Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Return to office concerns

• 17-06-2021 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi All,

I would like some advice and really not sure where to turn but hoping I can get the ball rolling here.

My wife is Immunocompromised and is about to receive her 2nd jab while I have yet to receive my first. Her condition is chronic but can be quite severe at times. I’ve read that even fully vaccinated, the vaccine won’t be 100% affective against Covid. We’ve laid low for the duration of lockdown and only leave house when necessary, taking every precaution and have been working from home like a lot of people.

I’m wondering now that society is starting to return to normal and September is most likely a realistic date I will be requested to return to the office, should I ask to remain working from Home til at least eg January as there will be a clearer picture of the impact of the vaccination and if there will be any further risks identified. And If I ask, do I have a valid case?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

There's no harm in asking, but there is also no requirement for your employer to agree either. By the time you might have to go back to the office, both you and your wife will be fully vaccinated so it will be difficult to argue a case.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 nate1984

There's no harm in asking, but there is also no requirement for your employer to agree either. By the time you might have to go back to the office, both you and your wife will be fully vaccinated so it will be difficult to argue a case.

True, but as my wife is immunocompromised even if We’re both vaccinated I can still carry the disease and infect her if I catch it. She is not 100% immune

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

nate1984 wrote: »
    True, but as my wife is immunocompromised even if We’re both vaccinated I can still carry the disease and infect her if I catch it. She is not 100% immune

That's true but unfortunately that is the situation we will be left with now forever, like we have with the common cold and other illnesses, or the flu etc. The virus will never be eradicated, we just need to live with it but with vaccination it stops most people getting moderately or very sick with it. Nobody is really 100% immune from anything in life and there are risks of catching lots of things or having accidents!

How do you think things would be better in January for example? If you think about it logically, once you are both vaccinated that's as good as it gets really in terms of protection. There is nothing really to "wait" for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

I don't want to sound unsympathetic but if both yourself and your wife are fully vaccinated the chance of catching C-19 are tiny. You can never totally remove risk - Covid will be with us for years to come in the same way as flu. By all means ask but if your employer is keen to get people back to the office they may not see yours as a reasonable request.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

nate1984 wrote: »

How long to do expect to stay home? You have to return to life sometime. I’ve a person at home who is high risk and I’ve been at work throughout the pandemic. I understand your concern but take precautions and you will be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

Definitely ask if you have concerns, but as others have said, depends on goodwill of your employer. I do think that you will be more protected as time goes on and hopefully the amount of infections in the general population declines. Also take into account the work environment, and what precautions will continue to be taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

You should ask your employer. If she’s on immuno suppressants I know that the jab may not be effective as the antibody production is poor. Perhaps a letter from her doctor is also good to have to confirm her higher risk status. Your employer doesn’t have to facilitate your request, but at the least they should be able to ensure that you have a proper setup in place whilst you are in the office. I know it’s a worry, but it is something that we all have to accept the risks of unfortunately, but with every jab the amount of virus circulating is reducing and thus reducing the risks to everyone.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Is the risk of getting Covid when you're both vaccinated any greater than driving the car to to the shops, or crossing the road?

Ask if course, but at some stage you need to decide how much you want to limit yourself. You could both possibly get new remote jobs. Order everything only. Exercise at home, and never meet people. But do you want to?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,191 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

50 years after I started work, I have never been a fan of sharing personal family info with any employer.

The function of HR depts is not to care about the employees, but to do whats best for the firm so they will use any such info for what's best for them, not for you, so by all means ask to continue to work from home but I would NOT be saying the real why.
    MarkR wrote: »
    Is the risk of getting vivid when you're both vaccinated any greater than driving the car to to the shops, or crossing the road?
    Surprised that a mod would display such lack of empathy with out any supporting data

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Surprised that a mod would display such lack of empathy with out any supporting data

But he's right though - Tony Holohan said yesterday that Covid numbers have dropped to literally nothing in the vaccinated population.

Once everybody has been offered a vaccine, people are going to need to start leading a normal life if they choose - Covid will be around forever in some miniscule form, but if enough people are vaccinated then the risk is very low - and even if you do catch it, you probably won't die from it.

The point the mod is making (I guess), is that there will always be a risk of catching covid, but it'll be similar to the risk of being in a car accident. Unless the OP wants to live under a rock, this is the risk he'll just have to take.

OP - I'd say if your employer continues to allow you to WFH until you've both been vaccinated, I think that is reasonable stance. You could always get a fully remote job.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

50 years after I started work, I have never been a fan of sharing personal family info with any employer.

The function of HR depts is not to care about the employees, but to do whats best for the firm so they will use any such info for what's best for them, not for you, so by all means ask to continue to work from home but I would NOT be saying the real why.

I'm not a mod in Work & Jobs. I don't believe my question shows a lack of empathy. It was a genuine question.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 nate1984

But he's right though - Tony Holohan said yesterday that Covid numbers have dropped to literally nothing in the vaccinated population.

Once everybody has been offered a vaccine, people are going to need to start leading a normal life if they choose - Covid will be around forever in some miniscule form, but if enough people are vaccinated then the risk is very low - and even if you do catch it, you probably won't die from it.

The point the mod is making (I guess), is that there will always be a risk of catching covid, but it'll be similar to the risk of being in a car accident. Unless the OP wants to live under a rock, this is the risk he'll just have to take.

OP - I'd say if your employer continues to allow you to WFH until you've both been vaccinated, I think that is reasonable stance. You could always get a fully remote job.

Thanks for ALL the responses, they’re much appreciated and I understand everyone’s viewpoint. Just to clarify I’m accepting of the fact that I WILL be back in the office eventually and have no problem with that.

My concern first and always is my wife. My explanation of her condition is very top level and the specifics are not important to this conversation with the exception that she is extremely high risk. Her condition has caused immense heartache for us these last few years and that was living life pre-pandemic.

The only thing I want to explore is to see how the return to work goes for others first before I return just to take the extra care and ensure there is no further suffering on my wife’s part.

Advertisement