Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spam phonecalls, nothing but silence?

Options
  • 28-06-2021 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

Is anyone else here getting between two and ten phonecalls a day from +353 87 7xxxxxx phone numbers, where there's silence for about ten seconds before they hang up? With no voicemails left, and no other information. Googling for the numbers used doesn't give me much useful.

I also had a few spam calls from a different method, where the calls came from +353 85 387 xxxx numbers, but that would end the ten seconds of silence with a computerised female voice saying "Goodbye!"

I'm at the point where I'm picking up the phone to unknown Irish mobile numbers and just waiting for someone to speak before I respond. I'm curious how prevalent this kind of spam call is amongst other Irish mobile phone users.

The phone number being called is my Vodafone business account, and less than a year old, and not my own personal number thankfully. To my knowledge the phone number was not used on any of the cracked databases, and hasn't shown up on any of the common pwned sites as far as I can see.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

On the first page: Scam calls

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Yes, I had already read that thread, but my experience was different to the posters on that thread as I'm not getting any sounds on the line before the hangup from the 087 numbers. That's why I started a new thread, and my use of the spam call definition, and not a scam call.

It may be that the autodiallers are having problems with my connection as my phone is not currently attaching to any of the Irish providers so it may be beeping strangely to the diallers.

It's still weird to have incoming phone calls from a variety of numbers that hang up after ~10 seconds of silence.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Silence on your part is the way to handle those calls. They are dialled by a robot and, rather than pay call agents to listen to the ring tone, their machine waits for someone to take the call and say 'hello'. Whereupon the call is routed to an available agent.

I've had several of these calls, I answer the call but say nothing and they hang up after a few seconds. My reasoning is that they will then log my number as being associated with a SIM in a car tracker device or a home burglar alarm and they won't bother trying again.

If you answer with 'hello' then (as with spam e-mails that you reply to) they know that the number is genuine and they'll probably add you to the list that they sell on to other spammers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

They're auto dialling and not all answered calls get picked up. This has been a feature of scam calls for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Agreed, no response from my side is what I have been doing for a long time anyway, I lose nothing by that process anyway as a "real" call will say something worthwhile.

I do wonder if continually raising complaints to the providers on each and every one of the calls that comes in, would allow them to get the information to prevent those calls from coming inwards to the networks, and/or removing the entry points to the networks if those points are in .ie.

Hmm, maybe a fax machine pick up noise would work too..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

All I can suggest is that you dont answer phone to numbers you dont recognise.

tdf7187 wrote: »

I'd miss many calls each day doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭sidcon

Download an app called true caller, it's identifies most of these calls as scams before you answer

Free version do not pay for the paid service-its not needed

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

We've had several of these scam calls. However, we have to answer them as we get calls from the hospital for treatment for a family member, and they always use a mobile number which we don't recognise too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

That is not a practical solution for most people. If you phone the likes of your cable TV company or the local plumber for a service or repair, someone will probably phone you from a mobile to arrange a time. And chances are that you won't recognise the number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Thats easy to say if your phone is in use privately but when you use it for work it wont work that way

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

just block the number

fryup wrote: »
    just block the number

:confused: Block what number? There is no single number. It's a different, yet valid number, every time.
    You can't block every unknown number and still have a functioning phone fit for purpose.

I have had these silent calls but from several 0044 numbers.Sometimes i said 'hello' sometimes i said nothing. After a few seconds of silence beep beep like somone hung up

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

fryup wrote: »
    just block the number

You have no idea of what is going on. They are generating a new random number every time.

Advertisement