Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lake Boat In Big Wind

• 17-06-2021 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Has anyone any advice on controlling a lake boat in big winds, have a 17ft but when wind is over 20kph and caught side on it can get hairy, if carrying someone it is fine but what advice would people have on a big lough in high winds especially safety wise, TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

doogie! wrote: »
    Has anyone any advice on controlling a lake boat in big winds, have a 17ft but when wind is over 20kph and caught side on it can get hairy, if carrying someone it is fine but what advice would people have on a big lough in high winds especially safety wise, TIA

Firstly, get a bigger boat! The most common size you’ll see is 19ft and for good reason.

If you’re on your own it’s a good idea to add weight to the bow, I have a couple of 5 gallon drums I fill with water and place at the front of the boat.

Don’t let the boat the side on, motor into the wind until you’re closer to the lee shore and it’s a bit less bumpy before you turn side on.

Wear a life jacket with a crotch strap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

OP, What lake do you fish? I've been told a 17 foot boat is fine for Ree, but you need a 19 on Corrib. Something to do with the frequency of the waves. If you are in a big wave, don't take the waves side on, drive into them, you may have to "zig zag" to get to where you are going. What horse power do you have behind it?

On days like this, I absolutely hate lake boats, as all the water gets pegged onto you at the back of the boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

OP, What lake do you fish? I've been told a 17 foot boat is fine for Ree, but you need a 19 on Corrib. Something to do with the frequency of the waves. If you are in a big wave, don't take the waves side on, drive into them, you may have to "zig zag" to get to where you are going. What horse power do you have behind it?

On days like this, I absolutely hate lake boats, as all the water gets pegged onto you at the back of the boat.

Yeah I'd say a 19 on corrib is correct.
    I have also heard the same regarding the frequency of the waves.

Your last point is one of the reasons I am moving away from lake boats.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

What other options are there? I've a lake boat and a pike boat and they dont really overlap in terms of function

viper123 wrote: »
    What other options are there? I've a lake boat and a pike boat and they dont really overlap in terms of function

I am going for either an Orkney or a warrior.

What is your "pike boat"?

• Advertisement

I am going for either an Orkney or a warrior.

What is your "pike boat"?

A US bass style boat with casting deck. Orkney or Warrier depends on the type of fishing you intent doing they're pretty limited for fly fishing or casting

A US bass style boat with casting deck. Orkney or Warrier depends on the type of fishing you intent doing they're pretty limited for fly fishing or casting

Ah I'd say thats a nice boat.
    Yes I am mainly a predator angler, no fly fishing done.

I have been fishing all my life and still have not landed a 20lb pike.
    It needs to be done.

Ah I'd say thats a nice boat.
    Yes I am mainly a predator angler, no fly fishing done.

I have been fishing all my life and still have not landed a 20lb pike.
    It needs to be done.

All those boats will get you on if you get into the right spot :) where do you fish normally?

All those boats will get you on if you get into the right spot :) where do you fish normally?

Fished lough Ree and the Shannon all my life.
    I intend on doing some exploring on the river suck, as I live near to it now.

I haven't owned a boat in 6 years, and want to go exploring further afield.

I'd love a warrior but they seem to be that bit more pricy than say an irkney 520, but the orkney will be a slightly slower boat.

I don't want another lake boat, I don't think they work well for pike fishing, the layout is not really suite to it imo.

Any way, sorry to drag the OP off topic.

Fished lough Ree and the Shannon all my life.
    I intend on doing some exploring on the river suck, as I live near to it now.

I haven't owned a boat in 6 years, and want to go exploring further afield.

I'd love a warrior but they seem to be that bit more pricy than say an irkney 520, but the orkney will be a slightly slower boat.

I don't want another lake boat, I don't think they work well for pike fishing, the layout is not really suite to it imo.

Any way, sorry to drag the OP off topic.

i dont want to drag any more off topic either so PM sent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭doogie!

Thanks for reply's lads, i have a 17ft sheelin so its a small boat and limited experience combined make it hairy enough if out on the lake solo,

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Doe Tiden

I always had a 19ft sheelin a while back I got the loan of a 17ft on the corrib it’s a different boat completely IMO wouldn’t live to be out when it gets “blowey”

• Registered Users Posts: 40 topofthewind

Posted in wrong thread, mods please delete

Advertisement