Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M6 road surface

Options
  • 23-06-2021 8:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or it the M6 road surface not the best, up to the M17 turn junction anyway where i would turn off.

I have a slight vibration on my car, that you probably wouldn't even notice on any other road surface unless i told you about it. But on the M6 the vibration is very noticeable. Its not due to the extra speed as it doesn't be there on the M17 when going at similar speeds.

Anyone else notice this?

Comments

DuckSlice wrote: »
    Is it just me or it the M6 road surface not the best, up to the M17 turn junction anyway where i would turn off.

I have a slight vibration on my car, that you probably wouldn't even notice on any other road surface unless i told you about it. But on the M6 the vibration is very noticeable. Its not due to the extra speed as it doesn't be there on the M17 when going at similar speeds.

Anyone else notice this?

I'm not sure comparing the two is a fair comparison

M6 opened in 2009
    M17 opened in 2017

M6, particularly the section you are talking about, carries way more so there would be a lot more wear and tear so it stands to reason that there would be a difference in the surface

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Fair point, but I could compare it to any other older road with a good surface. This stretch seems particularly bad.

Its worse at 100kmh compared to the N17 between Tuam and Claregalway, which is a much older surface and probably has had similar traffic over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

Purely from memory as I don’t drive it very often, it has very short rapid undulations which will show up in a some vehicles.
    I have access to two cars, one of which I thought (subsequently dispelled) had developed a suspension fault the first time I used the M6, very noticeable vibration. The other car is ment to hide this stuff and it does.
    I will have to take more notice next time I get to run both on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Purely from memory as I don’t drive it very often, it has very short rapid undulations which will show up in a some vehicles.
    I have access to two cars, one of which I thought (subsequently dispelled) had developed a suspension fault the first time I used the M6, very noticeable vibration. The other car is ment to hide this stuff and it does.
    I will have to take more notice next time I get to run both on it.

Yea that's pretty much what I see, and it makes the slight vibration i have becomes very noticeable on this surface in particular. its nearly as if the wheels are completely out of balance, but mine have all been checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I get the slight vibration there too in my own car and it doesn't happen anywhere else I travel so it has to be down to the surface. I've asked a few friends that use that stretch & they get it too.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
Advertisement