Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The next Star Trek film

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Rawr

One year lead time?....uh...that does not bode well.

No-one has seen a script either, which indicates they don't have one and might do a lot of this on the fly. They really need at least 2 years, from approved script, to shooting, to post, to marketing. That's not to say that they can't rush-job a good movie in a year, but given the quality of rush-job movies in the past decade I can't expect a quality product by X-mas 2023 if this is their plan.

They'd be better off gunning for 2024 and do a proper job of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭Evade

I think it's more about locking down a desireable release date than actually being ready by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

He'd be a good choice. Up for it, knowledgeable (And relatively cheap). My only concern with Orville was that it was quite middle-of-the-road. Certainly early series. The last one I enjoyed (Although I do know I have been... inconsistent about my thoughts on the humour in The Orville). So, my only concern is if the movie plays it too safe.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to gut Trek (I never liked the idea of a Tarantino Trek) but it needs to up the stakes. Not another Nu-Trek remake. Bring in some new baddies with a genuine beef. I mean, I cannot even remember what the last one was about Idris Elba transforming into an alien. Kirk on a motorbike. Some crew member holding a McGuffin in her head, some alien joining starfleet.

While I have said that Orville plays it safe, I have also said that it has more human characters than regular Trek and I like that. And would like to see more of that. And that's where having an antagonist with a genuine grievance. Sort of a "Jesus Christ, you know what? You're not wrong". (I could never hear Picard saying that). I really quite liked Black Panther movie because of the motivations of the bad guy. Here you had a country that could have easily stopped the slave trade but chose not to do so out of fear/some moral principle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It depends on how large a scope this film intends to be: December 2023 is possible ... if it's to be a bit of a Bottle Story, with a small ~$50 million budget then yeah, it could happen in that timescale. Just depends on what the expected final feature is to be. If it's going to be another attempt to make Trek a blockbuster? Then that release date is far too close in the future.

Oh and Seth McFarlane? Dear god no. I speak as someone who nope'd out of Orville very early on but I don't see anything that'd mark him as a talent.

You exited Orville too early. They really toned the "comedy" back and upped the drama.

Still think it would be savaged were it called Star Trek: Orville but it is a damned good show in the TNG thread

• Advertisement

Oh and Seth McFarlane? Dear god no. I speak as someone who nope'd out of Orville very early on but I don't see anything that'd mark him as a talent.

They definitely dialed back the Family Guy type humour dramatically by season two and it was gone totally by season three (It was my big issue with season 1 too. You'd have something going on and then, dick-joke). It was decent enough middle-of-the-road Trek. Not going to rock the world but certainly more Trek than they-that-should-not-be-named.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Doesn't matter. I have a very short reservoir for "off brand" kind of tales and Orville could contain the mysteries of the after life and I'd still not watch it cos that Off Brand Trek feel would constantly itch my brain something rotten. Plus McFarlane is one of the few actors whose mere presence can sour everything around it. He conspired to nearly ruin Logan Lucky, a small part in a movie I generally love quite much.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Good at what he does but his Scotty was like a Galaxy Quest Scotty parody.

Can't see a new Kelvin movie being all that popular now that we have a broad field of TV shows on air especially with SNW out there doing a much better take on the Those Old Scientists era.

I hope SNW tries to hire an actual Scot this time around for the inevitable Scotty appearance.

Yeh cannae change the laws o' physics, ya wee b*stard

• Advertisement

Didn't Scotty already make an appearance, in voice only, in a Quality of Mercy?

I'd prefer a non-Scotty chief engineer in season 2 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,557 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

How about an Irish Chief Engineer? Come on It's time one was Irish. I know there was O'brien but he was never in charge of a main Starship unless you include the Defiant but that was part time not constantly

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I mean he kept DS9 together. Anything that isn't another KurtzTrek California casting is fine with me.

Sick of everyone sounding like the ship is an L.A. Starbucks.

I think they should bring in an antipodean, I think there hasn't been one of those before.

Rhys Darby as chief engineer.

*mic drop*

Not too famous a name, eccentric and nerdy enough for the role; and that accent.

Standing on my dick/get off my dick jokes aplenty

Jess Bush is Australian. They could have just retroed it. I mean fk it Robert April is black now and Kyle is Asian.

Chapel is probably too prominent to be Australian all of a sudden.

• Advertisement

The only problem I'd have with an antipodean actor? Is the Australian accent with the question at the end? It REALLY annoys me? But yeah, give us a NewZealander.

If they were going with the current Trek movie version (Not likely), now that poor Anton Yelchin has passed, they could replace him with a new character

Ms

If the new film if it ever happens is still in that Universe I do not think they will replace him. Yes they could have a new navigator do. They already had a new character from "Beyond"do whether she wants or will be a part of the next film or not I have no idea.

Anyone any idea who the actor who played her was?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

At this stage, I'm kinda approaching the mindset that I don't want another Trek movie, it it pulls focus away from course-correcting the TV franchise.

Ms

Ye I would much prefer if its something totally new with a totally new crew and not based on the last 3 JJ films films and crew. Paramount really needed to be quicker at getting them out if they wanted them to work. It should have been one every 3 years. I think the JJ films time has passed.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

The alien found on the planet?

Sofia Boutella: She was in the original Kingsman film and was the Mummy in that god awful Tom Cruise adaption

I really think they are missing a big trick not having a Rios 25th century show.

We have a 23rd century nostalgia show (makes JJ redundant for me), a kids show, a comedy show and Discovery is doing it's thing.

If I was to take a guess at where fans wanna go next it's to pick up post Voyager/DS9. Picard is set there and the only bits of Picard I enjoyed was the snippets of that world. But Picard was always gonna be a limited series timewise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

This this and this..! Am in full agreement. Would be great to see a post Nem trek on a starship. Doesn't have to be with Rios or any of the previous cast but the odd cameo would be nice!

Jaysus for a hot second I was all " who the F is Rios?" then remembered. Says a lot about Picard.

• Advertisement

I just thought he was a good character and had a good ship so was all set up.

Advertisement