Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Garmin 520 navigation

• 07-06-2021 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭ jethrothe2nd

I'm contemplating taking the train to Galway one of these days and cycling back to Maynooth. I have a Garmin 520 (not the +) but have never used it from a navigation perspective. I'll upload a local test route and see how it goes, but just wondering how others have found it? I don't fancy adding on extra kms getting lost or taking a wrong turn.

Also if anyone has a Galway-Maynooth/Galway-Dublin route already mapped that I could upload, you'd make a lazy man very happy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭ crosstownk

It works but not all roads are on the pre-installed Garmin basemap. I installed better maps from here. Instructions for installing can be found here.

You'll need to plot the route on Garmin Connect then sync it to your 520. Set things like a realistic average speed to get data like ETA. I used to set up a separate page on the 520 for navigation data like ETA, distance to go, time behind target ETA, etc.

I've a route from Corofin in Clare to Dublin. I passed through Portumna so maybe you could pick it up from there....? PM me if you want it.

EDIT: For a spin of that distance, be sure to bring an external power source to recharge your Garmin. My 520 was around 5 years old with regular use and I needed to recharge it twice over that sort of distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭ jethrothe2nd

crosstownk wrote: »
    It works but not all roads are on the pre-installed Garmin basemap. I installed better maps from here. Instructions for installing can be found here.

You'll need to plot the route on Garmin Connect then sync it to your 520. Set things like a realistic average speed to get data like ETA. I used to set up a separate page on the 520 for navigation data like ETA, distance to go, time behind target ETA, etc.

I've a route from Corofin in Clare to Dublin. I passed through Portumna so maybe you could pick it up from there....? PM me if you want it.

EDIT: For a spin of that distance, be sure to bring an external power source to recharge your Garmin. My 520 was around 5 years old with regular use and I needed to recharge it twice over that sort of distance.

That is really helpful - thank you

Advertisement