Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Electric Car that can fit 3 childrens car seats

• 15-06-2021 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hi all, have a PHEV outlander for past 2 years and love it. Im the perfect distance commute everyday to pretty much run on electricity only. Has allowed me to convince the other half that when we upgrade the second car it should be all electric. Once she's back working from the office it will make financial sense to upgrade our i30 to electric as she has a long commute and fuel bills are high so will probably be looking at an upgrade in the next year or so.

The main requirements would be enough range so she could get her daily commute done only charging at home so 120km minimum in any weather conditions, but it also needs to have room for one booster seat and 2 full car seats in the back.

From a quick look around I think the Tesla Model S is the only real option at present? Or can the Niro or ID4 take 3 car seats?

All options welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭fits

I'd suggest looking at rear facing group on facebook. There seems to be one post where a Britax TWE, Axkid minikid, Joie Juva on belted Joie i-base fitted into a niro. All rear facing.

So should be possible with a HBB but probably best to bring them along and check. Not sure about ID4

• Registered Users Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭zg3409

Very much depends on actual car seats as suggested trial fit them. Most cars only have 2 isofix points so the booster would be rear middle. Even physically getting in and out and getting belt on may be a challenge .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

model x 6/7 seater option you should have no problems :) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭insular1

Laviski wrote: »

If I could some how swing a 60k trade in value for the i30 I might consider it. 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭markpb

Laviski wrote: »

Can confirm. I have three kids and a 6 seat Model X. Driving around with an empty isofix seat just seemed like a waste to me so I made a fourth child just to put in it. Who’s laughing now….. oh!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

What's the finance outstanding on the i30? In terms of cost benefit analysis.

Lantus wrote: »
    What's the finance outstanding on the i30? In terms of cost benefit analysis.

No finance on it. It's 10 years old this year and owes me nothing. Wouldn't even bother changing it except need something bigger for the kids and electric makes sense financially with my wife's mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

insular1 wrote: »
    No finance on it. It's 10 years old this year and owes me nothing. Wouldn't even bother changing it except need something bigger for the kids and electric makes sense financially with my wife's mileage.

So you are looking at circa 40k for a large ev that can take 3 seats like an id4. If that was your budget anyway then you will save on fuel. If it's beyond then you need to do an honest appraisal of long term benefits based on keeping car for a long time.

Lantus wrote: »
    So you are looking at circa 40k for a large ev that can take 3 seats like an id4. If that was your budget anyway then you will save on fuel. If it's beyond then you need to do an honest appraisal of long term benefits based on keeping car for a long time.

I've never had a new car before. Generally more of a bangernomics kinda guy. I'll definitely have to look hard at the financials. Maybe get an old ICE 7 seater for a couple of years until there's more choice on the market but really would love to go full electric. We'll have to see what the next year brings!

• Advertisement
Advertisement