Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bubbling Expanding Growing Slurry.

• 16-06-2021 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,940 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else have this phenomenon?

Is it a regular occurrence now after you agitate the tank?

Happened today here.
    The tank had a foot of freespace below the slats after it was agitated last week.

Today it's like expanding foam.

20210616-153358.jpg

20210616-153828.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

The exact opposite usually happens me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,065 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Did you use an additive in the tank. It looks like bacterial activity possibly due to warmer weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,940 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Base price wrote: »
    Did you use an additive in the tank. It looks like bacterial activity possibly due to warmer weather.

I did.

Possibly yeast in the mix too.

First time for this to happen here.
    I've read reports of it happening elsewhere.

Bubbling away a little before agitation then after it just started to rise and today it went mad altogether. Bubbling and when the agitation cover was lifted it just bubbled and pushed up and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Silage effluent sends gas going for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 11,065 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Jjameson wrote: »
    Silage effluent sends gas going for some reason
    Would it be due to the sugars in the effluent feeding the microbes in the slurry?

• Advertisement

Base price wrote: »
    Would it be due to the sugars in the effluent feeding the microbes in the slurry?

There was molasses went into this before agitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Had similar this week but the tank was half empty. Only thing different was that the silage effluent from the pit went in. Kept fooling me as to what slurry was left in the tank when emptying. No additive or molasses in the pit silage

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

There was molasses went into this before agitation.

Why did you put in the molasses?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Thats a Golgothan

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Thats a Golgothan

Unlikely

• Advertisement

Bullocks wrote: »
    Why did you put in the molasses?

To put a bit of extra life into it. (Seriously)

I had it in the yard and I had some bags of actiglene so I broke the crust and poured in a few buckets and put the powder then on top before the agitator came.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

Had similar this week but the tank was half empty. Only thing different was that the silage effluent from the pit went in. Kept fooling me as to what slurry was left in the tank when emptying. No additive or molasses in the pit silage

I thought it was a wast of time adding a slurry enhanser if effluent was in the same tank?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Agitating would have introduced air also so the combination of air and sugar could kickstart a lot of microbial growth.

Some micro-organisms can produce a lot of gas, E. coli for example is one which is guaranteed to be plentiful in slurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Sounds like you have a good CV19 sourdough starter going. Bottle it and go over to the hipsters forum and offer for sale! They will arrive in their droves to collect. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭alps

Going to cost a lot more now to spread...all that extra volume..

Advertisement