Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

.308 Rifle

• 28-05-2021 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Can you get a .308 rifle for long range target shooting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Richard308

You can have any caliber on a standard licence once it is not semi auto, not over 8mm. .308w is 7.62mm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭alanmc

Richard308 wrote: »
    You can have any caliber on a standard licence once it is not semi auto, not over 8mm. .308w is 7.62mm

Is it 8mm? I thought the .308 or 7.62mm was the max for unrestricted. For instance, I was under the impression a K98 in 7.92mm was restricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Not the actual wording of the law but a good starting point for references-
    The Garda Commissioner's Guidelines as to the Practical Application and Operation of the Firearms Acts, 1925-2009.
    Issued in accordance with section 3A of The Firearms Act, 1925 as inserted by section 31 of the Criminal Justice Act, 2006.

Additionally, any rim fire rifle with a magazine holding in excess of 10 rounds is defined as a restricted firearm, as is any rifle exceeding .308 inch (7.62mm) calibre and whose overall length is less than 35.4 inches (90 cm).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

SI 21/2008

(i) single-shot or repeating rifled centre-fire firearms of a calibre not exceeding 7.62 millimetres (.308 inch) and whose overall length is greater than 90 centimetres,
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Richard308

alanmc wrote: »
    Is it 8mm? I thought the .308 or 7.62mm was the max for unrestricted. For instance, I was under the impression a K98 in 7.92mm was restricted.

Hi Alan, you are correct, technically 308w and 7.62 nato are 30 calibre. Both are actually 7.82mm. And Mauser is 8.23mm.
    Sorry for the confusion. Our laws refer to 30calibre.
    Like everything in this country there to confuse. Yeah everything is metric but let’s put laws in imperial. ;-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement