Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Best approach to dryline wetroom

  • 28-06-2021 6:28pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭ Ginger83


    4 walls in a bathroom / wet room, 2 will be stud partition walls, 1 external block wall and 1 stone wall which was an external but will now be internal.

    I plan to tile all walls so what is the best products to use to dryline?


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭ Ronney


    Ginger83 wrote: »
    4 walls in a bathroom / wet room, 2 will be stud partition walls, 1 external block wall and 1 stone wall which was an external but will now be internal.

    I plan to tile all walls so what is the best products to use to dryline?

    Gyproc etc all make a Moisture Board (Green) for use in Bathrooms and the likes.


  • Subscribers Posts: 36,269 ✭✭✭✭ sydthebeat


    Ronney wrote: »
    Gyproc etc all make a Moisture Board (Green) for use in Bathrooms and the likes.

    i wouldnt be using a gypsum based product, id use a WBP type product instead.

    Tiles will be changed at some stage in the future, and if you use plasterboard the whole wall will be torn off with the tiles.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭ Ginger83


    sydthebeat wrote: »
    i wouldnt be using a gypsum based product, id use a WBP type product instead.

    Tiles will be changed at some stage in the future, and if you use plasterboard the whole wall will be torn off with the tiles.

    What products are available?


  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ milehip


    Tile backer board or cement board,
    open to correction on this


  • Registered Users Posts: 36 fluffykre


    I am no expert however have watched a few video on youtube about this.

    youtu.be/J19y7nGHM3c

    This video talks about using Abacus Elements Tile Backer Boards. Looks like a great board type to tile.

    rubberduckbathrooms.co.uk/abacus-elements-tile-backer-boards


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 hydrus21


    milehip wrote: »
    Tile backer board or cement board,
    open to correction on this

    Correct

    12mm tile backer board

    Hardie/ knauf in conjunction with a tanking kit.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭ hesker


    What products?

    Fibreglass tanking is one.

    Loads of membrane type systems. I installed a Kerdi membrane system made by Schluter systems in Germany. They do a wide range of accessories. I went for one of their hidden tiled drainage trays and under floor heating mat. Worked out fine but was a fair bit of work in it. Wasn’t that impressed with the heat mat. It works to take the sting out of the cold but doesn’t provide a nice warm surface.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭ Ginger83


    I need an insulated board on the external wall.

    Does the tile backer board go over this?


  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ milehip


    Ginger83 wrote: »
    I need an insulated board on the external wall.

    Does the tile backer board go over this?

    It could. Is there no cavity insulation?


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭ Ginger83


    milehip wrote: »
    It could. Is there no cavity insulation?

    Yes but not enough to comply.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 hydrus21


    Personally I would Dot & Dab the insulation (external insulation method)
    And likewise the cement board ( day 2 )
    Followed by some mechanical fixings ( day 3 )


  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ Patmwgs


    I have used 12mm hardi backer board 800x1200 on several jobs in the past, found it to be the strongest and best product out there. Just get a tanking kit and do all the corners with it.



Advertisement