Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Job Description question

• 22-06-2021 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭ I am me123

In a job advertisement is it advisible to apply for a job if you don't meet all the criteria listed in a job description?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭ LMHC

I am me123 wrote: »
    In a job advertisement is it advisible to apply for a job if you don't meet all the criteria listed in a job description?

It will say what is a requirement. Id imagine if there is several requirements unless you meet 3/4 of them it'll not apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭ Wanderer19

It depends on if its listed as 'essential' and how many things they're looking for, compared to what you offer. Worth a shot, they can only say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭ I am me123

Thanks all, saw an job advertised and I meet all reqùirements listed except for one. The requirements are not marked as essential in any requirement.
    Is it advisable to apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭ stargazer 68

Thanks all, saw an job advertised and I meet all reqùirements listed except for one. The requirements are not marked as essential in any requirement.

Worth a shot. We have mandatory requirements and desirable. If you don't meet the mandatory you don't get an interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭ true-or-false

Definitely!

If the requirement is a skill or experience, I'd say that makes the role more attractive, because you know immediately that it's a role that will help you develop.

Instead of ticking of the requirements as a yes/no, I'd ask myself 'can I learn this?'/'does this overwhelm me?'. The most important requirements are probably at the top of the list, or you can apply a bit of common sense to figure out just how important each requirement is. Either way, if the missing requirement is truly an issue, they simply wont ask you to interview - you've nothing to lose.

If the requirement is a specific qualification, that's a slightly different story, and probably more rigid. Again though, nothing to lose by applying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 DarceyEllie

Go for it. I was called for an interview recently and i clearly didn't have one of the desirable requirements. I didn't proceed with the interview in the end as something else had come my way.

Advertisement