Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What would a car dealership give me for this car?

Options
  • 27-06-2021 2:00pm

I bought my car from a small dealership two years ago for €2,700. It’s now valued at €2,300 (according to DoneDeal).

I am moving away and need to sell it quickly, I put an ad up on DoneDeal but I’ve only had one person interested, who was supposed to come see it today and didn’t show.

I rang the dealership I got it from who said they buy second hand cars so I was thinking of selling it back to them, but I’ve been told they will buy it for much less than if I sold it privately.

Some details about the car: Opel Corsa, 2009, 97,000 miles. Fully NCT’d, tax up this month, new tyres recently added.

How much do you think (roughly) a car dealership will offer me? I want to check here before I go down and try sell it with them in case they give me a terrible offer.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I bought my car from a small dealership two years ago for €2,700. It’s now valued at €2,300 (according to DoneDeal).

I am moving away and need to sell it quickly, I put an ad up on DoneDeal but I’ve only had one person interested, who was supposed to come see it today and not show.

I rang the dealership I got it from who said they buy second hand cars so I was thinking of selling it back to them, but I’ve been told they will buy it for much less than if I sold it privately.

Some details about the car: Opel Corsa, 2009, 97,000 miles. Fully NCT’d, tax up this month.

How much do you think (roughly) a car dealership will offer me? I want to check here before I go down and try sell it with them in case they give me a terrible offer.

Thanks for any advice.

They might give you 500 to 1000. He's right, they'll only buy it to make a profit, hence that's why they'll only offer you silly money.

delly wrote: »
    They might give you 500 to 1000. He's right, they'll only buy it to make a profit, hence that's why they'll only offer you silly money.

Wow, that’s extremely low, I wasn’t expecting that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭User1998

It’s probably only worth around €1,300 to €1,500 to a dealer. €500 is far too low

Enter the details here and see what they offer:

https://checkbook.checkventory.com/customer-self-appraisal?dealer=zucar

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

A car of that year has near zero value to a dealership. It could have been a trade in on a previous sale, so the profit of the original car was tied up in it when sold to you. For them to take it in and pay you cash, they take a much bigger risk, then have to prep it for sale and give a warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,153 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Care to post link to the ad up and we can give feedback? I can't see any 2009 Corsa on Donedeal with 97k miles/156k km for sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Dreamer money thinking that is worth 2300.

You could sit on it for 2 months and get 1500ish but you are in a hurry. So getting anyone to give you 1000 for it is about right. Regardless of miles, its still 12 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭User1998

Dreamer money thinking that is worth 2300.

You could sit on it for 2 months and get 1500ish but you are in a hurry. So getting anyone to give you 1000 for it is about right. Regardless of miles, its still 12 years old.

In fairness your a bit off the mark there. I just sold an 07 Corsa with 250,000km for €1,300 and I only had to wait a couple of weeks before it sold.

OP would get €2,000 for the car easy enough, but they need a quick sale so a private sale isn’t really an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭mk7r

User1998 wrote: »
    In fairness your a bit off the mark there. I just sold an 07 Corsa with 250,000km for €1,300 and I only had to wait a couple of weeks before it sold.

OP would get €2,000 for the car easy enough, but they need a quick sale so a private sale isn’t really an option.

If a car is priced right it will be gone in less than 24 hours, sometimes minutes in a private sale

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

If you need a quick sale the auction houses will sell it, might be about 200 of costs on a 1k sale but saves you the hassle.

Advertisement