Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Covid ignorance.

  • 30-05-2021 11:28am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭ pgj2015


    Why is it that so many people don't know basic things like the fact you can still get covid after vaccination? and have never heard of long covid?

    The amount of people I have met who don't know about these things is astonishing.

    The vaccinators should tell everyone they give the vaccination that they can still catch and pass on covid.

    "long covid, what is that?"

    Long covid tv adverts, social media adverts, billboards etc should be highlighted in a big way, especially to young people. You don't want to get it and have to deal with chronic fatigue for the rest of your life or other complications.

    why aren't the Government highlighting these issues? like are they not important?


«1

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 7,234 ✭✭✭ FintanMcluskey


    Most healthy people under 40 need a test to know they have it & the vulnerable are vaccinated

    The government seriously need to consider a campaign to help people like yourself get confidence back to resume their lives


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭ pgj2015


    Most healthy people under 40 need a test to know they have it & the vulnerable are vaccinated

    The government seriously need to consider a campaign to help people like yourself get confidence back to resume their lives



    People think the pandemic is over but it isn't. Don't be surprised if we are locked down again in the future.

    Im an essential worker so have been out an about more than a lot of people the last 9 months, im not hiding away for your information.

    The travel bans didn't effect me, I have been all over the country.


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭ suicide_circus


    Burn out.

    People don't have the capacity to remain at a high level of terror indefinitely.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭ pgj2015


    Burn out.

    People don't have the capacity to remain at a high level of terror indefinitely.



    Terror? in fairness what I am saying isn't a major thing to implement, people should be made aware of these things. I really hope people just have a bit of cop on and don't get infected, who knows what the long term effects will be.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭ Boggerman12


    Time for those too comfortable on pup payments to have it slashed instantly to snap them back to normal and none of the “new normal “ bs


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭ pgj2015


    Time for those too comfortable on pup payments to have it slashed instantly to snap them back to normal and none of the “new normal “ bs



    what has the pup payment got to do with this thread?:confused:


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭ suicide_circus


    There are been a long and concerted effort to make and keep people frightened. But that only works for so long.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,234 ✭✭✭ FintanMcluskey


    pgj2015 wrote: »
    People think the pandemic is over but it isn't. Don't be surprised if we are locked down again in the future.

    Im an essential worker so have been out an about more than a lot of people the last 9 months, im not hiding away for your information.

    The travel bans didn't effect me, I have been all over the country.

    You’ve not suffered the same suppression as others as you were able to travel about and the associated freedom that allowed you. I wonder would you feel the same if you had to WFH for 15 months?

    People have become desensitised to to Covid, surely it’s a basic survival mechanism in the species to not fear something that’s not a risk to those of the age of having kids etc?


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭ Antares35


    ... & the vulnerable are vaccinated

    The government seriously need to consider a campaign to help people like yourself get confidence back to resume their lives

    Many pregnant women are still waiting for their vaccine, which has been delayed because of the ransomware attack. These women are justifiably concerned about the risk of covid related placentitis and stillbirths. I too am looking forward to "resuming my life" but I'd also rather my unborn child isn't a statistic, hence I will avoid people who are acting the maggot until I get my vaccine (hopefully next week).


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭ pgj2015


    You’ve not suffered the same suppression as others as you were able to travel about and the associated freedom that allowed you. I wonder would you feel the same if you had to WFH for 15 months?

    People have become desensitised to to Covid, surely it’s a basic survival mechanism in the species to not fear something that’s not a risk to those of the age of having kids etc?



    No one wants to have lockdowns, not you, not I or not the government. But they were needed sometimes we just have to do what is right for the general good of the country.

    If I had to work from home, I would but I didn't have to. I was off for 4 months in 2020 due to covid, I enjoyed that to be honest but would prefer to be working.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭ knipex


    The government seriously need to consider a campaign to help people like yourself get confidence back to resume their lives

    Most healthy people under 40 need a test to know they have it & the vulnerable are vaccinated


    Perhaps the government need ANOTHER campaign to explain

    That only 50% have had 1 shot and that less than 20% are fully vaccinated.
    That allowing the virus to spread in the community, even asymptomaticaly risks mutations.
    That long covid affects your people. The "vulnerable" due.
    That all the advice is to continue with precautions.
    That vaccination is not a silver bullet.


    All the stuff they have been saying for over a year now.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭ growleaves


    Long covid is post-viral syndrome. You can get it from influenza or scarlet fever as well. Two people I know have had post-viral syndrome for years (one has chronic fatigue) and there is a well known computer programmer who suffers ongoing illness from it after an influenza bout in 2005 (Michael Church, who used to work at Google).

    No reason to believe - and no evidence presented - that instances of post-viral syndrome have increased in number or severity over and above a moderately bad flu year.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 ✭✭✭ Midland fisherman


    Burn out.

    People don't have the capacity to remain at a high level of terror indefinitely.

    Hold firm.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭ Penfailed


    pgj2015 wrote: »
    Terror? in fairness what I am saying isn't a major thing to implement, people should be made aware of these things. I really hope people just have a bit of cop on and don't get infected, who knows what the long term effects will be.

    No one knows. Didn't stop you from posting this though -
    pgj2015 wrote: »
    You don't want to get it and have to deal with chronic fatigue for the rest of your life

    Gigs '21 - Stendhal Festival (July), Stendhal Festival (August), [s]Liam Gallagher & Idles[/s], King Kong Company, Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs, The Undertones, And So I Watch You From Afar

    Gigs '22 - And So I Watch You From Afar, Teenage Fanclub, Mogwai, Stendhal Festival, The Fratellis, Clutch, Kurt Vile & The Violators, The Cure



  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭ pgj2015


    Penfailed wrote: »
    No one knows. Didn't stop you from posting this though -



    Well we know long covid exists though, don't we?


    The lady who was crying on the radio lately didnt sound like she was having much fun with long covid.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭ Penfailed


    Antares35 wrote: »
    Many pregnant women are still waiting for their vaccine, which has been delayed because of the ransomware attack. These women are justifiably concerned about the risk of covid related placentitis and stillbirths. I too am looking forward to "resuming my life" but I'd also rather my unborn child isn't a statistic, hence I will avoid people who are acting the maggot until I get my vaccine (hopefully next week).

    What risk?

    Gigs '21 - Stendhal Festival (July), Stendhal Festival (August), [s]Liam Gallagher & Idles[/s], King Kong Company, Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs, The Undertones, And So I Watch You From Afar

    Gigs '22 - And So I Watch You From Afar, Teenage Fanclub, Mogwai, Stendhal Festival, The Fratellis, Clutch, Kurt Vile & The Violators, The Cure



  • Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭ Penfailed


    pgj2015 wrote: »
    Well we know long covid exists though, don't we?


    The lady who was crying on the radio lately didnt sound like she was having much fun with long covid.

    No one knows if it's permanent or not.

    Gigs '21 - Stendhal Festival (July), Stendhal Festival (August), [s]Liam Gallagher & Idles[/s], King Kong Company, Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs, The Undertones, And So I Watch You From Afar

    Gigs '22 - And So I Watch You From Afar, Teenage Fanclub, Mogwai, Stendhal Festival, The Fratellis, Clutch, Kurt Vile & The Violators, The Cure



  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭ Antares35


    Penfailed wrote: »
    What risk?

    The risk that it can cause placentitis which can lead to stillbirth.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭ ypres5


    Penfailed wrote: »
    What risk?

    Several stillbirths were written down as covid deaths a few months ago. We're supposed to believe a third of all covid placentitis cases in the world occured in Ireland which is an absolute statistical miracle or it could be NPHET telling the usual scary story


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭ pgj2015


    Penfailed wrote: »
    No one knows if it's permanent or not.



    Even if it isn't, would you want to get covid today and be chronically fatigued this time next year from having contracted covid? no, so people should be told about it.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭ Antares35


    ypres5 wrote: »
    Several stillbirths were written down as covid deaths a few months ago. We're supposed to believe a third of all covid placentitis cases in the world occured in Ireland which is an absolute statistical miracle or it could be NPHET telling the usual scary story

    There have been 11. Are you suggesting these were made up? I'm sure the grieving mothers will be delighted to find out that their babies are still alive.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭ Deeper Blue


    pgj2015 wrote: »
    Why is it that so many people don't know basic things like the fact you can still get covid after vaccination? and have never heard of long covid?

    The amount of people I have met who don't know about these things is astonishing.

    The vaccinators should tell everyone they give the vaccination that they can still catch and pass on covid.

    "long covid, what is that?"

    Long covid tv adverts, social media adverts, billboards etc should be highlighted in a big way, especially to young people. You don't want to get it and have to deal with chronic fatigue for the rest of your life or other complications.

    why aren't the Government highlighting these issues? like are they not important?

    The rest of your life?? Ah here the disease has been around for barely 18 months


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭ ypres5


    Antares35 wrote: »
    There have been 11. Are you suggesting these were made up? I'm sure the grieving mothers will be delighted to find out that their babies are still alive.

    Spare me the play on emotions, you're the one using dead children to whip up hysteria along with nphet, not me. Do you believe that by some statistical anomaly that we had a third of all worldwide cases of this incredibly rare phenomenon?


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭ Antares35


    ypres5 wrote: »
    Spare me the play on emotions, you're the one using dead children to whip up hysteria along with nphet, not me. Do you believe that by some statistical anomaly that we had a third of all worldwide cases of this incredibly rare phenomenon?

    Whip up hysteria? Because I said I'd be avoiding people acting the maggot until I have my vaccine? There's only one of us resorting to hysteria now and it isn't me :D
    Do you always react with such hostility to other people deciding what their personal risk tolerance is? Do you not realise that we each have the right to decide for ourselves where we draw a line?

    Whether the statistics given are right or wrong, I don't want my baby to become one of them, so why would I take a risk?


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭ mloc123


    Likely the same reason people drink, smoke, eat fastfood etc... They are willing to trade off some life expectancy and health concerns for enjoyment.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭ Antares35


    mloc123 wrote: »
    Likely the same reason people drink, smoke, eat fastfood etc... They are willing to trade off some life expectancy and health concerns for enjoyment.

    As is their prerogative.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭ ypres5


    Antares35 wrote: »
    Whip up hysteria? Because I said I'd be avoiding people acting the maggot until I have my vaccine? There's only one of us resorting to hysteria now and it isn't me :D
    Do you always react with such hostility to other people deciding what their personal risk tolerance is? Do you not realise that we each have the right to decide for ourselves where we draw a line?

    Whether the statistics given are right or wrong, I don't want my baby to become one of them, so why would I take a risk?

    You're the one who's hysterical not me, Ive posted in a calm and reasonable fashion while youve gone the full Helen Lovejoy and pulled out the grieving mother's card. Please don't bother responding to me at least until you've taken a deep breath and are able to respond to what I'm actually saying rather than what you imagine I've said.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭ Antares35


    ypres5 wrote: »
    Please don't bother responding to me.

    Ah, that one :)

    You really seem to have issues with other people deciding their own risk tolerance. You should probably work on that..live and let live and all that :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 72,121 ✭✭✭✭ Atlantic Dawn


    The next 2 weeks are critical x 100.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭ mloc123


    Antares35 wrote: »
    As is their prerogative.

    100%... nobody is perfect, and people should be allowed to do so


This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement