Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BMW 335i from NI, valuation?

• 15-06-2021 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭

I'm about to buy a petrol 335i from NI, it's well spec'd but manual which may not appeal to all. It's going for £16k plus €3300 vrt.
    It's a lovely looking car, full service history etc, but a friend in the motor trade has put me off that it's not worth near that and I'd be lucky to get €14k selling it.
    Any advice/opinions much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭passatman86

What year is it

• Registered Users Posts: 81,110 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Get friend to send link to a €14k one and buy that.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

Parkers or Autotrader will give a UK valuation

I'm not sure if NI values are same as GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,335 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I assume it's an e90/91/92?
    In that case it's probably a bit overpriced.

They are a harder sell down here because of our punitive taxes on car ownership, compared with in NI or GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Sorry, it's 2014, 64k miles

• Advertisement

It's an F30, N55 engine. Tax is €790
    Whats-App-Image-2021-05-29-at-14-15-59.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

It's an F30, N55 engine. Tax is €790
    Whats-App-Image-2021-05-29-at-14-15-59.jpg

They're a lovely car, new model and low mileage, but over 20k is a lot for a seven year old vehicle.

I would have said around €16k was fair. Shop around.

I would have said around €16k was fair. Shop around.
    Thanks, has been hard to find anything similar to compare it to. I know diesels are still popular but i'd prefer to stay petrol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I bought a UK F30 335d last september 62k miles 15k euro, registration stuff of over 4k, and I was looking for ages.

exactly

• Advertisement

Not sure what you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Not sure what you mean?

just means if people are telling you that you could get it for 14k then tell them to find you one for 14k and they won't be able to.

someone was asking me what I paid for mine at work I didn't want to say and he guessed 12k, as in on the road on irish plates for 12k. people haven't a clue but will tell you what a car "costs"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Not sure what you mean?

If he thinks its worth only €14k, then tell him to find you one for €14k for sale right now. If he can't then he can shut his trap.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Not sure what you mean?

He means for your friend who said you'd be lucky to get 14k for it to send you a link to one that's being sold for 14k.

LOL :D All at the same time.

Ah yes, sorry, that makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭logie101

Cracking engine in that 335i.

I’d buy it before cars like that can only be found in museums and we are all driving around in electric powered cars.

6 Cylinder BMWs are a thing of beaut

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ferg01

OP I wouldn’t immediately assume that this car would depreciate badly over time. Yes, it’s expensive to run but there’ll always be a cohort of people who would want a car like this.

Agree with logie101, this is a cracker. I say go for it and enjoy the experience (I’m also jealous).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Casati

Does the car have a FSH? It’s not cheap but these cars are rising in value, indeed it’s almost impossible to find a 3.0 BMW petrol for sale that isn’t 10 years old+ as the demand is rising.

They have two turbo’s and can both give trouble so service history is critical and it’s a car aid be getting looked at by an expert.

As others said we won’t see the like of that lovely engine again and although new 340i’s are available they aren’t being sold in any numbers even in the U.K., as the the faster comparable EV is a lot cheaper

Casati wrote: »
    Does the car have a FSH? It’s not cheap but these cars are rising in value, indeed it’s almost impossible to find a 3.0 BMW petrol for sale that isn’t 10 years old+ as the demand is rising.

They have two turbo’s and can both give trouble so service history is critical and it’s a car aid be getting looked at by an expert.

As others said we won’t see the like of that lovely engine again and although new 340i’s are available they aren’t being sold in any numbers even in the U.K., as the the faster comparable EV is a lot cheaper
    It does up to 2018, I'm waiting on confirmation of that before I finalise the sale. The only issue I know it had was an aircon issue last year

• Advertisement

They have two turbo’s

Incorrect, the E generation had the N54 which had two turbos before swapping to the N55. For the F generation it's all N55 which has a single turbo with twin scrolls.

Incorrect, the E generation had the N54 which had two turbos before swapping to the N55. For the F generation it's all N55 which has a single turbo with twin scrolls.

Sorry your right, I was thinking the twin turbo was still used in 2014. Probably the same advice re service history even with the more reliable N55 - I would be put off if no history is available for the last three years

Sorry your right, I was thinking the twin turbo was still used in 2014. Probably the same advice re service history even with the more reliable N55 - I would be put off if no history is available for the last three years
    Got the service dates
    Mar, 16
    Jan, 17
    Apr, 18
    Mar, 19
    Looks like it wasn't serviced last year like a lot of cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Got the service dates
    Mar, 16
    Jan, 17
    Apr, 18
    Mar, 19
    Looks like it wasn't serviced last year like a lot of cars.

And a lot on MOT extensions as well..

In reality a lot of people aren't going to go to the expense of getting a car serviced when it was sitting up so much while they were working from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

340i and 440i are fairly strong sellers over there (relatively speaking of course), popular with private buyers where CO2 emissions are not an issue. People that would have bought the 30d or 35d in the F30 generation are switching back to petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

ferg01 wrote: »
    OP I wouldn’t immediately assume that this car would depreciate badly over time. Yes, it’s expensive to run but there’ll always be a cohort of people who would want a car like this.

Agree with logie101, this is a cracker. I say go for it and enjoy the experience (I’m also jealous).

Exactly, OP if in a few years time you want to sell it, I call first dibs ;)!

340i and 440i are fairly strong sellers over there (relatively speaking of course), popular with private buyers where CO2 emissions are not an issue. People that would have bought the 30d or 35d in the F30 generation are switching back to petrol.

Yeah they are popular - I get the impression second hand demand is higher than new sales of them. I've love one - even the 30d/35d/40d's are great

Advertisement