Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New 'Fast' bike

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

regarding prices - in the january sales during the euro/punt changeover, i bought a bike in cycleways (assembled in house) for IRL£1000 (reduced from IRL£1400 i think).
    terry dolan aluminium frame, 9 speed 105, gipiemme tecno 024 wheels.
    according to the CSO inflation calculator, inflation in ireland has risen 30% since then, which would place that bike at just shy of €1700 now.
    which still seems ballpark for a decent alu bike with 105?
    just checked - a giant contend SL is €1,429.

That giant thought was under 1200 in 2020 model so inflation in last year is through the roof

• Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭dahat

It'll calm down again, it is not just bikes where price have gone mental.

Try buying machinery, vintage cars, new and used cars, property; prices are insane in many instances. I would assume (but I don't know) art and the likes also.

Shimano groupset shortages (sold at a higher price) and also a lower output for bike manufacturers means they have to more profit per bike to survive.

Brexit was a huge influence coming after the Covid crisis. My job deals with worldwide supply chain and you wouldn’t believe the shortages of the most random items.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Macy0161 wrote: »
    There has to be an element of supply and demand, too? Also, BTW increase...

This really.

One brand has ample frames to supply shops, but they don't have groupsets. My lbs has asked for the frames as they have groupsets they can fit and they won't supply them as frame only

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,194 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

That giant thought was under 1200 in 2020 model so inflation in last year is through the roof
    under €1200 last year is cheaper than the pre-sale price i'd have paid for mine in 2002 - without even adjusting for inflation.
    granted, there are some differences in spec level, but the price difference doesn't seem to be outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭ciara1052

repairs that are not economically justifiable? or sizing?

I brought it to two shops who told me it wouldn't be worth repairing (I will say I've got 4/5 years of cycling out of it. I went in with one issue and was told I'd also have to replace a load of other components too. I think it was a case of it costing >400e all together and the bike isn't worth that anymore?).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,194 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

€400 is a lot to spend on a bike. what did they say needed replacing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

ciara1052 wrote: »
    I brought it to two shops who told me it wouldn't be worth repairing (I will say I've got 4/5 years of cycling out of it. I went in with one issue and was told I'd also have to replace a load of other components too. I think it was a case of it costing >400e all together and the bike isn't worth that anymore?).

Is it broken?
    The age is immaterial.
    What's wrong with it?

Also €400 to sort out a bike might seem a lot on a cheaper bike. But the bike should be sorted after the spend. Might do another 5 years with minimal outlay

400???? That would buy a full group set replacement shifters, cranks, derailleurs and all for a Claris/Sora level bike plus labour????????

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/shimano-sora-3000-9-speed-double-groupset/ No way all that needs replacing. You'd be getting money's worth for 400 if it did.

EDIT: Maybe the rims are complete toast which is a cost in itself that might make the sums add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭ciara1052

Is it broken?
    The age is immaterial.
    What's wrong with it?

Also €400 to sort out a bike might seem a lot on a cheaper bike. But the bike should be sorted after the spend. Might do another 5 years with minimal outlay

€400 is a lot to spend on a bike. what did they say needed replacing?
    Enfilade wrote: »
    400???? That would buy a full group set replacement shifters, cranks, derailleurs and all for a Claris/Sora level bike plus labour????????

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/shimano-sora-3000-9-speed-double-groupset/ No way all that needs replacing. You'd be getting money's worth for 400 if it did.

EDIT: Maybe the rims are complete toast which is a cost in itself that might make the sums add up.

I'm not mechanically minded (so apologies if I'm not referring to the correct parts!) but the rear bearing is completely gone (it went mid cycle around 2 months ago - so when the chain rotates the tyre no longer turns?) and when I brought it in they also said I'd need a new front tyre too (the spokes have become a little bit rusty...don't know if that in itself is an issue?), new chain and also that the groupset would need to be replaced (maybe not immediately but very soon by the sounds of it?).

I went to a second shop who gave me a similar cost estimate so didn't really question the work required. It does seem like now is not the time to be getting a new bike (seems like stock is quite low coming into summer) so maybe it is worth getting the repairs done?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭fat bloke

New wheels, tyres, tubes chain and cassette and a good service with new cables etc. Sure that could easily add up to 400 quid. No need for it to mean writing the bike off though. These are all parts that wear and wear out and can and should be replaced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Stick another 400 to your repair money and don't bother getting it repaired. Get something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

The amount of aul lads I see out on expensive carbon bikes to save half a kg....and the 4 stone belly hanging out of the lycra. Save the money on an expensive frame if you’re not in top shape! LOL

byrnem31 wrote: »
    Stick another 400 to your repair money and don't bother getting it repaired. Get something like that.

Eh, that's 1100 no? that would be 700 on top of the 400€ repairs?

Also your back in the same boat again of a bike needing parts to be replaced as its second hand???

The amount of aul lads I see out on expensive carbon bikes to save half a kg....and the 4 stone belly hanging out of the lycra. Save the money on an expensive frame if you’re not in top shape! LOL

I can never understand these type of posts, why can't people just enjoy things and if someone carrying a bit of weight wants to cycle a nice bike then why the LOL's

Just go out and enjoy the ride, never mind what other people cycle!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

It's still an upgrade regardless of rider weight though. Just because the rider is overweight doesn't mean there isn't an advantage with a carbon frame, better components etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭rolling boh

See no harm in guys cycling even if they are a bit overweight lots of people have a few grand to spend on a hobby sure a basic enough bike would be enough for a lot of guys out cycling but they have the money so fair play if they want to splash out .

Eh, that's 1100 no? that would be 700 on top of the 400€ repairs?

Also your back in the same boat again of a bike needing parts to be replaced as its second hand???

Offer him 800 and see what he says. The bike is meant to be in good nick so might not need anything for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

See no harm in guys cycling even if they are a bit overweight lots of people have a few grand to spend on a hobby sure a basic enough bike would be enough for a lot of guys out cycling but they have the money so fair play if they want to splash out .

In my view it’s a good thing. Better than buying a cheap BSO, not being comfortable on it, not using it and eventually not doing anything.

it's a strawman to suggest that overweight guys are buying light bikes because they need the extra 0.5kg weight saving. if someone is 4 stone overweight, they know they're 4 stone overweight but they just went out and bought themselves a nice bike.
    my brother in law could have bought a nice bike for the price of the headlights he paid for, for his car. which he didn't *need*, he just wanted nicer headlights.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

So fu**ing what! It's their money to spend on whatever they want.
    Fat shaming an overweight person who is out exercising is a prickish thing to do to be honest!

• Advertisement

A fat person may be on an expensive bike. But that's the very reason they are on it. To lose weight. It's like judging a fat person out jogging.

Last year someone commented my defy advanced 2 2020 must be faster cause I have a lighter wallet after buying it. You get them everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭this.lad

A fat person may be on an expensive bike. But that's the very reason they are on it. To lose weight. It's like judging a fat person out jogging.

Last year someone commented my defy advanced 2 2020 must be faster cause I have a lighter wallet after buying it. You get them everywhere.

It's okay, they compensate by having a lighter brain

• Registered Users Posts: 17,861 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Can I get an actual link to that please?

Thargor wrote: »
    Can I get an actual link to that please?

http://www.adverts.ie/23749061

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Strobing

I dunno, I suppose if you have the cash to splash go for it but showing up to your first group ride with no fitness on a superbike is a bit silly. I've seen it happen.

Body/fat shaming is poor form though. Those people are likely sensitive about their weight, especially as most cyclists are on the leaner side.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

They give no actual info about the bike. Like why bother saying just been service and omit that the left shifter looks like it's been trashed at least once

Either way. I'd say that bike is sold. It's a done deal ad that has been reposted to adverts automatically and is no longer listed on done deal. User not active on adverts either.

Advertisement