Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Tour de France stage 4: Redon to Fougères (150.4km)

1235»

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats


    Brian? wrote: »
    He’s great at finishing after being delivered by a sprint train.

    I don’t think you can say his win today was down to his sprint train only. He had a lot to do to finish it himself.


  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Doc07


    Brian? wrote: »
    True enough. Plus Cipo won more outside the GTs.

    And he was much cooler all around.

    Petacchi was a monster too. Loved the guy.

    He was cool but Cipo was also a proven doper


  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Doc07


    Brian? wrote: »
    The hyperbole. He is not the greatest anything ever.

    Sorry I should have been more specific…best TdF sprinter ever,ever,ever!!!! Did I say best ever? Yes I meant best ever.
    Go Cav! Most fun shouting at the telly since I screamed for Sam last year.


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie


    Mr. Cats wrote: »
    I don’t think you can say his win today was down to his sprint train only. He had a lot to do to finish it himself.

    Didn't have a sprint train in 2011 when he won the world championship either. Didn't he pretty much beat an entire german sprint train to the finish, and another country too.

    It's an overly simplistic belittling to be honest


  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Doc07


    Brian? wrote: »
    I’ll amend my answer. In one very narrow discipline he is the greatest. He’s the best ever at winning sprint stages in stage races.

    1 monument classic isn’t enough to call him the greatest sprinter ever.

    I’m the era of sprint trains and specialist sprinters , so maybe early 1990s onwards , how many sprinters apart from a Tom Boonen have won multiple monuments. Won’t need too many fingers to count.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino


    Doc07 wrote: »
    I’m the era of sprint trains and specialist sprinters , so maybe early 1990s onwards , how many sprinters apart from a Tom Boonen have one multiple monuments. Won’t need too many fingers to count.

    Erik Zabel (4)

    Oscar Freire (3) - plus 3 world championships

    John Degenkolb (2)

    Gerard Ciolek (1)


  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Doc07


    Erik Zabel (4)

    Oscar Freire (3) - plus 3 world championships

    John Degenkolb (2)

    Gerard Ciolek (1)

    Forgot about Zabel but pretty sure he’s also in the ‘proven doper’ category. Grand so, the fingers of one hand even including Zabel and Cav has a one monument and one Worlds…..and 31 Tour stages !


  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    Does Kristoff count as a sprinter?


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭thecretinhop


    like a dark zeplin in de night lol


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc


    Terrible day. Cavendish won a stage and then England beat Germany.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭thecretinhop


    kirky lost de plot epic rlol


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,169 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland


    wow that's some comeback what a win. great finish


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭retalivity


    REBELSAFC wrote: »
    bump

    I'll take that, I really didnt think he'd be anywhere near a stage anymore at a TDF.
    Delighted for him all the same, i actuallly like cav!


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle


    I'll be switching too TG4 for the next few stages. In fairness to Cav as well, he looked more confident when he left his own train and used others. Credit where credit is due, he is one of the fastest riders on the planet in regards reading a situation and reacting. Glad for him that he also still had that pop at the end, the riders beside him actually gave up in the last few metres as he came up beside them so he got in their heads.


  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    CramCycle wrote: »
    I'll be switching too TG4 for the next few stages. In fairness to Cav as well, he looked more confident when he left his own train and used others. Credit where credit is due, he is one of the fastest riders on the planet in regards reading a situation and reacting. Glad for him that he also still had that pop at the end, the riders beside him actually gave up in the last few metres as he came up beside them so he got in their heads.

    Commentary on TG4 today wasn't as good when i caught the highlights earlier, they seemed to have had a different guy on in place of one of the usual lads.


Advertisement