Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Man pleads guilty to €4 of cannabis

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

Apologies, I forgot that importing illegal sustances thereby avoiding insurance, Duty, tax and employment costs isnt a viable criminal enterprise and thats why no criminal gangs, mafias or the like are engaged in smuggling.

Yes, there is a booming industry for smuggled diesel, alcohol and tobacco. Your ignorance or the attempt to change this to 'home brew' scenarios doesnt change this.

Its very lucrative and has been for many years to our friends that havent gone away and is why theres dozens of sellers on Moore Street alone

20 cigarettes cost about 13 euro here, in Spain they're about 4.50 and in Gibraltar and other countries they're cheaper, that's why we have dozens of sellers on Moore Street and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Hobby farmer

mohawk wrote: »
    I don’t think a fivers worth should be prosecuted, however Guards should be getting drug drivers off the roads. So they were right to try test your friend.

It’s ridiculous it should be a fCPN at worst.

However this guys (friends) story makes no sense. If the car was taken it was not for the drugs offence but some other road traffic matter i.e insurance tax etc.

If he was on his way back and a doctor was called this means he was arrested on suspicion of drug driving.

Not all Gardai are trained in the use of the road side test so if he were being tested at the roadside a trained member was present. It’s not a thing you just have a go at.

If his friend was arrested then a “top cop” ringing isn’t getting him out of it. Also if there were 5 guards at the checkpoint as the poster stated there was, then the checkpoint could operate fine with the arresting member gone, so el top cop wouldn’t be bothered about his buddy being arrested.

Therefor the poster is full of ****

Big Gerry wrote: »
    The Gardai never seem to arrest the Junkies who are selling drugs on Dublin's boardwalk every day of the week.

They do, but they don’t go straight to prison (if at all) generally they themselves are addicts so go straight back out selling. It’s one big merry go round

• Registered Users Posts: 22 flask_fan

They do, but they don’t go straight to prison (if at all) generally they themselves are addicts so go straight back out selling. It’s one big merry go round
    Maybe they need some kind of medical treatment.

In fact maybe crime without an obvious victim should be treated as a medical/ psychological matter generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭enricoh

It’s ridiculous it should be a fCPN at worst.

However this guys (friends) story makes no sense. If the car was taken it was not for the drugs offence but some other road traffic matter i.e insurance tax etc.

If he was on his way back and a doctor was called this means he was arrested on suspicion of drug driving.

Not all Gardai are trained in the use of the road side test so if he were being tested at the roadside a trained member was present. It’s not a thing you just have a go at.

If his friend was arrested then a “top cop” ringing isn’t getting him out of it. Also if there were 5 guards at the checkpoint as the poster stated there was, then the checkpoint could operate fine with the arresting member gone, so el top cop wouldn’t be bothered about his buddy being arrested.

Therefor the poster is full of ****

Oh dear, how edgy!
    point out the bit where I stated there was 5 cops at the checkpoint for us will ya. Good chap.

• Advertisement

enricoh wrote: »
    Oh dear, how edgy!
    point out the bit where I stated there was 5 cops at the checkpoint for us will ya. Good chap.

Apologies you implied this was at the station. Again a trained operator would have been there. The doctor doesn’t meet you at a station near him either he comes to where the prisoner is

flask_fan wrote: »

In fact maybe crime without an obvious victim should be treated as a medical/ psychological matter generally.

Absolutely, it’s the same the world over, treating the addiction as a crime doesn’t work. Unfortunately the desperation of the addict can (not in all cases) lead to crime to pay for the drugs. Some addicts instead sell to other addicts so they can make there own bit, thereby becoming dealers. It’s a vicious cycle that really does nobody any good.

Tomaldo wrote: »
    20 cigarettes cost about 13 euro here, in Spain they're about 4.50 and in Gibraltar and other countries they're cheaper, that's why we have dozens of sellers on Moore Street and elsewhere.

Correct.

They are smuggled in and the legal ones are undercut. As I said

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Depending on the criminals, there may be some fear there. A local sergeant had some of the local gang (a prolific and well known thug group involved in large scale criminal activites) call to his house, he wasn't there, but his wife and 3 kids were. Said scrotes then went on to advise the wife that if sergeant didn't back off, they would burn the house down while they slept. It happens unfortunately.

Most likely this is a drugs unit case, so unsurprisingly it revolved around drugs. They obviously expected more, as no one would give a warrant if there was only going to a small bit. I'd say this lad was prosecuted because it was on the foot of a warrant and he has previous.

Sorry but I find that very hard to believe. Whatever about threatening a Garda on duty anyone threatening a Garda's wife would need to have their head examined.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Vestiapx wrote: »
    Sorry but I find that very hard to believe. Whatever about threatening a Garda on duty anyone threatening a Garda's wife would need to have their head examined.

I don't have any way to convince you, only that I did the job for 9 years and can confirm it does happen. Thankfully, not extremely often, but it's not uncommon. You rarely hear about them though because the family don't want any more attention. This is a podcast on 98fm, I haven't listened to it, but as per the blurb:

Today on Dublin Talks, we spoke to a wife of a Dublin Garda, who revealed that both herself and her children have received death threats in public from thugs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭spring lane jack

flask_fan wrote: »

Careers are made in busting people for drugs so the Gardaí would oppose any efforts to make drugs a health rather than a crime issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Careers are made in busting people for drugs so the Gardaí would oppose any efforts to make drugs a health rather than a crime issue.

Except the reality is very different.

https://www.garda.ie/en/crime/drugs/national-drug-strategy-reducing-harm-supporting-recovery-2017-2025.html

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40192791.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭spring lane jack

Witcher wrote: »

The reality on the streets is very different.

“Having accepted that under Ireland’s legal system decriminalisation involves the removal of the offence the working group could not consider this approach as appropriate in the Irish context.”

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/arid-30938948.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

The reason that this made the news is that Irish people have become used to the Garda use of discretion. The current management is working to put an end to this, Gardaí will look to the example set in Limerick this year where guards were arrested and charged for perverting the course of justice for attempting to cancel road traffic offences. It will be a silly guard who will just turn a blind eye to even a small amount of drugs nowadays, especially if he or she wants to keep their job.

The next few years will be a big shock to the system for both Gardaí and citizens, the days of just a stern talking to on the side of the road are almost over.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

The reality on the streets is very different.

“Having accepted that under Ireland’s legal system decriminalisation involves the removal of the offence the working group could not consider this approach as appropriate in the Irish context.”

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/arid-30938948.html

That article says nothing about AGS's view alone on the strategy. It's a report from a round table working group encompassing;
    The committee was chaired by Mr Justice Garreth Sheehan and included six senior civil servants from the departments of justice and health. There was a senior member of the gardaí, the HSE Addiction Services, and the Probation Service.

There was a lawyer from the DPP’s office, a senior law lecturer, and a Health Research Board expert. There were two former drug users.

I don't have any way to convince you, only that I did the job for 9 years and can confirm it does happen. Thankfully, not extremely often, but it's not uncommon. You rarely hear about them though because the family don't want any more attention. This is a podcast on 98fm, I haven't listened to it, but as per the blurb:

Today on Dublin Talks, we spoke to a wife of a Dublin Garda, who revealed that both herself and her children have received death threats in public from thugs

Oh I fully believe that threats are made ,maybe I'm getting old and out of touch but I'd have assumed that the grief from the varied retaliation would not be worth it.

The reason that this made the news is that Irish people have become used to the Garda use of discretion. The current management is working to put an end to this, Gardaí will look to the example set in Limerick this year where guards were arrested and charged for perverting the course of justice for attempting to cancel road traffic offences. It will be a silly guard who will just turn a blind eye to even a small amount of drugs nowadays, especially if he or she wants to keep their job.

The next few years will be a big shock to the system for both Gardaí and citizens, the days of just a stern talking to on the side of the road are almost over.

The problem with this is that bad attitudes towards the Garda are learned by younger people. If they are being punished for a small amount of cannabis and with it legalised and all that came with that in the last 5 years in the USA they will feel victimised and anti Garda which is a problem. Unless you are a criminal making a living from your deeds you should never feel anti Garda but more and more you see videos from twats that look on them as the enemy.

Advertisement