Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ballyhoura Mountains

• 19-06-2021 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭

I know this isn't a hiking forum but its about the Ballyhouras and I know a lot of people mountain bike there.. so, I was hiking in The Ballyhoura Mts today - had not been before - wow - was blown away - the topography and flora - the space and general peace and quiet.. and there was almost no one there.. which was great - but have to ask, why so? On a 4 hr hike we only met 3 other people.. and just a few mountain bikers around the base.. on a Sat in June?? :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I had a similar thought a while back, had the whole place to myself even though it was scorching and restrictions had just eased. Nice enough place but a bit bland, more hills than mountains, too much forestry not enough native trees, no real rivers/lakes or sea views. I think if you're coming from Limerick or Cork you can be in Kilarney or Kerry or West Cork for the same effort which explains the low numbers. Must bring the MTB up there some day though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I ran there once and enjoyed the views, but they're not huge from recollection? So as said above you've Kerry, the Galtees, Knockmealdowns not a million miles away

I have to say though I think inland is the value in Ireland, particularly in staycation times, much fewer people go, less pressure on accommodation or services, people less jaded by tourism. Plus your expectations are probably lower so you're really happy when you find somewhere unexpectedly beautiful. Everyone flocks to the coast for August, mainly Galway and Kerry, but the weather is usually crap and seaside depressing. Hit somewhere less well known and you're much happier, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭sporina

Thargor wrote: »
    I had a similar thought a while back, had the whole place to myself even though it was scorching and restrictions had just eased. Nice enough place but a bit bland, more hills than mountains, too much forestry not enough native trees, no real rivers/lakes or sea views. I think if you're coming from Limerick or Cork you can be in Kilarney or Kerry or West Cork for the same effort which explains the low numbers. Must bring the MTB up there some day though.

there was also a lot of sport on yday - mayb that kept people in? I dunno..

in any event, I guess it depends on your perspective.. I am an avid hiker so I know all the mt ranges quiet well - esp in Cork, Kerry, Waterford, Galway etc - but had never been to the Ballyhouras .. so it was new to me.. and just shows.. you don't always have to climb high to find beauty.. I love all things physical geography so was intrigued by the terrain.. esp the mountain bog.. the bog cotton - and the erratic rocks.. etc.. fab..
    a148pro wrote: »
    I ran there once and enjoyed the views, but they're not huge from recollection? So as said above you've Kerry, the Galtees, Knockmealdowns not a million miles away

I have to say though I think inland is the value in Ireland, particularly in staycation times, much fewer people go, less pressure on accommodation or services, people less jaded by tourism. Plus your expectations are probably lower so you're really happy when you find somewhere unexpectedly beautiful. Everyone flocks to the coast for August, mainly Galway and Kerry, but the weather is usually crap and seaside depressing. Hit somewhere less well known and you're much happier, imo.

no not huge - but as you said - my expectations wer low, there was practically NO ONE else there, and I had not been there before it was intriguing for me.. esp the terrain.. I was on the reeks last July and at 9.30am there was no space left in Cronin's yard! One of the things I loved most about yday was the lack of people - but I was just wondering why that was the case

Advertisement