Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk: Off The Ball

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Says the guy hanging around an internet discussion thread about a show they don't listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I would recommend seeking some professional help if your love of something is driven by a dislike of some randomer on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Mr Burny

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Chucky Q

You seem a bit obsessive? Why do you feel the need to jump on this thread so obsessively?

Who is Andy Dunne?

They filled about 25 minutes of the show from about half 5 with Andy Dunne and Aisling O'Reilly? (aka defi-nightly)

Basically it was a recap of what happened in the whole Ireland match. It was almost like it was a training segment for Dunne and O'Reilly. It made no sense to go into such detail on what happened. "Jonny Sexton missed two kicks which were very poor for a player of his calibre"..."Garry Ringrose made a run on the outside and we were all thinking would he give it to Conway for the hat trick".

The whole segment was about 24 hours too late.

• Advertisement

What's obsessive is doing so when you either A, hate the show or B, don't listen to it.

Or both.

There's a lot positive about the show, I'm not going to leave this thread to any of the above, or make it easy for them to distract themselves from working on their own issues

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Andy ex-Leinster out half, a decent analyst. Aisling O'Reilly on rugby - no thanks, but she seems to be flavour of the month at the moment in terms of reporting gigs with Off The Ball. Hard to fill a Sunday show with fresh content when there's no Premier League on.

I didn't catch the full show, heard them on about Dublin/Kerry. Surely there was enough GAA action today that they could have easily filled the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Dan McDonnell was missed when discussing the new FAI master plan with Dion Fanning yesterday.

Saw him tweet earlier that he was going to be on tonight to discuss it 'and everything around it'.

Might be worth chasing up on Youtube.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,601 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Did they talk about Kurt Zouma and the cat?

I wish they’d just stick to what happens on the pitch. Leave that sort of thing to the WOKE (all caps) talk shows.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭deisedude

Why do you care if you didn't even listen to it?

At this stage everyone knows Off the Ball covers social issues with sport so I really cant understand why some of you still listen to it if you so obsessively hate it. There are millions of other sports shows and podcasts that you can listen to.

I think they said Zouma kicking the cat was an “incredibly important issue”. Keeping things in perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,363 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Just caught that, setting timer on radio. Giles comparing the cat abuse to ‘murdering a person’ analogy.

Guff it is.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Paterson Jerins

But that's not quite what was said.

John was asking the question, what would moyes do if the player murdered someone??

So you're talking guff. As per usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Paterson Jerins

Not sure Kenny Cunningham has a clue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭Dickie10

love otb a long time and they do an awful lot right but i find joe molloy a bit grating recently , hes gone very snowflake recently and always scrambling for the moral high ground. seems hes really fallen into middle age dad mode from fun and frolics late 20s laddish presnter that brought a lot of listeners.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Joe was never laddish. He always came across a lot older than his actual age

Was listening last Saturday and a commentator said it's a pity there wasn't a LOI game to watch, but that's the nature of Eunice.

John Duggan chimes in..."THAT'S CLIMATE CHANGE FOLKS"

Give it a rest ffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I can't actually listen to John Duggan. He's a terrible presenter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Do some of ye actually just listen to it to find stuff to pick a bone about? Pretty sad existence if so.

Here's a lesson for ye, the Late Late a few weeks ago when they had their eurovision special i knew I'd have no interest so i didn't watch it, saves you plenty of grief...

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭deise man

Did he ask people to text in their views on climate change. He must be on commission for that text line. Constantly on about it.

Does people being concerned about societal issues frighten you?

Welcome to Boards by the way, looks like you'll fit right in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭deisedude

Sport doesn't exist in a vacuum. Social issues and sport have always been intertwined and frankly to ignore that would just be fcuking weird.

I swear some of ye would just be happier if the called out scores like it was the shipping forecast

Things went downhill from the day Teletext stopped being broadcast. That was heaven for some. No having to listen to someone sound particularly happy, or sad, or whatever. No subliminal messaging or hidden agenda being communicated through an accent of a person who was definitely hired only to make a point.

Them were the days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

I like Kenny but he’s really over do-ing the ‘banter’ lately. The show with Meyler last week was a bit cringe..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I recently started following OTB on Twitter and only then realized that they ( in particular Get Gilroy) are on air all day every day. I noticed this as live videos of them keep popping up on my Twitter feed about the various topics they discuss at different times.

What was really strange to me is the tiny number of viewers there seems to be at any one time. I think 41 was the highest number I saw. Surely they can't be surviving on such tiny numbers? Are there other ways to listen/watch their all day OTBAM coverage? I assume there is as I can't imagine there are less than 100 people viewing at any one time.

I think they push the content on their social media platforms at the time it's being recorded even though it's primarily being recorded for the main show that evening, or the following morning. And so the small numbers looking at it at any given time probably isn't a major concern.

They must have a good portion of this automated because several times their twitter account will push the same tweet a number of times over a period of 24hours or so. Get's a bit annoying actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

There are many different degrees of liking or not liking something. For example, I don’t like Joe’s pious nature, I’d say he never broke a minor law in his life and he’d likely let you know that, but he’s a good presenter, asks good questions and is a good listen in general. John “Captain Planet” Duggan, and resident Covidian and PSA provider Maire Treasa Ni Cheallaigh, however, get turned off straight away by me because I know what I’m going to hear if I don’t. I simply won’t listen to either of them. Ger Gilroy - a little sanctimonious, yes, but he’s a good enough analyst and presenter such that the good mostly offsets the bad (for me). Temper that with the very nice guys on the football podcast, Paddy Andrews and James O’Donoghue, whose jolly in-banter is puke-inducing, so as much as I might like to share a pint with either, they can’t be taking up much of my listening time. You see, it’s not black and white. You can have reservations about the various shows and presenters and still listen to them, or have listened to them enough such that you can give an informed opinion of how much you might find them to be garbage.

Advertisement