Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Old Royal Tara Tea Sets

Options
  • 21-06-2021 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering if there's any kind of market for old Royal Tara tea sets and if so, where? Or would a car boot sale be my best option?

Complete 6 person sets, sugar bowl, jug, etc, perfect condition.
    One set has a gold rim and pink flower but I cannot find a match online. This set belonged to my husband's grandmother so probably from the 1950's (ish).
    The second set is a paisley pattern (so probably a bit after the 50's), quite nice actually, would keep it only I tend to break plates and cups quite easily.

Any advice welcome.

Comments

Unless there’s something rare about the sets, like limited edition or something, unlikely their worth much. Tea rooms are popular throughout the country and those businesses might offer you a few quid for them. Check adverts and donedeal. Also look at a few antique shops to get an idea of what they’re charging.
    I’m pretty sure I have a 6 piece royal Tara tea set at the family home as you describe above and yes the gold trim and flower is lovely- late 50s early 60s I think.

A vintage set here, not particularly nice looking for 65- I think yours/ours would command more than that.
    https://www.adverts.ie/memorabilia/21-piece-royal-tara-bone-china-tea-set/23658897

Things like Art Deco style tea sets command high money as they’re timeless and always look well and there’s a big collectors market out there.

I see a full 28 piece set (more modern) Royal Tara on DoneDeal - they’re asking 165- while a great set and many additional pieces like milk jug tea pots etc I just don’t think the market will pay that much- such a shame really but tastes have changed considerably- dinner plates are now much larger, less fussy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

Thanks for the reply. As you said, it's a shame cos they really are beautiful but that doesn't mean anyone actually wants them. I'll keep an eye out.
    Here's a couple of pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Diddley Squat

The current generation are now inheriting their parents or grand parents tea sets from the cabinet.

Tonnes of this type of stuff around and nobody to buy it. The royal tara wares have some quality but it is too old fashioned for tastes today.

Having a tea set in a living-room display cabinet is nearly a thing of the past. I'd say car-boot or adverts

Thanks for your reply. They don't seem to go on adverts either. Think we'll put them up for a week and if they don't go then we'll donate them to a charity shop.

Might keep the paisley one, I kinda like it.

Photo links got lost in the "upgrade"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,742 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Agree. Heaps of 'good' china were bought; usually as wedding presents, rarely used and hoarded in glass cabinets in nearly every home in the country.

I think I've got a set that's similar if not identical to the second pic. Probably complete too as I doubt it was brought out and used more than a handful of times.

Not to mention the crystal...I think there are 5 carafes in the cabinet and the in laws didn't even drink.

Advertisement