Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Rung threads on pedal- New crank?

• 19-06-2021 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭ TheAnalyst_

Ok I'm an idiot and got too excited with my bike a couple of years ago. I put on one of the pedals wrong but managed to get it in the right way but it was never sat perfectly and I always worried about having to change it.

I finally bit the bullet and got some new flats (gravel type bike). It seemed to go in ok but after 2 minutes cycling it was done. What options do I have?

Do I have to buy an entirely new crankset? This is about 150 euro for a direct replacement.
    THanks guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭ Daroxtar

Mechanic might be able to tap and re thread it. 5 minute job if he thinks its doable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭ Type 17

If it's the LH crank, a replacement might be cheap enough (is it square taper or something fancier?).

If it's the RH crank, it'll be more expensive, but you might be able to snag a secondhand crank spider (less rings).

Make sure you get the same crank-length if you're only buying one side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭ TheAnalyst_

Trouble is I can't seem to find seperate side cranks and it is the left. It's a praxis set.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ gn3dr

You won;t be able to re-thread as suggested above. You might be able to get a helicoil insert (or threadsert or similar brand) put in. The left hand crank is the left handed thread for the pedal though so I'm not sure if a lot of places would have lh helicoils in stock.
    There a repair kit here but it would be cheaper for you to replace teh crank I think
    https://www.alltricks.com/F-11929-outillage/P-1898576-var_pe_04700_crank_repair_kit?gclid=CjwKCAjwzruGBhBAEiwAUqMR8MEYUILqGUFKT8QC0Y7p5-haiDGrS3z0BNIKESuRgDqDaheitn_QLBoCRI0QAvD_BwE

• Registered Users Posts: 6,627 ✭✭✭ cletus

Cramcycle on here had a similar issue sorted by The Bike Rack bike shop, depending where you are located, OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭ TheAnalyst_

I’ll try a few shops near me and get their opinions. Hard to trust half them tbh.

Advertisement