking of the hatchback.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭JoyPad

I crossed paths in Belfast with a VW Tiguan, license plate T16AUN. I thought why on Earth would you go for the wrong spelling?! Turns out T16UAN is a different VW Tiguan.

The reg number H1ACE is now on a Range Rover Sport.

Never forget your roots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

They are not going to do that and mess-up the fixation ppl have in this country with the year of the car. Buy a plate keep it forever would be just too easy.

Advertisement