Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

€22 million in fees claimed on single medical card

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

No other source is even mentioning this?
    No other source mentioned the Leo Leakage story when that first broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Ahh relax it's nothing to do with your medical card. I wouldn't trust an Irish charity to cut my grass. These so called "Charities" have been robbing the state blind for years.

If so, they must have followed the example of the bankers and the MNC's. But you probably don't want to talk about that, do you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

I don’t get over excited about people who need medical cards

There but for the grace of God go I

Fair play, I personally didn't need one until recent years and probably would have slightly looked down on those who did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

tdf7187 wrote: »
    If so, they must have followed the example of the bankers and the MNC's. But you probably don't want to talk about that, do you.

There was no mention of banks or MNC's here? If there was, why wouldn't I want to talk about that? :confused:

Idiot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Like others I never knew a generic medical card existed. So there are or were charities with these and it would reduce any direct costs for medical treatment or pharmaceutical supplies for the clients they were serving/treating.

Given how medical cards work it would only cover GP visits, A&E, reduced prescription charge, some optical and dental treatments.

I'd be auditing it regardless and try account for every penny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Get Real

Simple way to question the reputable source for this is to ask, can the claims they're making be ascertained?

Does a former board member of this charity have a private practice that this card is frequently used at? To the tune of millions a year?

Is it true that the next highest amount for the same time period used by a charity on a generic medical card is 7 times lower than this one?

Definitely something fishy if those things are true. Pure libel and very dangerous accusations to be making if they turn out to be false.

I'm always skeptical of any article or piece published, and the motives behind it, regardless of topic or area. But, if they're making statements like that, that end up verified, could be weight behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I work in homeless services and have been for about 13 or so years , a KPI of most residential services is to ensure each resident has a medical card of there own.
    Not as easy as you with particularly with someone living a chaotic, transient lifestyle but most or nearly all end up getting their own card.
    Who I work for currently has a house medical card , I seen it used twice in 10 years.

I also work in the area of homelessness and can concur. One of the first things we do is set people up with an individual medical card. I’ve never heard of a generic card so would be very interested to know what charity this refers to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭corner of hells

eviltwin wrote: »
    I also work in the area of homelessness and can concur. One of the first things we do is set people up with an individual medical card. I’ve never heard of a generic card so would be very interested to know what charity this refers to.

Calling it a generic card seems a bit odd , what we have is a medical card number , ive no idea where the physical card is , i know there a few going around.

Any im aware are most certainly not abused, at a guess id imagine they are used for very chaotic ,disenefranchised individuals not regularly accessing medical services , pharmacies etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,324 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

CoBo55 wrote: »
    , they've been robbing unsuspecting customers too, there were numerous DD's being taken from my father's account.

Strange how that's never come into the public domain, isn't it?

Advertisement