Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job change advice

• 07-06-2021 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi in my current job for one and a half years, I work a 9 to 5 job on minimum wage. I want to leave this job as I feel I am getting stressed in it and that the atmosphere in the place is changing.

I have been offered a new job still on minimum wage but should be less stress but different hours and to include weekends. There is stipulation that 4 euro to be deducted for every shift worked for food even if I bring my own it still be taken and that there would be a weekly uniform fee of 3 euro taken.

I have worked out that I would be less of in new job. I am leaning toward staying in current job and continue to see what out there, but another part of me thinks take new job and continue looking for new job.

What would you suggest for me to do

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Run away from that new job, run fast

That would raise concerns for me OP. Without knowing what industry you're in, it sounds to me like the employer is making up their own rules as they go. Regardless of how you feel about losing 7 quid a week from your pay, I'd be worried about how the employer treats their staff.

While it might seem like you have nothing to lose by trying the new job, it'll be easier to keep looking in your current role rather than trying to get up to speed in a new job while also jobhunting on the side. It'll also avoid the appearance of job-hopping on your CV.

If you do go for the new job, have a look and see if you're entitled to any flat rate expenses - you might be able to claw back that €7pw charge from the Revenue. https://www.revenue.ie/en/employing-people/employee-expenses/flat-rate-expense-allowances/index.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Supermacs?

If you’ve 18 months experience you should be setting your sights higher than minimum wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

Them deducting that money will bring you below min wage.. Not sure they can do that. I would hold out, something better will come along. Good luck

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Tv2013 wrote: »
    What would you suggest for me to do

Stay where you are as you continue your job search.
    No point being down ~€23pw just by going to work.
    Regardless of how you feel about losing 7 quid a week from your pay,

€4 per shift + €3 per week, €23 down if they work 5 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Tv2013

Just to update, after sleeping on it I have decided to stay in current job and see if I can get something better in the future. Probably won't but we will see if anything comes up

Advertisement