Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

First olympic transgender athlete to compete at Tokyo 2020 **MOD NOTE IN OP**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Well, this thread is going exactly as I suspected it to go.

I miss decent old boards.ie

Great input, you’re really improving the quality of the thread you’re giving out about.

Do you want everyone cheering for the biological male taking the spot of a biological female in a female event in the Olympics??

Would that be more like “decent old boards.ie”??

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭KeepItLight

Fandymo wrote: »
    You cannot change your chromosomes, they are XX or XY and that’s it, no matter how much you wish/feel/believe.
    Not to point out the obvious, but isn't the fact that we're at this stage proof that what's real is irrelevant?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭gladerunner

Do you think if she was a born woman, she would understand how hurtful this is to her competitors and maybe not take part.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

ebbsy wrote: »
    I think its not fair, and I think its bull****.

Why don't they have their own Olympics ?

Thats a good point. A trans-games.

This is not the first olympic transgender. Stanislawa Walasiewicz won gold for Poland in 1932.

It was not discovered that she was male until after her death, during the autopsy. Although looking at pictures of her, it looks pretty obvious.

Stanis%C5%82awa_Walasiewicz_1938.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Change all sports to XX and XY chromosome groupings. Then we are back to fair competition.

Just make all sports mixed.

Equality achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

You cannot change your chromosomes, they are XX or XY and that’s it, no matter how much you wish/feel/believe.
    Great input, you’re really improving the quality of the thread you’re giving out about.

Do you want everyone cheering for the biological male taking the spot of a biological female in a female event in the Olympics??

Would that be more like “decent old boards.ie”??

Mod

Great - you have made up your mind then. Dont post in this thread again. Adversarial, discussion quashing ****e has no place in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Christy42 wrote: »
    I could have predicted most of it but LGBTQ causes being Iranian/Chinese conspiracy was a new one on me!

From the thread I can would presume no one born with female genitalia will win a medal.

Would you rather the female medal winner had a penis??? He/she has already won a good few medals competing as a women denying women of gold medals already . Do you think someone who was a man till the age of 35 should be allowed compete with womens competitions ???

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

An absolute joke of a decision! :mad:

An absolute travesty to 'real' female athletes who have worked very hard

to garner their place at the games!

Mod

Dont post in this thread again

Bambi wrote: »
    Just make all sports mixed.

Equality achieved.

So you just want men's sport then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

So you just want men's sport then

Is there currently any real alternative .

Other than having specific trans sports for transpersons , rugby , football , athletics ,
    Imagine the premier League or the six Nations saying they would allow women to play against men ,there would be outrage over it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭griffin100

I had an interesting conversation with my 16 year old son last night about this. He, like most of his peers, is very accepting of diversity. He has friends who are gay, friends from non Irish backgrounds and friends of colour.

However he's really struggling with this. He's an ex competitive swimmer and as he said to me last night if he were a woman his swim times would have put him into the elite female category rather than the mid level male swimmer he was, but that if he did identify and compete as a women that that would be unfair on other women.

Similarly in GAA his and his mates build and physique puts them into a different position to female players of the same age, especially as they lift weights and start to put muscle on. As a parent of 3 GAA playing daughters I wouldn't like to see someone with my sons physique slamming into one of daughters on the pitch.

It's a minefield for many sports.

I think the only fair solution is to ban all sports entirely, at all levels. Then we can all spend more quality time on the internet, as God herself intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭Christy42

There is a strong theory that Iran are pushing the likes Trans stuff and LGB causes through their online bots.

Look at it from their side. They believe fully in their heart of hearts that Transgenderism, and LGB rights will bring down any society. Post anything on twitter that is Pro Trans or LGB and you'll get a zillion likes. Then look into the profiles and they are all dummy accounts.

Russia are at this stuff too. It's new level warfare. Trying to mess up nations by creating divisions within. And they are doing am excellent job of it.
    Gatling wrote: »
    Is there currently any real alternative .

Other than having specific trans sports for transpersons , rugby , football , athletics ,
    Imagine the premier League or the six Nations saying they would allow women to play against men ,there would be outrage over it

I mean maybe we don't need to entirely revisit how we look at sports over a few people? We have had transgender athletes for a while and yet there is a total of 1?!? athletes at the biggest sporting comp going.

Ah apparently I missed Russia (in one of the quoted posts, not you) in the list of those promoting LGBT agenda to bring down society. Given we have reached the level of person competes in sporting competition in a sport without much money in it. I feel like they are a little bit away from their goal.

I mean there is probably a discussion to be had on whether it gives an advantage but when we have someone asking if there is any real alternative to just throwing everyone into the same division regardless of gender and more talking about how lgbt agendas are a foreign plot to overthrow the west I feel like we can safely say that debate isn't going to happen reasonably here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

It's clearly not fair as the athlete developed bone and muscle mass as a man with higher Testosterone when growing up, and that cannot be undone. I understand now that she is undergoing Testosterone therapy to reduce the amount of testosterone to levels equivalent to the other competitors, but the damage is already done in these cases.

It's a hard one to deal with, maybe there should be a separate Transgender category at the Olympics or something to level the playing field, who knows, but its certainly not fair on natural born women to have to compete against Transgender athletes, some sports highlight this worse than others, pure strength events like Weight Lifting, Wrestling etc. are more impacted than other more skill based events.

griffin100 wrote: »
    I had an interesting conversation with my 16 year old son last night about this. He, like most of his peers, is very accepting of diversity. He has friends who are gay, friends from non Irish backgrounds and friends of colour.

However he's really struggling with this. He's an ex competitive swimmer and as he said to me last night if he were a woman his swim times would have put him into the elite female category rather than the mid level male swimmer he was, but that if he did identify and compete as a women that that would be unfair on other women.

Similarly in GAA his and his mates build and physique puts them into a different position to female players of the same age, especially as they lift weights and start to put muscle on. As a parent of 3 GAA playing daughters I wouldn't like to see someone with my sons physique slamming into one of daughters on the pitch.

It's a minefield for many sports.

The crazy thing is all your son would have to do is take testosterone blockers for a year and he'd be classified as a female and he could clean up In the female division . Look at how many males many being teens can beat the women's records. Who ever think trans women should be competing with females needs to get their head examined. If you look at the tables in the link , even the boys are beating the women's records fairly comfortably.

https://law.duke.edu/sports/sex-sport/comparative-athletic-performance/

If you know sport, you know this beyond a reasonable doubt: there is an average 10-12% performance gap between elite males and elite females. The gap is smaller between elite females and non-elite males, but it’s still insurmountable and that’s ultimately what matters. Translating these statistics into real world results, we see, for example, that:

Just in the single year 2017, Olympic, World, and U.S. Champion Tori Bowie's 100 meters lifetime best of 10.78 was beaten 15,000 times by men and boys. (Yes, that’s the right number of zeros.)

The same is true of Olympic, World, and U.S. Champion Allyson Felix’s 400 meters lifetime best of 49.26. Just in the single year 2017, men and boys around the world outperformed her more than 15,000

• Registered Users Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭Homelander

I suspect if she doesn't win a medal as well it'll be "look, being trans doesn't mean you're displacing anyone or unfairly competing".

We are talking about a person who is 43 - almost two decades older than the peak age for the sport - and after transitioning can compete with the best in the world.

She's also far, far bigger and heavier than the other competitors, putting aside the obvious physical advantages from having been a man who went through puberty, regardless of the current test levels.

It's a crazy decision and I cannot see how anyone would support it in the name of inclusion. Inclusion shouldn't be at the considerable displacement and exclusion of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

Society has decided that transgender people are entitled to equality and the right to gender self identification.

If this is what society has decided how can the sports communities then differentiate. The fact it leads to
    inequalities for other competitors is just a byproduct of granting transgender equality

I can think of other issues apart from sports that are impacted, but thats what society (led by the leftist media) has
    deemed to be the way we now live our lives

I can see the lawsuits rolling in if transgender athletes are excluded from funding and competition

Can't wait to see what happens when this starts happening for sports people actually care about e.g. women's tennis, golf etc. 300 yard drives, 165 mph serves etc.

Martina Navratalova's tennis coach, Renée Richards, is a transwoman who played tennis professionally in women's competitions in the 70s. In her mid-to-late forties, while she played professionally alongside young women in their twenties in peak physical condition, her highest rank was 20th.

t.ly/pZuj

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭conorhal

wpd wrote: »
    Society has decided that transgender people are entitled to equality and the right to gender self identification.

If this is what society has decided how can the sports communities then differentiate. The fact it leads to
    inequalities for other competitors is just a byproduct of granting transgender equality

I can think of other issues apart from sports that are impacted, but thats what society (led by the leftist media) has
    deemed to be the way we now live our lives

I can see the lawsuits rolling in if transgender athletes are excluded from funding and competition

Did society decide this? I don't remember a vote on it. It seems to me that governments have decided to acquiesce to the demands of a bunch of Qunago's and supranational bodies that have decided to impose this on society and then ensured that anybody that disagrees can fear for their liberty, job and rights by speaking against it.

How far do you imagine this nonsense would get if they actually asked people what they really thought?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I suspect rules will change again with more research and so on. However she is in there in accordance to therules. The same as some national football teams benefit by including players born outside their country. ;)

Anyway it's weight lifting. It will be probably won by someone who took more male hormones than a man can produce in a lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Maybe a better solution is to just have 'sport' and not segregate based on sex.

Well, this thread is going exactly as I suspected it to go.

I miss decent old boards.ie
    But besides seeing transphobia when it's not intended, do you not understand why women consider this an unfair development?

FTA69 wrote: »
    The sad thing is that transgenderism is a real thing and has existed since time immemorial. People with gender dysmorphia aren't chancers or sickos etc, it’s the way they are and like any group of people they want to get on in life for the most part. I’m perfectly happy accepting that, referring to people how they want to be called and all that. No problem. I imaging transitioning is a very difficult thing to do that the vast majority of people do not do lightly.

There is however, a big jump from the above to, “transwomen are women and there’s no debate”. It raises the question what exactly is a woman? Is it just something you can identify as handily enough? By that logic can someone like Rachel Dolezal identify as black? Arguably race is far more of a social construct than something like gender is. I don’t see the difference to be honest. Not identifying with gender is an acceptable thing; something also done by camp men and butch lesbians to a large extent. There’s a big difference between that and denying immutable biological reality.

To say that being a woman is only something you can identify into or out of with a pronoun is absurdism in the extreme to be honest.
    Exactly. Calling these objections transphobia is despicable. So unfair on women. And there's no question as to who a woman is.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

silverharp wrote: »
    Weight is only part of it, a man and a woman who weighted the same would still have different potentials like for like, men have a different skeletal structure, centre of gravity, different ratios of upper body strength , larger lung capacity and many more, you couldnt come up with a way to nerf a dude so they could compete fairly with a woman.
    At least it will make the Olympics interesting allbeit in the sht show sense

Absolutely. I remember as an 18 year old, being pinned down by my friend's 14 year old brother. I really struggled to get him off me. We were a similar size but even at that age, he was way, way stronger than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Yes well I remember when at the Munich Olympics the East German female swimmers looked like your Irish Nationial Rugby crew. If the whole of the Russian Olympic team can be set on a shelf for an undetermined fraction taking performance enhancers, then yes, the trans athlete also has a past to be reviewed, albeit, a masculine one.

One of the nonsensical factors is that the athlete in question need be somewhat degraded with the use of hormones or other drugs to compete equally. This goes against all that has characterized competitive sports in the modern era, where everything is put in place to gain an advantage, at all costs. It's a nice problem to ponder, but I'm glad I am not dealing with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

silverharp wrote: »
    thats the joke... , but there Blue checkmarks out there that you would need to convince

https://twitter.com/TitaniaMcGrath/status/1403303415162212353

Charlotte Clymer. LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

conorhal wrote: »
    Did society decide this? I don't remember a vote on it. It seems to me that governments have decided to acquiesce to the demands of a bunch of Qunago's and supranational bodies that have decided to impose this on society and then ensured that anybody that disagrees can fear for their liberty, job and rights by speaking against it.

How far do you imagine this nonsense would get if they actually asked people what they really thought?

Yes i agree with your sentiment above entirely, hard to put the genie back in the bottle now though

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

At age 15 or 16, my GAA team played the All Ireland Lady club champions in a friendly. Half their team played for their county and were perennial winners.

We were a decent underage team with a couple of players who'd be in and around the under age Cork squads, but likely nobody who'd be close to making the senior team.

Game was hyped up as it was a local event, and everyone thought the underage lads were gonna get a hammering. We beat them by about 35 points, and had to take our foot off the gas as the physicality mismatch was just unreal. It was actually a little awkward by the end, especially when you consider how competitive the women were and how used to winning they were.

They had better technique, but it really counts for nothing when up against lads who've just gone through puberty, unfortunately.

This whole thing is mental to me, and I'm really saddened that joy of sport and competition could be absolutely ruined for women if we continue to allow this to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

BluePlanet wrote: »
    Maybe a better solution is to just have 'sport' and not segregate based on sex.

Then women, the old fashioned xx kind, will barely win anything and will risk becoming severely injured in many sports in the process. Unless that's what you want of course?

Why should the solution to this be to do away with hard won fairness for women?

Advertisement