Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ryder Cup 2020 [Official Thread!]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,339 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Wiesberger had a chance to secure his but he didnt take advantage of it. He'll only gain about 160 european points which will still leave him 600 behind McIlroy and he'll gain about 5 world points which is worth SFA to him

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Rikand wrote: »
    Wiesberger had a chance to secure his but he didnt take advantage of it. He'll only gain about 160 european points which will still leave him 600 behind McIlroy and he'll gain about 5 world points which is worth SFA to him

To be honest I'm not sure about Wiesberger as a potential Ryder Cup player. He's got a good few Euro tour wins but his record in the US is fairly poor and I fear he'd be another Andy Sullivan/Chris Wood. If it came to it I'd be picking Westwood, Poulter or even Garcia over him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

The form of victor perez is a worry . If he qualifies he will only play the singles !

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    The form of victor perez is a worry . If he qualifies he will only play the singles !

Which is why I'm rooting for literally anybody else to overtake him and get the qualifying spot even Wiesberger. There is no chance Perez gets a pick if he doesnt make it, but thankfully there is still a full summer of golf for someone to come along and take that spot off him or for him to even find his form once again

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

To be honest I'm not sure about Wiesberger as a potential Ryder Cup player. He's got a good few Euro tour wins but his record in the US is fairly poor and I fear he'd be another Andy Sullivan/Chris Wood. If it came to it I'd be picking Westwood, Poulter or even Garcia over him.

Struggling to get a strong team, none of the above 3 as experienced as they are showing great form.

• Advertisement

Speak Now wrote: »
    Struggling to get a strong team, none of the above 3 as experienced as they are showing great form.

Ya I think the last 3 or 4 spots on the team will be significantly weaker than the US equivalent. Could make all the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

callaway92 wrote: »
    Doesn’t he have a Hole In One at one? (May have been K Club)
    Rikand wrote: »
    Yep and he won his match with it. It was in foursomes or fourball

I played the course the other week and was just thinking of that moment back in 2006 as I walked up onto the tee because I was standing beside him when he holed out. I don't think that actually won the match if I remember correctly, but it meant that the opposition had to hold their tee shot to keep it alive. They didn't and the point was won for Europe. I think he was partnered with David Howell that day but can't remember if it was the four ball or foresomes

Victor Perez has missed the cut at the open by 1 shot. Genuine opportunity for someone to finally overtake him on the world points list. Matthew Fitz close to overtaking Rory on the European Points list, but it would make no difference on the team selection as Rory is home and hosed from the World Points List.

People behind Victor who have made the cut in Bold Italic because colours dont seem to be an option anymore

World Points List

[TABLE]Name|Points|Position

9|Victor PEREZ|187.37

10|Shane LOWRY|184.60

11|Guido MIGLIOZZI|169.57

12|Bernd WIESBERGER|162.96

13|Ian POULTER|146.12

14|Robert MACINTYRE|143.79

15|Justin ROSE|142.59

16|Thomas DETRY|141.16

17|Sergio GARCIA|137.58

18|Danny WILLETT|129.92

19|Richard BLAND|107.65

20|Matt WALLACE|106.61

21|Rafa CABRERA BELLO|101.27[/TABLE]

No need for a European Points list as the top 5 are currently on the team and well clear of all behind them

And of course tables dont work

Lowry is the best of the bolded players above so hopefully he can finally overtake Victor and put some distance on it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭Trampas

Perez needs a miracle to get on the plane. Hasn’t a hope of a pick at this stage.

i doubt he’ll remain in auto spot

• Advertisement

One of the lads on the golf course told me today that Lowry had already overtaken Perez by virtue of making the cut. Hopefully he does a bit better than that tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 21,108 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

A solid round by Lowry tomorrow should see him on the plane, be worthy of a pick at a minimum. Not many European players in top 10, so fair play to Lowry

Matthew Fitz has overtaken Rory on the European Points list. Makes no difference in the grand scheme of things as Rory just takes his spot from the World Points list anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭abff

I had it in my head that Westwood was a shoe in for an automatic qualifying spot, but I think he’s going to need to pick up quite a few more World ranking points if he wants to stay in the top 9. As things currently stand, he could easily be passed by Shane in the World points list and he would then move out of the top 9 if Wiesberger (or one the the other players below him) moves ahead of Fitzpatrick in the European points list.

Will he get a pick if he doesn’t qualify automatically?

I'd say he will. Harro is going to pick experience for his 3 picks. Sergio and Poulter are already shoe ins to be picked so if Westy didnt make it, for someone like Wiesberger or Perez, he would definitely get the experience pick

I agree. Do you think Shane will get a pick if he finishes one spot outside the qualifying places?

The current automatic qualifiers are Rahm, Fleetwood, Hatton, Fitzpatrick, McIlroy, Hovland, Casey, Westwood and Lowry. I reckon Padraig won’t be too unhappy if that remains unchanged by the cut off date.

If it does remain unchanged, who do you fancy for the wild card picks? Poulter, Garcia and Rose are currently 5th, 6th and 7th of those next in line and would seem to me to be the obvious choices unless they show absolutely no form over the coming weeks.

Another option would be Molinari, but he’s way down in the current rankings and would need a huge run of form to even come under consideration. But the success of his partnership last time around with Fleetwood would have to be taken into account if he shows some decent form.

I think he will. He has shown enough form in the last few weeks to get him over the line of a pick if needed. He has basically done what harrington asked him to do in just showing form.

Not a bad team at all on paper.

Regarding the picks I think Poulter is a lock and Garcia probably is too.

The third would be either Rose or McIntyre I assume. I don't think Wiesberger will get a pick. Molinari hasn't a hope unless he catches fire over the next month. Ditto Perez.

Can't think of anyone else that'd be considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Can't see him giving a pick to McIntyre. Generally Ryder Cup debuts need to be earned by qualifying and the captains picks are held over for those with previous experience.

• Advertisement

The same could be said of Lowry. It could come down to a choice between Lowry and MacIntyre for the final wild card pick. I wouldn’t like to be in Padraig’s shoes if that’s where things end up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I think that's an easy decision to be honest. Major Champion and WGC winner who has been at the top level for a number of years Vs a virtual rookie.

If Lowry doesn't get in automatically the decision would need to be who to leave out from Garcia, Poulter, Lowry and Rose - McIntyre shouldn't even be in the discussion if that happens.

McIntyre missed the cut in the states at the weekend. Garcia made the cut and finished T25th. Only got a slight nudge in his world points ranking

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Rory saying in his post Olympic play off interview that he's looking forward to being paired up with Shane at the Ryder Cup

• Registered Users Posts: 21,108 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Just saw that, saying it'll be Shane's first and he'd be happy to take a rookie around. Be great to see a new Irish name in there

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bamayang

The more you get the likes of Rory saying that, the more people will start thinking ‘oh of course Lowry will get a pick”

*hopefully won’t need the pick.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Given his hot/cold putting it could turn out to be a very critical decision by P to pick Shane, he has the same (if not better due to PGA ranking points) opportunity as everyone else to qualify.

RC needs solid/clutch putters more that any other golfing quality

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Shane will gain another 5.6 world points after his Tied 22nd place finish at the Olympics which will extend his lead slightly further over Perez

I’m afraid not. Points earned in the Olympics don’t count towards Ryder Cup qualification,

• Advertisement

The Ryder Cup World Points List will comprise points as follows:

• (a) Each Official World Golf Ranking Point won by a Member1 from all OWGR tournaments** in which he Participated, that concluded between Thursday 19th September 2019 and Sunday 8th March 2020 = 1 point.
    • (b) Each Official World Golf Ranking Point won by a Member1 from all OWGR tournaments** in which he Participates, that are scheduled to conclude between 1stJanuary 2021 and Sunday 9th May 2021 = 1.5 points.
    • (c) Each Official World Golf Ranking Point won by a Member1 from all OWGR tournaments** in which he Participates, that are scheduled to conclude between Wednesday 12th May and Sunday 12th September 2021 = 2 points.
    •  **Excludes the 2021 men’s Olympic Golf Tournament and any tournament2 scheduled in the same week as a [European Tour] Rolex Series Tournament.

Official World Golf Ranking Points are allocated to all officially sanctioned tournaments (on any Federated Tour) by the Official World Golf Ranking and are allocated according to the Event Rating of the tournament.

Advertisement