Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Just had a baby - car required for that reason. Advice sought.

  • 08-06-2021 2:26pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭ phantasmagoria


    Hi,

    So my wife just had a baby. She mentioned that she wants a car for the transportation of the little guy. I'm not into driving at all. Looking for advice based on the following elements:

    Safe, reliable, cheap to buy and run (as I am broke af!), easy to insure. It won't be.used for much more than small journeys so doesn't have to be comfortable or fancy.

    Any suggestions appreciated. Thank you.


«1

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 12,384 ✭✭✭✭ fits


    Here you go.
    Automatic Fabia petrol estate.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/view/26012257


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭ biddyearley


    Congrats!
    Please avoid the "baby on board" sign.

    https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/qBkAAOSwjVVVsu9F/s-l300.jpg


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭ BronsonTB


    Hi,

    So my wife just had a baby. She mentioned that she wants a car for the transportation of the little guy. I'm not into driving at all. Looking for advice based on the following elements:

    Safe, reliable, cheap to buy and run (as I am broke af!), easy to insure. It won't be.used for much more than small journeys so doesn't have to be comfortable or fancy.

    Any suggestions appreciated. Thank you.


    Car suggestion: Toyota Yaris

    Have you any no claims driving history in the last 2 years?
    Have you a full car licence?
    Both of these answers will depend on the ease to insure anything.

    BTB - Be sure to hit the 'Thanks' button please.



  • Registered Users Posts: 12,384 ✭✭✭✭ fits


    BronsonTB wrote: »
    Car suggestion: Toyota Yaris

    Have you any no claims driving history in the last 2 years?
    Have you a full car licence?
    Both of these answers will depend on the ease to insure anything.

    It would be really handy to have a small estate though for all the paraphernalia. I doubt the Yaris boot is up to much.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭ BronsonTB


    fits wrote: »
    It would be really handy to have a small estate though for all the paraphernalia. I doubt the Yaris boot is up to much.
    Ah ,Good point...I was looking more at the 'easy insure' part...


    OP - I second the Fabia petrol estate suggestion

    BTB - Be sure to hit the 'Thanks' button please.



  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭ coolisin


    Easy to insure could be anything depending on your own circumstances. Full licence, how many years in your own name etc etc.

    Poster above with the Fabia estate is a good shout, as when you travel with a baby now you will travel heavy regardless of where you go!
    Bigger the boot for the buggy and all associated crap they come with!
    Next the easier it is to get a seat in and out the better, I would recommend an ISOfix base for your first car seat that just clicks in and out.

    I would suggest a Golf/Leon/Toyota corolla all either estates or hatchbacks.


    I've an A4 estate for child with dog journeys and sometimes its a struggle! Its being very reliable for the time I have owned it.
    But I service it regularly and get things fixed when they break!
    Reliability depends on how the car was treated before you get it.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭ ineedeuro


    It's one child, why would they need an estate?

    Electric is cheap, safe etc but you would need a driveway to charge. Problematic for the odd long drive with charging etc but worth considering.

    Apart from that after a couple of weeks you will understand why the World is moving towards Crossovers. Don't get stuck into a car because of recommendations around here.

    You don't mention budget but the Qashqai is a huge favorite around the World for the reasons you mention. Plus the height for putting junior in/out will help the poor back. Plenty of them knocking around so cheap to get and you will also find cheap to repair. Also they are comfy to drive and the higher drive position is great. Some decent spec knocking around as well.

    Boot space, not gigantic but more than enough for a buggy plus shopping or bags if going for a week away


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭ coolisin


    ineedeuro wrote: »
    It's one child, why would they need an estate?

    For the same reasons you recommended a crossover! Extra Boot space while also having a square door frame for access.

    (Also was throwing out some personal experience. An estate has being a life saver for me with extra height in the boot)


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭ ineedeuro


    coolisin wrote: »
    For the same reasons you recommended a crossover! Extra Boot space while also having a square door frame for access.

    (Also was throwing out some personal experience. An estate has being a life saver for me with extra height in the boot)

    An estate maybe if you have 3-4 kids and you might need the space. For one kid a standard Crossover/car would be more than meet the requirements.

    The Skokia attached, I wouldn't do it to my worst enemy. Not saying a Qashqai is anything spectacular but that thing is awful. Jesus the interior would just depress the happiest person in the World


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,384 ✭✭✭✭ fits


    ineedeuro wrote: »
    An estate maybe if you have 3-4 kids and you might need the space. For one kid a standard Crossover/car would be more than meet the requirements.

    The Skokia attached, I wouldn't do it to my worst enemy. Not saying a Qashqai is anything spectacular but that thing is awful. Jesus the interior would just depress the happiest person in the World


    It’s just a pain to fit a buggy and the weekly shop in a small boot. The fabia definitely wouldn’t suit three kids. Qashqai and fabia estate are both practical tbh.


  • Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭ ineedeuro


    fits wrote: »
    It’s just a pain to fit a buggy and the weekly shop in a small boot. The fabia definitely wouldn’t suit three kids. Qashqai and fabia estate are both practical tbh.

    Not really....been, done it all and till doing it. If they have already bought a buggy then bring it with you when testing.
    I wouldn't be starting off in an estate for 1 child, not when a Golf/A4 etc are all options.

    Personally I would be going with the Crossover of some sort based on the requirements. Cars are dead its just taking a while to work them out of the system,. (Please note I still have a car :-) )


  • Registered Users Posts: 38 ✭✭✭ Cooled1


    ineedeuro wrote: »
    An estate maybe if you have 3-4 kids and you might need the space. For one kid a standard Crossover/car would be more than meet the requirements.

    The Skokia attached, I wouldn't do it to my worst enemy. Not saying a Qashqai is anything spectacular but that thing is awful. Jesus the interior would just depress the happiest person in the World

    That skoda is a brutal looking thing, cant believe its only 8 years old, looks like something from the late 90s. The qashqai is a good call.


  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭ brian_gall85


    Think we are missing the one key thing in all this, the OPs budget.

    He says he's broke AF, is that early 00s Yaris broke or mid 2010s broke?

    A lot will depend on that.


  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭ TP_CM


    Congrats!
    Please avoid the "baby on board" sign.

    https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/qBkAAOSwjVVVsu9F/s-l300.jpg

    I want to get one of these. For some reason everyone thinks it's an attempt to change the way another person is driving. I never understood that. To me it's explaining why I myself is driving so slowly or cautiously.


  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ Yourmama


    ineedeuro wrote:
    Apart from that after a couple of weeks you will understand why the World is moving towards Crossovers. Don't get stuck into a car because of recommendations around here.


    Don't want to derail the topic but can you tell me why world is leaning towards crossovers? I'm struggling big time on this, and can't really see this happening outside Ireland.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭ Andrewf20


    With 1 sprog, I did extensive research and landed on getting a 2007 auris back in 2016. 1.4 petrol. It has a timing chain with no change interval for peace of mind. We were doing low mileage so no need for diesel. Car was perfect as roof line was reasonably high for lifting baby in and out. Car was fairly jammers for holidays but we could always pack stuff in.

    Car was slow and handling was not enthusiastic but reliable and cheap as chips to own. Its too small if planning more kids.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,504 ✭✭✭ Outkast_IRE


    Crossovers in many cases are not much bigger than hatchbacks , just higher .


  • Registered Users Posts: 72,762 ✭✭✭✭ colm_mcm


    Yourmama wrote: »
    Don't want to derail the topic but can you tell me why world is leaning towards crossovers? I'm struggling big time on this, and can't really see this happening outside Ireland.

    It’s happening globally.

    High driving position, high roofline, easy to get kids in and out of, good for bad backs, kids love them, they’re fashionable, manufacturers like them because they can charge more and the playing field is levelled for up and coming brands compared to traditional sectors like family hatch and exec saloon that have long term class leaders they’ll never beat.


  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭ mankteln


    TP_CM wrote: »
    I want to get one of these. For some reason everyone thinks it's an attempt to change the way another person is driving. I never understood that. To me it's explaining why I myself is driving so slowly or cautiously.

    This was why I got one as soon as I could! Felt bad crawling along without any explanation. And of course the actual reason is so if involved in an accident the first responders know there's a baby in the car (that's why you should put it on the side where the car seat is, to guide them)


  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭ phantasmagoria


    Congrats!
    Please avoid the "baby on board" sign.

    https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/qBkAAOSwjVVVsu9F/s-l300.jpg

    Thanks....yeah I don't like those signs!


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭ phantasmagoria


    Full licence for a couple of years but no insurance record in the country as no need for a car previous.


  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭ phantasmagoria


    BronsonTB wrote: »
    Car suggestion: Toyota Yaris

    Have you any no claims driving history in the last 2 years?
    Have you a full car licence?
    Both of these answers will depend on the ease to insure anything.

    No insurance record but full licence.


  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭ phantasmagoria


    Think we are missing the one key thing in all this, the OPs budget.

    He says he's broke AF, is that early 00s Yaris broke or mid 2010s broke?

    A lot will depend on that.
    I'd say mid 2010s broke


  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭ phantasmagoria


    TP_CM wrote: »
    I want to get one of these. For some reason everyone thinks it's an attempt to change the way another person is driving. I never understood that. To me it's explaining why I myself is driving so slowly or cautiously.

    Aye, good point. I find the amount of impatience on the road to be mind blowing. Usually somebody going nuts when you are on the speed limit!


  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭ phantasmagoria


    Andrewf20 wrote: »
    With 1 sprog, I did extensive research and landed on getting a 2007 auris back in 2016. 1.4 petrol. It has a timing chain with no change interval for peace of mind. We were doing low mileage so no need for diesel. Car was perfect as roof line was reasonably high for lifting baby in and out. Car was fairly jammers for holidays but we could always pack stuff in.

    Car was slow and handling was not enthusiastic but reliable and cheap as chips to own. Its too small if planning more kids.

    Yeah, probably going to be one more max and relatively soon...


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,775 ✭✭✭ Effects


    ineedeuro wrote: »
    Electric is cheap

    Electric cars aren't cheap.


  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭ triona1


    So my wife just had a baby. She mentioned that she wants a car for the transportation of the little guy. I'm not into driving at all. Looking for advice based on the following elements:


    It just popped out
    (The baby) of the blue so now you want a cheap reliable car? aye sir can see how that took probably a few months to notice you may need a car that you don't want to drive,lucky girl.


  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ Recliner


    mankteln wrote: »
    This was why I got one as soon as I could! Felt bad crawling along without any explanation. And of course the actual reason is so if involved in an accident the first responders know there's a baby in the car (that's why you should put it on the side where the car seat is, to guide them)

    Why does having a baby or child on board make you crawl?? I've never understand this. Surely if you are a competent and safe driver before having a baby why should your driving style change?
    I can understand having one of those signs in case of an accident but crawling along whilst driving can be dangerous to other road users also.

    Anyway, I'm derailing the thread.


  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭ mankteln


    Recliner wrote: »
    Why does having a baby or child on board make you crawl?? I've never understand this. Surely if you are a competent and safe driver before having a baby why should your driving style change?
    I can understand having one of those signs in case of an accident but crawling along whilst driving can be dangerous to other road users also.

    Anyway, I'm derailing the thread.
    Yeah I was overstating it as I'd still go at or around the limit once it's safe with the baby in the car but as another poster pointed out that's often not enough for some people on Irish roads.
    You're driving style definitely changes to be more cautious to reflect your conscious that you've a vulnerable being in the back that you need to protect. You want to leave yourself time to react to what other road users might do. On our second trip out with our child (first week, trip back into hospital) a few weeks ago I came around a bend to be faced with a car overtaking just before it, I was going 78 (it's an 80 road) and had to slam on my brakes to stop a head on collision, if I'd been going over the limit it may well have been another story. There was a Garda car behind me and they turned around immediately so hoping whoever it was got pulled, I could have murdered him for putting my child in danger by overtaking on a blind bend.
    Also bear in mind new parents might not have had that much sleep so reaction times might not be on par with usual! I personally stayed away from driving as much as possible unless absolutely essential (like that trip).


  • Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭ ineedeuro


    Effects wrote: »
    Electric cars aren't cheap.

    Yes they are....if in your budget


Advertisement