Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The next Star Trek film

Options
  • 29-05-2021 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,557 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

So seen as we have an idea when the next film is due why not have a thread to speculate and talk about what you would love to see in it.
    Me I will not be surprised if it is delayed or does not come out till December 23 or even sometime in 2024. The timeline is ambitious.

I would love to see a new ship new crew and it set in the 25th century with the Breen being the enemy's but I would like it to have a good story too.

I know I am dreaming. There has been talk it will still be it the JJ verse.

https://www.dailystartreknews.com/read/paramount-pictures-announces-new-star-trek-film-coming-in-june-2023?format=amp

June 9, 2023
    The next Star Trek film has an official release date: June 9, 2023. The announcement came from Paramount Studios over the weekend, and was posted to StarTrek.com. This will be the first feature film for the franchise since the 2016 film Star Trek Beyond, directed by Justin Lin.11 Apr 2021

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Post edited by Sad Professor on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

has an imdb page, seems pretty clear that it's in the J.J. Abrams universe

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4756228/
    Plot kept under wraps. The follow-up to Star Trek Beyond (2016).

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4756228/fullcredits
    Produced by
    J.J. Abrams ... producer

I hope Giacchino is still involved!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,210 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Yeah that music was brilliant. Real Trek feel to his stuff.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Another name has been announced around this, as Wandavision's Matt Shakman is now attached to direct a Trek film - so by the time something solidifies the Kelvin cast will be old enough to do their own version of the "I'm getting too old for this" arc taken with the 80s films...

https://deadline.com/2021/07/star-trek-film-director-wandavision-matt-shakman-1234792438/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,557 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Lol at Pixelburp

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Rawr

I wonder if they ever will do another Kelvin movie. They announce this fairly often...but nothing ever seems to materialise. They might be better off trying to get a TV-franchise that can work...and then make a movie out of that.

• Advertisement
    Ms

Yes I agree Pixulburp. Maybe "Strange New Worlds" will be that but I would prefer if it was set after Nemesis myself on a new ship with a new crew boldly going where no one has ever gone before and not back in the past again. Well Star Treks past our future.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It was really pointless of Discovery to be set in the past but then give us all this end of the Federation drama every season despite us knowing it will be fine.

I wanna see what happened where we left off last not all this memberberries and origin story crap

Ms

Exactly. Star Trek should be about going forward. Hopefully after "Strange New Worlds" any new shows will be set in the 25th Century and further.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Best change the title of the thread lads haha; looks like whatever form this movie takes, it'll be released 6 months later than originally planned;

• Registered Users Posts: 12,210 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

First read that I thought it was a Star Trek - Transformers crossover film

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement

You laugh but it probably happened in the comics. I know Doctor Who crossed over with TNG at least once.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I thought Star Trek movies had pretty much stalled. Didn't realise it was in active development

Ms

Discovery is a mess. I refuse to believe it is in the Prime Universe. Its in some fu-cked up alternate Universe.

Good luck with that but I hope it gets cancelled soon.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

@Sad Professor My eyes are twitching at the thread title; maybe let's remove the reference to the now-defunct date 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭thefallingman

I would love if Scottie was replaced, terrible terrible over actor he ruins it for me

"Active" is a bit of a stretch. AFAIK, there's a release date and a director (WandaVision's Matt Shakman, who I think is the 2nd, maybe 3rd, director attached) and writing team; but there's next to nothing known about what shape the film will take. Especially whether it'll see the return of the 2009 Enterprise crew, which is kind of a critical point as to where the Writers are allowed go. Can't write a big, epic Enterprise story if Chris Pine's unavailable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Rawr

If they were any way clever about this (a big ask, I know), they should just write a good story in the Trek universe that doesn't involve the Enterprise at all. Then they would not need to hire Chris Pine or any of the others. If they could somehow make a good Trek movie, the audience is there.

....or I dunno, make a Discovery Movie and just piss off everyone...hard to tell with these people.

Ms

Ye a movie on the Excelsior would be cool on even on a whole new ship altogether maybe an Akira class ship or some other class. Have them mention the Entetprise but that is about it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Ach leave the man alone, it's not like James Doohan was subtle.

The thing is, the cast in that 2009 movie were much smaller names when that film came out; indeed, a then-unknown Chris Hemsworth briefly played George Kirk, which is kinda nuts. Since then, a lot of the cast's stars have risen that yeah, I can sorta get why Chris Pine's a bit done with Trek. Not to mention the reality that hiring them back would involve some serious cash parting hands.

Point being, just from a sheer numbers point of view, it seems a little crazy to try and get another movie out of that crew. The three we got were a definite case of diminishing returns so that leaves ... what? Either a story with a completely brand new crew - which feels too brave for IP driven Hollywood - or a Kelvinverse version of TNG.

I just hope whatever they do, they DON'T mega-budget their way, and make something at < $100 million; let the story and characters shine and give the movie a larger run at success than the mega-blockbuster that will inevitably fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Yeah, that's pretty much what I figured (I know Pegg was bandied about to direct also). I mean there were all the different ideas: Kirk's dad (Yeah right, I'm sure Helmsworth would come back :) ), Tarantino's one.

I can't see it happening, to be honest. Not with the current crew. Not for another 8 years or so. It's hard to see what the next trend will be. We went straight from Marvel/Superhero movie overload to lockdown. Dune, thankfully, did well (As well as can be expected given post lockdown and the fact that there was a perfect HBO Max copy online before cinema launch).

I just don't know if there is the appetite so spend 100M plus the same again on international promotion. The cinema landscape has changed so much over the last few years. It will change back after some time. Maybe even as early as 2023 when Dune part 2 comes out and the next Nolan film and others. But I think people are a bit shellshocked at the moment and (This may cause some backlash) while I enjoy Trek on the big screen....... I think its real home is on TV and they are huge budget episodes

• Registered Users Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭flazio

And say what you will about Discovery plot lines or lack thereof, you can't argue that there's not a big cinematography budget put into the look of the series.

Ms

Ye just a pity all the fake Aliens in it and ships so far have been so ugly.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

We're seeing an increasing number of mid budget films get first pop on the streaming services of various studios. I wouldn't be surprised if this nebulous Trek film eventually finds itself on Paramount's own. 2023 is a long way away of course.

I think Trek is perfectly suited to the cinema, the problem is the space that they occupied doesn't really exist at the moment; mid-budget, adult skewed mainstream entertainment. It was interesting how the last two Marvel movies didn't get a release in China - including the one arguably geared towards pandering to the country. While Dunes modest success but good word of mouth has shown there is a gap for entertainment that hasn't been excessively infantilised. So maybe there's a chance the market's changing again.

Cos if it were up to me, I'd budget a Trek film at 50-100 million tops, hire a hungry and smart director with a genuine interest in Trek (that isn't "let's yet again subvert the utopia"), and build a healthy profit margin through sensible budgeting and engaging script that works with the medium beyond "explosions!"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,149 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Or the easiest way to make sure your movie turns a profit when you're working with such an established IP as Star Trek: gut the marketing budget. I'm totally unconvinced that these 100m marketing spends ever see a return on their cost. It's a new Star Trek movie: Empire will still give it a cover, Youtubers will still be analysing every frame of the trailer: a modest budget for a billboard campaign and send forward your cast for the chat show circuit and you're done imo. There's no need to be on every bus, every bus-stop, every TV & Radio ad-break and promoted tweet. Once a fan base like Trek knows when the film is coming (and have been convinced by the trailer that it isn't the Michael Burnham show again) they'll show up.

Ms

So the latest news is that the next film will be out on Decemver 2023 if there are no more delays. I can see that becoming May or June 24 yet.

It has not even started shooting yet.

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a864366/star-trek-4-cast-release-date-trailer-plot-spoilers-chris-pine-chris-hemsworth/

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I'd like to see Seth MacFarlane have a crack at directing a new Star Trek movie. The man obviously loves and respects star trek and as we saw with the new season of The Orville he knows how to make good trek.

• Advertisement
    Ms

Yes me too.

I Think they have a director for this one do so maybe for the next one.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement