Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW M4

• 02-06-2021 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Im currently looking at purchasing a bmw M4 2016 from the UK. I plan to own the car for 2 years but my only concern at the moment is resale.

Will the M4 be hard to resale in 2 years time ? as due to the price i dont want to get stuck with it. This is the last thing holding me back so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Please note the M4 will be bmw used approved 40k miles with a good few extras. i will only roughly do 15 to 18 thousand miles during my ownership

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,059 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

How much are you saving importing one now from the UK versus buying one over here? I cannot imagine there is much savings on importing now with Brexit and VRT changes in last year's budget.

To have an idea of what resale value might be like in 2 years time go onto the likes of carzone.ie and have a look at asking prices of 2014 models. One thing to note though is that the fast car world is changing quickly and there are more electrification performance options coming online so resale values could go either way, either they will become more sought after due to rarity or traditional buyers of these cars will move away from performance ICE cars altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 kaneIIV

not a huge amount but im able to get better spec and less miles for the same price if not slightly cheaper, also by buying from used approved i also get a warranty which is great.

Yes ive being checking and there actually only showing for around 4k cheaper for a 2014 which doesnt make sense at all, some are more expensive.

Yes its a very strange market at the moment due to Brexit and the push to hybrids etc

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Water2626262

bazz26 wrote: »
    How much are you saving importing one now from the UK versus buying one over here? I cannot imagine there is much savings on importing now with Brexit and VRT changes in last year's budget.

To have an idea of what resale value might be like in 2 years time go onto the likes of carzone.ie and have a look at asking prices of 2014 models. One thing to note though is that the fast car world is changing quickly and there are more electrification performance options coming online so resale values could go either way, either they will become more sought after due to rarity or traditional buyers of these cars will move away from performance ICE cars altogether.

Will be very interesting. The new bmw i4 m car will be 63k in the UK. Price might not be too mad here when it lands given its zero emissions etc. Will people be bothered with the high tax, insurance, fuel and servicing costs of a proper M car? The majority probably won’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You know about the extra taxes, import charges???

It will be a very hard sell with such a small market here.

You will lose a ton on it but don't get me wrong if you can afford and want.... Buy it and enjoy it.

You know about the extra taxes, import charges???

It will be a very hard sell with such a small market here.

You will lose a ton on it but don't get me wrong if you can afford and want.... Buy it and enjoy it.

Yep the VRT is around 14k but I feel this might be my last chance to get one before the final push to hybrid and electric.

Most of the price seems to be lost already so I don't think I'll lose a massive amount to be honest

For example the car is in some cases more expensive here still so hopefully I will be alright .. Happy to lose about 10k over 2 or 3 years anymore and I would cry haha

• Advertisement

kaneIIV wrote: »
    Yep the VRT is around 14k but I feel this might be my last chance to get one before the final push to hybrid and electric.

Most of the price seems to be lost already so I don't think I'll lose a massive amount to be honest

For example the car is in some cases more expensive here still so hopefully I will be alright .. Happy to lose about 10k over 2 or 3 years anymore and I would cry haha

Yeah but all in is that everything, Nox €600, vat, import duties as of 01/01/2021.....

Yeah but all in is that everything, Nox €600, vat, import duties as of 01/01/2021.....

I'm not sure to be honest I usually just pay the VRT which includes NOX wasn't aware there was other charges now also . I'll look this up now

• Registered Users Posts: 51,059 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There is also 10% import duty and potentially VAT thanks to Brexit.

I'm not sure to be honest I usually just pay the VRT which includes NOX wasn't aware there was other charges now also . I'll look this up now

you're in for a nasty surprise.

Wow thanks for making me aware I completely missed this. So from what I can briefly see it seems the best option now is to buy from the North. if a car is registered there then u don't have to pay VAT or customs duty and just pay the standard VRT.

Brexit is such a pain . Ireland prices on cars is ridiculous, such a rip off

• Advertisement

So I take it then that all ireland car dealers are buying from the North now then or at least bringing them in from up there and then registering the car there to avoid the new costs ..

Ireland prices haven't sky rocketed so that must be the case

So I take it then that all ireland car dealers are buying from the North now then or at least bringing them in from up there and then registering the car there to avoid the new costs ..

Ireland prices haven't sky rocketed so that must be the case

Not only this but you need to be sure the car was brought in correctly, registered in the north or was in before January or is on northern plates....

This is why I said at the start to be careful with all the new charges.

Prices have sky rocketed, stuff up for sale at crazy prices.....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

UK imports now have VRT, Import Duty and VAT thanks to Brexit. The only exceptions being cars that are built in the UK, these don't attract VAT charges.

If buying from NI, the car must have been properly imported from the UK on or before 31.12.20 or be an original NI registered car in order for it to not attract VAT.

UK imports are more or less dead in the water now thanks to Brexit which is why prices have sky-rocketed.

Thanks all .. my heart is still saying m4 maybe from the North and my head is saying 530e instead so I can be a good little human.

The new fees and VRT on top are a complete joke.

Thanks for your help anyway .. greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

Would you not just try buy an M4 in the South? It may take time to come across one, but it's probably the cheapest option at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

millington wrote: »
    Would you not just try buy an M4 in the South? It may take time to come across one, but it's probably the cheapest option at the minute.

Yeah exactly. Get one here and be done with it. Life's too short to be driving boring cars, especially as in a few years time cars like the M4 won't be allowed to be made, so enjoy them while they're still allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Yeah exactly. Get one here and be done with it. Life's too short to be driving boring cars, especially as in a few years time cars like the M4 won't be allowed to be made, so enjoy them while they're still allowed.

The thing to understand now is that anything properly sporty and cool is holding its value like crazy. M4 already lost a good bit in since it was new and due to new changes/brexit these cars are rare and limited supply and hold value. M4 will not lose a lot of value in near future. Its not a car everyone is looking to buy, it's a car, that very specific buyer wants and usually it won't a be a time waster. So selling it on won't be as hard.

If heart is set on M4 and you can afford it, then do it while you can, before they will drag you screaming in to EV and tell you, that you can't have anything fun with an actual engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Casati

A lot of M cars are bought by companies / leased and is easy to find a recent M4 that is vat qualifying. This will allow you to buy ex vat of 20% but will pay the 23% when you land it here. I understand if you buy EU made BMW car less than 3 years old you can avoid customs charge

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

If you have to ask about that sort of stuff I’d say you can’t afford an M4...

Amazing motors, my friend owned one a while back and pumped money into tires, upkeep, fuel, service. Multiples of what i used to put into my old e92. Let alone insurance and tax.

If you have to ask about that sort of stuff I’d say you can’t afford an M4...

That's not really a fair comment.
    Amazing motors, my friend owned one a while back and pumped money into tires, upkeep, fuel, service. Multiples of what i used to put into my old e92. Let alone insurance and tax.

The "M Tax" is a real thing. I was quoted in excess of 1k for a BMW dealership to do a spark plug change on mine. Granted there is a lot of work in removing stuff to access the plugs and replacing it all afterwards but a grand is nuts.

This is why I'll be servicing it myself with OEM parts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

This is why I'll be servicing it myself with OEM parts.

Didn't realise you had planned on keeping it for life. :P

dar83 wrote: »
    Didn't realise you had planned on keeping it for life. :P

Well you realised wrong good sir :D

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭chalky_ie

The thing to understand now is that anything properly sporty and cool is holding its value like crazy. M4 already lost a good bit in since it was new and due to new changes/brexit these cars are rare and limited supply and hold value. M4 will not lose a lot of value in near future. Its not a car everyone is looking to buy, it's a car, that very specific buyer wants and usually it won't a be a time waster. So selling it on won't be as hard

None of this is really true. An M4 is never going to be easy to sell as a private seller, unless you are selling it very cheap, or trade it in(for even less). There are plenty of time wasters at the price point they are at as well.

They aren't guaranteed to hold their value for years to come either, when this current overvaluing of everything stops, they will drop like everything else. They aren't going to be collector's items for a long time, if ever.

conor-w wrote: »
    None of this is really true. An M4 is never going to be easy to sell as a private seller, unless you are selling it very cheap, or trade it in(for even less). There are plenty of time wasters at the price point they are at as well.

They aren't guaranteed to hold their value for years to come either, when this current overvaluing of everything stops, they will drop like everything else. They aren't going to be collector's items for a long time, if ever.

None of this is really true.

You're only saying that because you've sold your one :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭chalky_ie

None of this is really true.

You're only saying that because you've sold your one :pac:

Well I have experience of everything I've said, whereas you're a biased party with skin in the game, so I know who I'd trust :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

I'm not convinced kane was ever in the market for an M4 . If you intend buying a performance car from the UK and dont know that the UK left the EU you must be either under 10 or just wasting time on the net or both.

Advertisement